Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Emmitt Holt dismissed from team

Yes it was based on him being on the basketball team or rather on being an athlete at IU.    If he was kicked out of school, then Holt would have a point about how unfair he was treated. 

Regardless, if you represent IU and getting a free ride for your athletic ability, you SHOULD be held to higher standard.

GREAT POINT! These kids are getting a FREE ride.

Edit: Is it too much to ask for them to behave??

While I think Holt's numbers would have been improved this year, it's not really about stats. It's about versatility, flexibility and depth. Unless someone like Morgan really surprises and is ready for a somewhat large role at this level, we've lost the ability to go big for extended stretches. We're pretty much relegated to small ball now.

Say Maryland, Duke, Purdue, MSU, etc. are killing us inside, we would have been able to slide Troy to the 3 and then play Holt/Davis next to Bryant. In that case we'd still have Max to back-up Bryant. We could still slide Max to the 4 next to Bryant to go big, but then we risk Max and Bryant getting into foul trouble, with nobody behind them.

IMO, losing Holt and Davis really hurts our versatility and ability to play varying styles. Now the comeback to that is that Crean has never shown an ability or desire to play varying styles, so maybe it's moot.

:yes:  The last sentence. He is not gonna play 2 "bigs" unless 1 can shoot the three (ala Cwat).

Yes it was based on him being on the basketball team or rather on being an athlete at IU. If he was kicked out of school, then Holt would have a point about how unfair he was treated.

Regardless, if you represent IU and getting a free ride for your athletic ability, you SHOULD be held to higher standard.

Well, the post I initially replied to, you indicated Holt was incorrect to feel his punishment was due to the higher standard he was placed under as a member of the basketball team. Am I correct in reading this post as indicating you now agree with Holt that his discipline was due to his position with the team?

Well, the post I initially replied to, you indicated Holt was incorrect to feel his punishment was due to the higher standard he was placed under as a member of the basketball team. Am I correct in reading this post as indicating you now agree with Holt that his discipline was due to his position with the team?

Sorry, I guess my original post was confusing.  Yes, I agree with holt that he is held to a higher standard by being on the team, especially since you can't dismiss regular students from the team.

However, him acting like it is alright for him to do it because so many regular students do it is laughable.  I'm sure regular students get in trouble when caught but they have a lot less to lose.

At the end of the day, Holt would not trade places with these regular students that he wants to compare himself to...these students that are paying 6 figures over their 4 years at IU.   No one stopped Holt from being one of those students when he was kicked off the team.  

To whom much is given, much is expected. Nothing was stopping Emmitt from staying at IU, paying out of state tuition and drinking as much alcohol as his heart desired. If he wanted to do regular college kid things he could've decided to be a regular college student.

Kind of one of those things, if you don't click on the thread, you don't have to read what's in here. Your choice.

I don't like the blue image on mobile. One of those things where it's like "no no no no, okay" and leaves you with a sense of unaccomplished nothingness just went through your head

Got em ! ;)

Yes!

When you get:

• Free out of state tuition guaranteed for four years
  • National exposure
  • World class unlimited training and training facilities
  • A lifetime of job connections, and
  • More ass than a toilet seat...

You get held to a higher standard vis-a-vis not repeatedly getting into trouble with the police.

Great post!! I totally agree.