Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

OT: Buzz Williams to VT

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="51322" timestamp="1395440355"]Just had a thought. This is just a hypothetical scenario. So lets say he doesn't like the new coach and decides he wants to come back. Coach says ok. Does he have to sit out Fall Semester? Honestly, I don't even know if that would be allowed even if coach was ok with it, just curious how it would work.[/quote]

I think he would have to sit because he's at Marquette now on a scholarship

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think he would have to sit because he's at Marquette now on a scholarship

Don't they get out of that if the coach leaves?

Buzz Williams did a great job coaching Tom Crean's guys but once they were gone he struggled. Marquette fans didn't care for Buzz. I've heard they still miss Coach Crean.

I agree... he made his bed when he messed up ours... time to sleep in it!

How dare he choose what was best for him and his family. Shame on him.

Buzz Williams did a great job coaching Tom Crean's guys but once they were gone he struggled. Marquette fans didn't care for Buzz. I've heard they still miss Coach Crean.

In Williams's first two years the best they did was the second round of the NCAAs.  His 3rd and 4th years were both Sweet 16s, and his 5th year was an Elite 8.  This season wasn't very good (ours was a dumpster fire), but the last couple years he did just as well as Tom Crean did here.  I wouldn't exactly say he struggled with his own players.

I was on the Scout board when Crean was hired, they didn't miss Crean much and had many of the same complaints about him that we do.

Marquette coach Buzz Williams is headed to Virginia Tech.

According to multiple sources, Williams -- who has led the Golden Eagles to five NCAA tournament berths in six seasons since taking over for Tom Crean -- is heading to Blacksburg with a seven-year deal.

Williams, 41, is 139-65 in his tenure at Marquette and went to the Elite Eight in 2013 and a pair of Sweet 16's in 2011 and 2012.

Williams replaces James Johnson -- who won 22 games in two seasons after being tabbed to replace Seth Greenberg. Johnson was fired earlier in the month by new athletic director Whit Babcock.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10648381/buzz-williams-leave-marquette-golden-eagles-coach-virginia-tech-hokies?src=mobile

Marquette coach Buzz Williams is headed to Virginia Tech.

According to multiple sources, Williams -- who has led the Golden Eagles to five NCAA tournament berths in six seasons since taking over for Tom Crean -- is heading to Blacksburg with a seven-year deal.

Williams, 41, is 139-65 in his tenure at Marquette and went to the Elite Eight in 2013 and a pair of Sweet 16's in 2011 and 2012.

Williams replaces James Johnson -- who won 22 games in two seasons after being tabbed to replace Seth Greenberg. Johnson was fired earlier in the month by new athletic director Whit Babcock.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10648381/buzz-williams-leave-marquette-golden-eagles-coach-virginia-tech-hokies?src=mobile

Oh my gosh this is wonderful news for all IU fans. Maybe just maybe CTC will go back to Marquette, or would they want him. Well any way I hope so because he aint wanted at Bloomington. Please Marquette come and make CTC an offer. Please!!!

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="51386" timestamp="1395446398"]In Williams's first two years the best they did was the second round of the NCAAs. His 3rd and 4th years were both Sweet 16s, and his 5th year was an Elite 8. This season wasn't very good (ours was a dumpster fire), but the last couple years he did just as well as Tom Crean did here. I wouldn't exactly say he struggled with his own players.

I was on the Scout board when Crean was hired, they didn't miss Crean much and had many of the same complaints about him that we do.[/quote]

They shouldn't complain like we do! At least he led them to a final 4! Shoot, I forgot what it felt like to make it past the Sweet 16!

Oh my gosh this is wonderful news for all IU fans. Maybe just maybe CTC will go back to Marquette, or would they want him. Well any way I hope so because he aint wanted at Bloomington. Please Marquette come and make CTC an offer. Please!!!

Wow.

What a condescending, off topic, unnecessary post.

For shame.

https://btownbanners.com/topic/4854-crean-threads-and-forum-civility/

How dare he choose what was best for him and his family. Shame on him.

He should of made that decision to begin with... You don't play non conference and then say hey "i don't like it here" and not honor your commitment to, not just I.U., but the TEAM he let down! Are you kidding me? Am I missing some sarcasm here? 

They shouldn't complain like we do! At least he led them to a final 4! Shoot, I forgot what it felt like to make it past the Sweet 16!

He didn't do as well at Marquette as you think he did.  He had that one year and that was about it, aside from that one year they were little more than decent for 8 of 9 years.

I'm going to bow out of this now before it this thread gets hijacked, but you should look at what they both did at Marquette and look at Crean's entire career there instead of picking out the only good year he had.  Marquette was merely decent with Crean and Williams has done just as well at Marquette as Crean has done here.

I guess I have a little less harsh attitude toward Luke Fischer.

Seems like he's a pretty nice kid that thought he made the right decision, but once he got on campus realized it wasn't for him and cut his losses early.

I must admit I smirked a bit about what his reaction must have been when Buzz pulled the rug out, but I still wish Luke was at IU.

He should of made that decision to begin with... You don't play non conference and then say hey "i don't like it here" and not honor your commitment to, not just I.U., but the TEAM he let down! Are you kidding me? Am I missing some sarcasm here? 

He's 18 years old and moved far away from home for the first time in his life. He obviously didn't make his decision in one day. He probably decided it long before he made the decision and told the coaching staff. If he didn't enjoy attending Indiana then he has every right to up and leave whenever he pleases. It's his life, not yours. Wishing him ill-will because he wanted to be happy and do what was best for himself and his family is ridiculous.

[quote name="Plasticjimmyhat" post="51399" timestamp="1395447230"]He should of made that decision to begin with... You don't play non conference and then say hey "i don't like it here" and not honor your commitment to, not just I.U., but the TEAM he let down! Are you kidding me? Am I missing some sarcasm here? [/quote] Agreed. He's a big boy now and he knew how far away from home he was going to be when he made the choice. He should have manned up. He gets No sympathy from me. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app