Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

Coach Crean's Game Plan

We Hoosiers are quick to point the finger when things go wrong, but that was one HELL of a coached game. Crean out coached a guy who had historically taken Crean to the woodshed.

Would have been 100% perfect game plan without the Noah sub out late in the game. Wisconsin saw the sub, ran a play straight to Etherington as it was a HUGE size mismatch and got the bucket and foul. I'm happy for our mods sake that IU won... There would have been pitch forks and mobs of angry fans outside of Crean's house after that one!

Great work coach!

He did do a good job last night.  I'm far from a sunshine pumper wanting people to spit shine his stupid Sweet 16 ring, and I have real doubts on his ability to take us where we should expect to be but I'll give him credit for last night.

Bo schooled Crean on that Noah/Austin sub but it was about the only real noticeable mistake

He did do a good job last night.  I'm far from a sunshine pumper wanting people to spit shine his stupid Sweet 16 ring, and I have real doubts on his ability to take us where we should expect to be but I'll give him credit for last night.

Bo schooled Crean on that Noah/Austin sub but it was about the only real noticeable mistake

Thank you! just a few games ago everyone wanted coaches head, now hes turned into this absolutely amazing coach........but i will give credit where its due, he did a fantastic job last night absolutley.

Thank you! just a few games ago everyone wanted coaches head, now hes turned into this absolutely amazing coach........but i will give credit where its due, he did a fantastic job last night absolutley.

I still don't think he's an "amazing coach" and my doubts still very much exist.  I'm giving him credit for a good game, nothing more.  He even held players accountable, even if he should've done it by now.

I'm hoping it's a sign of him improving as a coach, and not so much a blind squirrel finding a nut.  Even Mike Davis beat Duke.

[quote name="GoHoosiers09" post="30165" timestamp="1389808428"]Thank you! just a few games ago everyone wanted coaches head, now hes turned into this absolutely amazing coach........but i will give credit where its due, he did a fantastic job last night absolutley.[/quote]

You don't turn into an amazing coach in one game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You don't turn into an amazing coach in one game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not at all, and to date Crean hasn't shown himself to be an amazing coach.  He did coach a good game against Wisconsin, and it helps that they don't play as slow as usual.

His track record at Marquette was decent, but not great.  Aside from one year they really made no tournament runs (2nd round at best), and followed the Final Four up by missing the tourney 2 years in a row.  So in his 9 years at Marquette he had one good run, and 8 years of missing the tournament completely (4 times) or not going past the 2nd round.

I was thrilled to see how coach went about this game. What made it even better was taking out the players not going with the game plan. To me, that's says a lot. He sat down one of the best PG's in the conference for a walk-on.....! Talk about ballsy! It made the move sweeter because of how Yogi played the rest of the way.

Like others said, the Austin for Noah substitution was awful! It did hurt IU, but luckily it wasn't enough to cost IU the game. However, big props to Coach and staff for their game plan. Hope this showed the players what can happen when they play hard and to their strengths!

It was nice to see adjustments,, attack the rim, run the offense and not just push the ball and turn it over. Limit minutes of non effective players. Going small and eliminating the size off Wisconsin bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Crean even made Dakich eat his own words about the zone right after he said it was a terrible moved IU got a couple key stops and Dakich piped down.

I don't know if they got stops so much as Wisconsin missed open 3 pointers. Our zone has always given away open threes.

Crean took a risk, guessing they would shoot (and miss) those open threes earlier in the shot clock. It paid off this time.

Crean even made Dakich eat his own words about the zone right after he said it was a terrible moved IU got a couple key stops and Dakich piped down.

They still got open looks but missed.  Our zone defense is cringe worthy.

Yeah I realize they were still getting open looks. Seems like every team we play gets good looks behind the arc at will. I'm still not sold on coach as this was one game where we played out of our minds. If I start to see this more consistently I will be a believer of crean.

I've hated on Crean a lot, but he coached a fantastic game last night, and obviously put us in a good position to make the tournament. Just wondering, assuming we beat Northwestern at home, and improve to 13-5 and 3-2 in the conference, any chance we get ranked?

[quote name="Hoosierfan2223" post="30266" timestamp="1389843179"]I've hated on Crean a lot, but he coached a fantastic game last night, and obviously put us in a good position to make the tournament. Just wondering, assuming we beat Northwestern at home, and improve to 13-5 and 3-2 in the conference, any chance we get ranked?[/quote]

First, we still aren't "in" according to the major bracket people like Lunardi. That win boosted a very, VERY mediocre resume. Definitely put us on a good path, though.

Second, I think the longer this team stays unranked, the better. Rankings really don't matter and I'd rather have the chip on our shoulder as we fight through the B1G.

Last, I have the same feelings on Crean. Not so much on here, but to people I know I have been showing a lot of anger about Crean, but he made magic last night.

I can say I've always been a huge supporter of Crean (probably to a fault). He may not be the best "in game" coach, and definitely makes some questionable deacons. But he gets the best out of his players. He's a great recruiter, and I love that he gets the fans involved. Is he the best coach, hell no but I'll take him to lead our team any day, the guy truly cares about our program.