Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Coffee Geek-ery

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Never enough coffee for me! I should start an off-topic coffee thread. Great game last night - as I said to others already in pms...let's move on.

Thanks

^^ Start the coffee thread.

My name is HoosierHoopster and I am a coffee addict (!)

And a full-on coffee nerd. Grind and percolate or french press - Stumptown (Hair Bender)Kicking Horse (Three Sister), Death Wish .. aaahhh

Oh man, I love this. I've converted almost exclusively to espresso drinks. Many years ago we took a trip to Italy and I never looked back. I wanted to get a nice espresso machine after that trip but my wife opted for a Nespresso b/c "a real espresso machine is something you'll use for 2 weeks and then it will just take up a bunch of space on the counter." She knows me well. The Nespresso served me well for about 6 years until recently she upgraded me to the Terra Kaffe TK-01. My go to drink is a Cortado. Shout out to Soma Cafe for making the best in B-town. The Terra Kaffe is as close to a barista quality Cortado I've ever had from somebody's home. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

^^ Start the coffee thread.

My name is HoosierHoopster and I am a coffee addict (!)

And a full-on coffee nerd. Grind and percolate or french press - Stumptown (Hair Bender)Kicking Horse (Three Sister), Death Wish .. aaahhh

I've been getting my beans from La Vela Roasters in Miami. They are really cost effective, $10 for a single blend 12 oz bag, or even better, $17 for a two pound blend bag. Free shipping for $20+. Roasted and shipped the same day or so it's ordered, and best yet, since I'm in Florida it's only in shipment a day or three.  https://lavelacoffee.com/

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Oh man, I love this. I've converted almost exclusively to espresso drinks. Many years ago we took a trip to Italy and I never looked back. I wanted to get a nice espresso machine after that trip but my wife opted for a Nespresso b/c "a real espresso machine is something you'll use for 2 weeks and then it will just take up a bunch of space on the counter." She knows me well. The Nespresso served me well for about 6 years until recently she upgraded me to the Terra Kaffe TK-01. My go to drink is a Cortado. Shout out to Soma Cafe for making the best in B-town. The Terra Kaffe is as close to a barista quality Cortado I've ever had from somebody's home. 

You're almost there, but in my opinion you're not there yet. I used super-automatics for about eight years, and then I tried a real espresso machine. Believe it or not, it's actually easier and WAY easier to clean up using a real machine and a stand-alone, high-quality grinder. The grinder changes EVERYTHING.

I picked up a four year old La Spaziale Mini-Vivaldi on craigslist for $500 about seven years ago and never looked back. Thanks to Youtube and quality manufacturing, it has barely needed a repair since. A quamar grinder, bought new has needed zero servicing in the seven years. 

Heaven in a cup.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I've been getting my beans from La Vela Roasters in Miami. They are really cost effective, $10 for a single blend 12 oz bag, or even better, $17 for a two pound blend bag. Free shipping for $20+. Roasted and shipped the same day or so it's ordered, and best yet, since I'm in Florida it's only in shipment a day or three.  https://lavelacoffee.com/

For some good ol' fashioned American style pour over, I've been ordering from Philz Coffee in San Francisco. Jacob's Wonderbar is probably my favorite bean of all time for a regular coffee. Chemex pour over is my brewing mechanism of choice. But again, those cups are much fewer and farther between these days as I've gone full on espresso. 

Awesome, more types and sources of beans and more ways to make them, now this is a thread I will read anytime it's updated!

I go back and forth between a French press and percolating -- old school percolator still makes great coffee, all about how long you brew it and the amount of ground coffee to your taste.

Going to have to check out lavelacoffee.com. I buy direct from Stumptown - https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPXJ3fGf9QIV1hvUAR3-iAugEAAYASAAEgIfI_D_BwE - haven't found a coffee with a better aroma, no oils, beans are just excellent.

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

For some good ol' fashioned American style pour over, I've been ordering from Philz Coffee in San Francisco. Jacob's Wonderbar is probably my favorite bean of all time for a regular coffee. Chemex pour over is my brewing mechanism of choice. But again, those cups are much fewer and farther between these days as I've gone full on espresso. 

Love the pour over - you must have a grinder since your espresso machine is a super-auto?

In need of a nice grinder, wife won't let me splurge just yet. But I love french press and pour over coffee. Not really into espresso drinks, just a straight cup of coffee. Lot's of good local coffee where I am at that keep me happy and stocked. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Love the pour over - you must have a grinder since your espresso machine is a super-auto?

I do, but to be honest I think I just picked it up on Amazon several years ago and haven't put much thought into quality there. I see I have much to learn!

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

Awesome, more types and sources of beans and more ways to make them, now this is a thread I will read anytime it's updated!

I go back and forth between a French press and percolating -- old school percolator still makes great coffee, all about how long you brew it and the amount of ground coffee to your taste.

Going to have to check out lavelacoffee.com. I buy direct from Stumptown - https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPXJ3fGf9QIV1hvUAR3-iAugEAAYASAAEgIfI_D_BwE - haven't found a coffee with a better aroma, no oils, beans are just excellent.

I've come to believe that coffee beans, once you hit a certain quality level, are incredibly dependent on how old they are from roast to cup. If the beans are less than about three weeks old when I'm grinding, I'm getting a great result no matter where they're from. That's why I can't buy them at a supermarket or big chain store, the bag is old the day I open it. 

Never buy them based on expiration date, no telling how old they are. Roast date is what matters. Once that's a winner, so many labels are excellent, and it's a pricing decision for me. That, and NEVER dark roast for a non-milk drink. It's like eating a well done steak...not for me.

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

In need of a nice grinder, wife won't let me splurge just yet. But I love french press and pour over coffee. Not really into espresso drinks, just a straight cup of coffee. Lot's of good local coffee where I am at that keep me happy and stocked. 

GET A GOOD GRINDER. You will make truly incredible french press and pour over ... immediately. 

You don't have to splurge for a new one - Offerup and Craigslist regularly sell high-quality used ones.

Think of coffee like grains of sand - if the size of the grains is irregular or clumpy, liquid will pass through it in channels. A good grinder produces and even, fluffy product that hasn't been heated (burned up) while it's being chopped up. The result is maximum coffee taste.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I've come to believe that coffee beans, once you hit a certain quality level, are incredibly dependent on how old they are from roast to cup. If the beans are less than about three weeks old when I'm grinding, I'm getting a great result no matter where they're from. That's why I can't buy them at a supermarket or big chain store, the bag is old the day I open it. 

Never buy them based on expiration date, no telling how old they are. Roast date is what matters. Once that's a winner, so many labels are excellent, and it's a pricing decision for me. That, and NEVER dark roast for a non-milk drink. It's like eating a well done steak...not for me.

Yeah roast to cup, and quality of the grinder matter big time. But the oils added change the taste (God help us all on Starbucks lol, horrible). Have you tried Stumptown, their beans are well-sourced and excellent all around. 

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah roast to cup, and quality of the grinder matter big time. But the oils added change the taste (God help us all on Starbucks lol, horrible). Have you tried Stumptown, their beans are well-sourced and excellent all around. 

Stumptown is fantastic. Kicking Horse too! So many good ones out there. I live a block away from a great roaster named Subculture. Expensive, but excellent.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

My coffee is a little light peering through the curtains in the bathroom as I sit in my library and scroll to see how far Josh was behind me in the most recent prediction league game. The best part of waking up, as they say.

So not to get off-topic in the coffee thread, but does that mean you're now ahead of Josh in prediction standings for the season? Cause congrats if you are! A solid accomplishment for Hova.