Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU vs Nebraska and O$U: 5/21 - 5/24/21

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think he's just hurt. But yeah we gotta go with someone else.  

His fingers skin is split. Idk why they kept saying his nail.  

He's def hurt, but he wasn't that great (with the Rutgers start being the exception) BEFORE the injury. Anyway you look at it, he has been the weakest of the starters for weeks now and you CANNOT throw your weakest starter on a Friday week in and week out. It needs to be Bierman Friday and Brown Saturday. Sommer can throw Sunday if he is healthy where he belongs. If he is not, throw Bothwell or Mudungo there. They have both been better than Sommer.

You have stable full of great arms and many who can go starting innings yet Sommer keeps going on Friday and putting us at a huge disadvantage. 

I hate to wish injury on anyone, but I really hope this knocks him out for the season and the change is made that has been overdue for weeks that Mercer is to stubborn to make (which is very weird since he has changed everything else as needed throughout the year).

Well I was right that Lonsway was absolutely terrific. The problem is the OSU bullpen melted down and blew a seven run lead in three innings and lost 11-9.

This all but clinches the Big Ten for Nebraska. Still a lot to play for though as we need wins to lock up an NCAA tournament spot. Second place is very much alive, but Huskers are probably the best team and their inevitable Big Ten Championship at this point is well earned. They have the best offense in the conference and the best bullpen arguably. The only problem has been their starting pitching outside Povich, which is going to hurt them in a Regional, but what they do have is clearly the class of the conference.

Good news is Huksers threw Schwellenbach yet again, so he won't be able to go tonight most likely. No Bunz after 40 pitches yesterday. Also no Koty Frank who threw 40 pitches yesterday. Unlikely to see Ethan Bradford or Emmit Olson who threw 20 in the first game today. Nebraska still has plenty of good arms down there who have not gone (Caleb Feekin, Trey Kissack, Tyler Martin, Cam Wynn and Max Schreiber), but their best which are the guys I have mentioned have and likely won't go. 

At this point we need a win just for confidence and the NCAA resume and everyone but Macciocchi should be good out of pen.

We had plenty of chances to stay with Nebraska all year and didn't capitalize. It starts with the OSU sweep to a mediocre team earlier in year and ends with the stubbornness to leave Sommer in the Friday role way past his expiration date.

Still much to play for with second place and NCAA spot on line but conference title is not happening.   

Been at the p4ool all day long... plenty liquored up. 

F IU for not letting let us go to these games. Absolutely should be ashamed of their decision. NCAA came out and said even the CWS will be 100% attendance. 

They've proven zero with their righteousness and have been am embarrassment since the beginning of the pandemic. 

All that being said... F NEB. Go beat their ***** tonight and give us a shot at this title. Let's go. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Been at the p4ool all day long... plenty liquored up. 

F IU for not letting let us go to these games. Absolutely should be ashamed of their decision. NCAA came out and said even the CWS will be 100% attendance. 

They've proven zero with their righteousness and have been am embarrassment since the beginning of the pandemic. 

All that being said... F NEB. Go beat their ***** tonight and give us a shot at this title. Let's go. 

IU in the same ridiculous boat as nine other Big Ten teams. IU and the other eight Big Ten teams could very much join the rest of the sports world in allowing fans and should, but have chosen not to. 

McCade Brown off to a rough start as well with a single and double to go down 1-0. Getting that back against Hroch should not be to hard butdon't want to fall to far behind. Runner at second one out.

Brown gets out of it with no further damage. The only minor annoyance is Brown threw about 25 pitches to do it, but did minimize the damage fortunately.

1-0 is not horrible and if you can't get at least one of a mediocre Hroch (who is a righty to boot), that is not on Brown.  

BTW Ashley is struggling so moved way down in order. Other than Sommer, Mercer has punished those who have struggled and rewarded those who have not with many changes. Thats what makes Sommer stubbornness so mind blowing.  

Frustrating inning. We were patient and all three hitters worked a full count forcing 20 pitches, but we still went 1-2-3. 

1-0 Huskers to second.

The HR has caused Brown to lose control with eight straight balls. This is McCade's issue. Does very well when things are going well, but as soon as he hits adversity he lets it go to his head. Needs to learn to work through adversity and he could be a major league pitcher. Otherwise he is a wasted talent like many before him who can't control emotions when struggles hit. 

Hroch looks a lot like Sommer. Two terrific starts early, good against Rutgers and in starts in between has given up either to many runs or not gone far or both.

Thats why he is thrown Saturday and not Friday. You don't throw a starter with that profile to lead a weekend like IU has done with Sommer. Clearly Nebraska gets it and Mercer does not.

Absolutely horrible inning. Forced Hroch to throw 10 pitches. Starting to look befuddled by a guy who has Sommer's profile but is a righty. 

This offense is a head case, hitting guys who are solid lately (but losing because Sommer is not getting it done), but looking befuddled by weaker guys.

Certainly our hitting coach Dan Held has some answering to do.

I don't like Mercer's handling of Sommer, but has otherwise managed exactly as needed. On other hand Held has a lot of explaining to do with what has happened with the hitters this year who should be a lot better at times and looked befuddled against mediocre pitching all year. 

33 minutes ago, Aaron said:

IU in the same ridiculous boat as nine other Big Ten teams. IU and the other eight Big Ten teams could very much join the rest of the sports world in allowing fans and should, but have chosen not to. 

So annoying 

Just now, btownqb said:

I really dont care about the other teams in the B1G. Lol 

NEB is smart enough to allow fans. Oh look.. they're going to win the B1G in baseball

... shocker.

It's not because they have fans. It is because they field the best offense and bullpen and Friday guy in conference. You can get around a weaker Saturday and Sunday guy when you have all that.

Huskers are going to win the conference because they have the best team, not because of fans being there. 

I absolutely agree other Big Ten schools need to follow the rest of the US with allowing some fans, but Nebraska doing it is not why they are going to raise a conference banner.

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

It's not because they have fans. It is because they field the best offense and bullpen and Friday guy in conference. You can get around a weaker Saturday and Sunday guy when you have all that.

Huskers are going to win the conference because they have the best team, not because of fans being there. 

I absolutely agree other Big Ten schools need to follow the rest of the US with allowing some fans, but Nebraska doing it is not why they are going to raise a conference banner.

Who will ever know? 

IU athletics will hear it from me for the foreseeable future. 

Brown works through a runner at third and one out with no damage. Unlike Sommer, Brown working through earlier issues so far. Just need offense to step up against a Sommer like righty and not look befuddled. If you can hit Povitch, no excuse not to hit Hroch.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who will ever know? 

IU athletics will hear it from me for the foreseeable future. 

We will never know, but I can objectively tell you by every measure, the Cornhuskers have the best team in the Big Ten.

Did fans help them? Maybe. But I really think they win the conference regardless given team they have.

Doesn't excuse IU and other Big Ten schools not letting fans in, but Nebraska earned the title on the field very much so.