Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU vs Nebraska and O$U: 5/21 - 5/24/21

Groundout. IU completely blows the inning in a major fail for offense for first time tonight. Still for third Friday in row, Sommer has not given us a good chance to win in huge game.

Macciochi delivers again. An absolute move of brilliance by Mercer to move him to bullpen midway through season and give us another elite long relief arm down there. 

7-4 at stretch. 

Jake Buntz into pitch for Nebraska. Bad in the sense he is really good. Great because he is often their fourth starter and best reliver out of pen so if they use him now, can't use him later.

End 7. 7-5. We will see if that run matters, but Nebraska fielder got greedy or we don't score that inning. Also forced Bunz to throw a ton of pitches so he probably can't go tomorrow now which is huge.

Macciocchi out there again. He will be done rest of weekend, but his performance renders everyone else available next couple days which will matter.

Bunz really good that inning but forced him to throw basically 40 pitches. Best thing we did tonight was put Bunz out of commission for rest of weekend. 

Stahl in for an inning. Thats fine. He should still be available tomorrow even with an inning here. Basically the best thing that happened tonight win or lose was to put Bunz out of commission for rest of weekend and Macciocchi keeping everyone else available and we are not ones with doubleheader.  

4 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Bunz really good that inning but forced him to throw basically 40 pitches. Best thing we did tonight was put Bunz out of commission for rest of weekend. 

Arkansas pitches their best guy out of the bullpen about 80p a weekend. He throws Fridays and Sundays. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Arkansas pitches their best guy out of the bullpen about 80p a weekend. He throws Fridays and Sundays. 

This guy will not.

Can't say I didn't tell you so. I absolutely think IU can and should win the last three this weekend. 

What happened with pitching and Sommer is exactly what was obvious. You can't keep throwing your worst starter Friday against another teams best one and expect good results. I really hope Sommer's finger nail issue puts him out of commission rest of season. Literally anyone is a better choice at this point and it may force Mercer to do what needed to be done a long time ago. Really your rotation right now should be Bierman, Brown and Bothwell/Mudungo. We have terrific arms and outside of Sommer for many weeks now and Litwicki last couple games, everyone has been great. 

Offense did better than I could of imagined against Povich and the fact that we forced them to use Bunz for 40 pitches rather than tomorrow is absolutely huge.

If we had thrown anyone else tonight we win. That's three Friday's in a row we lost, thanks to Sommer we might have otherwise won.   

Just as I suspected we are basically in three straight elimination games rest of weekend. Just happened slightly differently than I thought. We give up eight, I am expecting an 8-2 loss and Nebraska not forced to exhaust their best reliever. Fortunately they did.

Now we need two Husker losses tomorrow and they just went through their best starter and reliever. OSU has their elite no. 1 in Lonsway throwing and we have Brown. Very good chance Huskers lose twice tomorrow and we absolutely need them to. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Can't say I didn't tell you so. I absolutely think IU can and should win the last three this weekend. 

What happen with pitching and Sommer is exactly what was obvious. You can't keep throwing your worst starter Friday against another teams best one and expect good results. I really hope Sommer's finger nail issue puts him out of commission rest of season. Literally anyone is a better choice at this point and it may force Mercer to do what needed to be done a long time ago. Really your rotation right now should be Bierman, Brown and Bothwell/Mudungo. We have terrific arms and outside of Sommer and Litwicki last couple games everyone has been great. 

Offense did better than I could of imagined against Povich and the fact that we forced them to use Bunz for 40 pitches rather than tomorrow is absolutely huge.

If we had thrown anyone else tonight we win. That's three Friday's in a row we lost, thanks to Sommer we might have otherwise won.   

Just as I suspected we are basically in three straight elimination games rest of weekend. Just happened slightly differently than I thought. We give up eight, I am expecting an 8-2 loss and Nebraska not forced to exhaust their best reliever. Fortunately they did.

Now we need two Husker losses tomorrow and they just went through their best starter and reliever. OSU has their elite no. 1 in Lonsway throwing and we have Brown. Very good chance Huskers twice tomorrow and we absolutely need them to. 

3 of 4. Not 3 in a row on Fridays.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

3 of 4. Not 3 in a row on Fridays.  

Good point, but either way point stands. You can't keep pitching Sommer Friday and say you are giving yourself best chance to win a series.

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Good point, but either way point stands. You can't keep pitching Sommer Friday and say you are giving yourself best chance to win a series.

I think he's just hurt. But yeah we gotta go with someone else.  

His fingers skin is split. Idk why they kept saying his nail.