Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

X-Hoosier

Looking to next season

This isn't the NBA. Villanova won the championship with a 3 guard lineup that were 6'2.5", 6'3", and 6'5".
Those heights are taken from Villanova's official website. And we know X's stance of teams' official sites: They lie on height.
So, according to X, the starting 3 guards for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS were 6'1.5", 6'2", and 6'4".
But sure, 6'7" guards should soon be a mainstay in college basketball dominance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That is why I said when we start getting 6-6 and 6-7 guards then we're getting somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Personally, if I were a coach I'd build it like an NBA team. Whether I was at Incarnate Word or Indiana. Height, length and athleticism. With such a small floor you could do a lot of damage defensively.

There is a good reason why only a select few make the NBA. It is rare to find size, skill, and athleticism hand in hand. There are 1000 Peter Jurkins for your Karl Anthony Towns.

That begs the question.. Those are the 3 key traits. Size, skill, athleticism. Which of the 3 is most valuable?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

There is a good reason why only a select few make the NBA. It is rare to find size, skill, and athleticism hand in hand. There are 1000 Peter Jurkins for your Karl Anthony Towns.

That begs the question.. Those are the 3 key traits. Size, skill, athleticism. Which of the 3 is most valuable?

Well I didn't say skill. I said Size, length and athleticism. But you really can't pick one of three. You need all on a team.

You need a mixture of long athletic players with high IQ glue guys. Of course, I would always rate skill as the highest priority.

Too much is given to off the bus eye test... I'm all for how they perform on the court. I'm a fan of court eye test...

I know it's probably not common but when I think of "length" it's kind of part of size and athleticism. Draymond Green kind of exemplifies that for me.

On a much more general level, it depends on your motives. Wisconsin has sacrificed athleticism and length in some areas for a higher skill level. Crean seems fascinated with length and athleticism while sacrificing high level skill. It takes something in between to win big.

So u want a team that is long, and athletic. Skilled or not? A team of Hanner Pereas?

My point is finding NBA size at every position for a college roster is usually going to yield a major lack of skills.

Well probably but you can get away with it in college basketball. Look at San Diego State. They aren't title contenders but they're normally around the Top 25 with a very strong defense. And if you're at a very small school then you'll be able to exploit many teams out of athleticism.

23 minutes ago, X-Hoosier said:

Well probably but you can get away with it in college basketball. Look at San Diego State. They aren't title contenders but they're normally around the Top 25 with a very strong defense. And if you're at a very small school then you'll be able to exploit many teams out of athleticism.

we have that now... (top 25). I don't think you're wrong on the long athletic part, but we need to find the combination to get us past the sweet 16. I think your point about defense is the key, but I'm not sure that's solely on long athletic players. We need that for sure, but we need good defense fundamentals. I think this year team will answer a lot of questions about defense philosophy for me. If we don't start out switching from m2m to zone in the middle of a possession, I'll be happy.

9 minutes ago, Ranger78 said:

we have that now... (top 25). I don't think you're wrong on the long athletic part, but we need to find the combination to get us past the sweet 16. I think your point about defense is the key, but I'm not sure that's solely on long athletic players. We need that for sure, but we need good defense fundamentals. I think this year team will answer a lot of questions about defense philosophy for me. If we don't start out switching from m2m to zone in the middle of a possession, I'll be happy.

The 2015 class was a fantastic get in terms of defense.  Bryant had a difficult time adjusting the PNR early in the season but that's not uncommon for frosh bigs.  JMo and OG have both instincts and ability to make them plus defenders.  Bryant gave up some inside stuff by not doing work early.  I don't see him having the same issues as a sophomore with most of the other bigs.  I would call all of them plus defenders.  I agree though, I would like to see a top 25 adjD this season.  If they start approaching that area we're into the Elite 8+ area. 

I wasn't necessarily talking about Indiana. But if I was a coach, and especially a coach of a very small school.. SWAC, MEAC, MAAC, NEC.. then I'd go with the philosophy. You could run a conference off that.

I wasn't necessarily talking about Indiana. But if I was a coach, and especially a coach of a very small school.. SWAC, MEAC, MAAC, NEC.. then I'd go with the philosophy. You could run a conference off that.

But, you did say Indiana in the original statement.

any word on whether he can ball? No doubt he is an athlete/physically mature, I think most are concerned he is a project vs someone that can help immediately

I understand that. But I kinda agree with X on this. You can continually build skill but size/lenghth/athleticism is something you are born with and can only be improved so much. Skills can be taught. If someone trains for 4 years hard on there shot, ball handling, defense,... They could improve a lot. However if they train 4 years trying to get bigger, faster strong they will only get as far as their genetics allow.