Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

IU Mens/Womens Swimming and Diving

49 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

It seems like these Hafnaoui stories aren’t going away and are somehow getting stranger.

https://swimswam.com/defending-400-freestyle-olympic-champion-ahmed-hafnaoui-will-miss-paris-olympics/

I had just seen that article. It does confirm that he won't be coming back to IU. In fact, he won't be training in the US. 

I hope everything is ok with the guy. It's all so strange.

54 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That's a huge pickup. 2 A finals at the NCAAs and with a bit of improvement in the 3rd event could score in that. Also helps the medley relays in either back or fly. Plus, she has 3 years of eligibility left. Huge.

After the House v NCAA settlement, the SEC is discussing cutting the roster sizes of their swimming teams to 22 for men and 35 for women.  I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G did something similar. 

I expect that walk-ons in every sport are soon to be a thing of the past.

54 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

An ad disguised as an article but it is about Anna Peplowski. I didn't realize she has the current #2 time in the US for the 200 free. Sounds like she has a good chance at going to Paris.

https://swimswam.com/anna-peplowski-watch-out-world-this-amazing-young-talent-is-on-a-mission/

That was interesting. I’m not sure I’ve seen an adticle before. 

I didn’t realize she had done that either. I don’t think I’ve seen her mentioned in any predictions to make the team. 

On the men’s side there is another big time transfer coming in. 
https://swimswam.com/ncaa-champion-zalan-sarkany-announces-transfer-to-indiana-for-2024-2025-season-not-nc-state/

I caught some of the Olympic Trial prelims this morning. 

1. Lucas Oil looks awesome with this setup. I was ready to go until I saw the ticket prices. 
2. Lily King looked like Lily King. In control the whole race in the 100. 
3. Blake Pieroni retired and is back like he didn’t miss a single practice. 
4. Anna Peplowski swam a great 200 fr. She stuck close to Ledecky and finished strong. 
5. Brendan Burns had great underwaters in the 200 fr. I was surprised to see him entered there. A quick check looks like he’s also in the 100fl/200ba. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

I caught some of the Olympic Trial prelims this morning. 

1. Lucas Oil looks awesome with this setup. I was ready to go until I saw the ticket prices. 
2. Lily King looked like Lily King. In control the whole race in the 100. 
3. Blake Pieroni retired and is back like he didn’t miss a single practice. 
4. Anna Peplowski swam a great 200 fr. She stuck close to Ledecky and finished strong. 
5. Brendan Burns had great underwaters in the 200 fr. I was surprised to see him entered there. A quick check looks like he’s also in the 100fl/200ba. 

Matheny is the #2 seed in the 100 breast going into the finals tonight but it will be a very tight race. Only 0.44 seconds separates the 1st and 8th seeds. Cody Miller missed the final.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Matheny is the #2 seed in the 100 breast going into the finals tonight but it will be a very tight race. Only 0.44 seconds separates the 1st and 8th seeds. Cody Miller missed the final.

I saw those results but didn’t see any actual races. 
I hope Cody Miller rebounds in the 200 and makes a team. 

Matheny just misses a chance at the Olympics with a 3rd place finish. 0.07 seconds behind 2nd and 0.15 seconds from 1st.

A better LCM swimmer means he probably needs to work on his turns and underwaters a bit to really improve in SCY.

Other IU qualifiers: King - 1 in the 100 breast finals, Pieroni - 5 in the 200 free finals, Peplowski - 7 in the 200 free finals

For those that don't follow swimming too much, Pieroni and Peplowski can (likely) make the Olympics team by just finishing in the top 6 of the 200 free instead of top 2 as for most events. This is because of the 800m relay.

Off topic from the meet: This meet so far just makes my thought that much stronger that if IU did a better job of recruiting the state of Indiana, they'd be competing for NCAA championships every year. Carmel especially, but there are several other strong swim programs which produce some great swimmers.

I've often wondered why IU doesn't land those swimmers. Does Looze not have good relationships with the coaches?

King wins the 100 breast to secure her spot on her 3rd Olympic team. Peplowski finished 5th and Pieroni 6th in the 200 free to probably make the team.

23 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Matheny just misses a chance at the Olympics with a 3rd place finish. 0.07 seconds behind 2nd and 0.15 seconds from 1st.

A better LCM swimmer means he probably needs to work on his turns and underwaters a bit to really improve in SCY.

Other IU qualifiers: King - 1 in the 100 breast finals, Pieroni - 5 in the 200 free finals, Peplowski - 7 in the 200 free finals

For those that don't follow swimming too much, Pieroni and Peplowski can (likely) make the Olympics team by just finishing in the top 6 of the 200 free instead of top 2 as for most events. This is because of the 800m relay.

Off topic from the meet: This meet so far just makes my thought that much stronger that if IU did a better job of recruiting the state of Indiana, they'd be competing for NCAA championships every year. Carmel especially, but there are several other strong swim programs which produce some great swimmers.

I've often wondered why IU doesn't land those swimmers. Does Looze not have good relationships with the coaches?

I’ve wondered about this, too. IU does a decent job recruiting the state, but for some reason they don’t have the same success in Hamilton county. 

I really thought Matheny snuck in 2nd watching live. 

Parratto qualifies for her 3rd Olympics.

Something interesting in the article which I didn't know was that IU has had a fiber in every Olympics since '64. Impressive.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2024/6/18/parratto-punches-ticket-to-paris-third-olympics?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1kiEAePFpfQ6eby-z4M0a1VGPC0E4PBn7X_NzmxIlPIoM78gOHXMup8DY_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw

3 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Lilly just ekes her way into the Olympic team in the 200 breast stroke and she just got proposed to!

New hubs: “I love you”

Lilly: “Thank you…..uh I love you too”