Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hwy 1

RMK and word choice again

The simple solution is to ban all words that begin with "R." How do I change my user name to "Ayl?" Would that offend recovering alcoholics?

I kid. I kid. It seems simple to me. Words have many different meanings. If you know a particular word is offensive to a group of people, you should probably refrain from using it in such a way that someone might take offense. If you don't what you meant will be lost. You will not be properly communicating your message. Even if you didn't mean to offend, the failure to communicate your message is on you.

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="53391" timestamp="1395771515"]I'm really confused by this statement. Are you saying that your posting is not a reflection of who you are? If this is so it seems like it would be difficult to consistently post in a manner in which is not natural to your personality. How do you pull that off and why do it? [/quote]

Oh good Lord! Looks like I have to explain myself. I was trying to attack the people who are equate the word rape with the N-word. The N-word is a vile disgusting word used only in hate. The word rape can be used in many different context. For people demanding ESPN fire Coach Knight or issue an apology because he use the word rape is ridiculous. If Sting uses the word rape as in people are raping the Amazon forest everybody will be jumping up-and-down and cheering him. But Coach Knight said the word rape so everybody comes out and attacked him. I can use the word rate even though I am not a female nor a rape victim. There is an alternate definition of such in the dictionary.

And to attack my character because I believe what I believe without you getting to know me is way below the belt and I thought this board was way above that. You can agree or disagree with my opinion but attacking my character is totally wrong.

Maybe if this board is so happy with this kind of character assassinations of its members maybe I need to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Oh good Lord! Looks like I have to explain myself. I was trying to attack the people who are equate the word rape with the N-word. The N-word is a vile disgusting word used only in hate. The word rape can be used in many different context. For people demanding ESPN fire Coach Knight or issue an apology because he use the word rape is ridiculous. If Sting uses the word rape as in people are raping the Amazon forest everybody will be jumping up-and-down and cheering him. But Coach Knight said the word rape so everybody comes out and attacked him. I can use the word rate even though I am not a female nor a rape victim. There is an alternate definition of such in the dictionary.

And to attack my character because I believe what I believe without you getting to know me is way below the belt and I thought this board was way above that. You can agree or disagree with my opinion but attacking my character is totally wrong.

Maybe if this board is so happy with this kind of character assassinations of its members maybe I need to move on.

Where did I attack your character? I asked a question of which you still haven't answered but did a nice little tirade on me instead.

y is it ok for everybody else to say "inappropriate" words but the General says something and oooohhhh look out. get over it people. bobby knight is the man!

IUfan34

I agree 110% with this. Well, all except the bit about "moving on". It's more fun with you in here.

[quote name="Buck Naked" post="53408" timestamp="1395773102"]Oh good Lord! Looks like I have to explain myself. I was trying to attack the people who are equate the word rape with the N-word. The N-word is a vile disgusting word used only in hate. The word rape can be used in many different context. For people demanding ESPN fire Coach Knight or issue an apology because he use the word rape is ridiculous. If Sting uses the word rape as in people are raping the Amazon forest everybody will be jumping up-and-down and cheering him. But Coach Knight said the word rape so everybody comes out and attacked him. I can use the word rate even though I am not a female nor a rape victim. There is an alternate definition of such in the dictionary.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Now look who needs to lighten up. :)

Calm down Francis.

RMK can say whatever he wants. hes the man and always will be. im so sick of the puzzification of todays society and generation of kids. he tells u like it is and if u dont like it then u dont have to agree with it. he's old school and still has the disciplinarian mentality. people these days are too PC and weak. he wasnt using the word towards women or anybody directly. get over it. we need a coach like him again.

IUfan34

RMK can say whatever he wants. hes the man and always will be. im so sick of the puzzification of todays society and generation of kids. he tells u like it is and if u dont like it then u dont have to agree with it. he's old school and still has the disciplinarian mentality. people these days are too PC and weak. he wasnt using the word towards women or anybody directly. get over it. we need a coach like him again.

IUfan34

Do you like Bobby Knight? I can't be certain

[quote name="eddiejsmall" post="53377" timestamp="1395770501"]keep it up, I just might. :) lol

Good debate, my biggest grammer error has always been you, your, and you're.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

GrammAr. Sorry, call me out, that one just drives me nuts because everyone gets it wrong!

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="53469" timestamp="1395776783"]GrammAr. Sorry, call me out, that one just drives me nuts because everyone gets it wrong![/quote]

and the word GrammAr! :)

[quote name="CampCrean" post="53451" timestamp="1395775809"]What does everyone think about the 20 year old rule for the NBA before this gets locked up. [/quote]

I think they should be able to go pro out of HS, but if they choose college then they stay 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="CampCrean" post="53451" timestamp="1395775809"]What does everyone think about the 20 year old rule for the NBA before this gets locked up. [/quote]

I like it. Would make the NBA and College ball better. I would really like to allow NBA teams to draft players after high school and still allow them to go to college. Then they can pull them out of college when they see fit.

IUfan34

This, x 1000

[quote name="TrueHoosier62" post="53476" timestamp="1395777140"]This, x 1000[/quote]

The problem with this line of thinking is that the same "kids" you are talking about WILL NOT play for a coach like Knight in today's society. I see it first hand, kids do not respond to discipline like they used to.

Used to be able to break kids down, while building them back up. Now kids break down and just quit...

Times have changed. Frank Martin is probably the closest current coach to Knight in demeanor. Things go very bad for Frank at K-State. Boosters were not all very pleased with his antics. Players were meeting with the AD behind closed doors and threatening to leave if Martin wasn't fired. ( Inside info from family connections. You can choose to believe it or not. Don't care either way. ) Martin was on his way out. He read the handwriting on the wall and left while he still could.

Knight's schtick wouldn't work today. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is a different matter.

You also are aware that the word has a sexual context, SO DON'T USE IT.

rape[ reyp ]
noun
1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
3. statutory rape
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object) [raped, rap·ing.]
1. to force to have sexual intercourse.
2. to plunder (a place); despoil.
3. to seize, take, or carry off by force.
verb (used without object) [raped, rap·ing.]
1. to commit rape.
noun
1. a plant, Brassica napus, of the mustard family, whose leaves are used for food for hogs, sheep, etc., and whose seeds yield rape oil.
2. the residue of grapes, after the juice has been extracted, used as a filter in making vinegar.

Wow! We can't use words that have a sexual context? A really screwed up PC world gone crazy. Pardon me, but I'll use whatever the hell words I choose to. 

I like it. Would make the NBA and College ball better. I would really like to allow NBA teams to draft players after high school and still allow them to go to college. Then they can pull them out of college when they see fit.

MLB rule, you can go out of HS, but if you go to college, you stay there for 3.