Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So I am need of Science Fiction Fans

So with my extra time between filling out job Applications during the Crisis I am getting back to finishing a book a started last November.  So I was wanting to run the concept by some Science Fiction fans. 

So the concept is that in 2036 a probe we are sending to Titan(This is real) arrives and it discovers life, methane based life to be exact.  This is completely reshapes all the space programs of the world overnight.  They form a loose coalition to send a manned mission to Titan. 

Our protagonist is a team member, eventually the commander, of one of the crews that is competing to be selected to man the first trip to Titan. 

The story will be part engineering fun ala The Martian, part horror with the trope of diminishing survivors, and part what I would call Endurance survival something akin to 127 Hours maybe.  Also some elements of Apollo 13 especially the first act

First Act

Takes place on the Moon, where final training and team selection occurs.  We spend some time on earth where we learn about Protagonists life and use a world press tour for exposition.  Act concludes with their trip to Titan then a disastrous landing attempt.  Leaving them 1000 Kilometers from their Escape Rocket. 

Second Act

The crew is piecing together a plan to cross the vast distance to their escape rocket.  Rover can't cross rivers which will stop them about halfway.  They will have to walk.  On their way to the rocket they have to problem solve quite a bit.  They eventually depart their crash site, on their way they take a bit of time to fulfill the promise of the premise and interact with some of the animals.  Then when they arrive at the methane river they have to wade across.  Eventually various disasters take their toll until Protagonist is by herself.  You get your mentor moment when an older crew member that has supported her strongly is the last go. Hes not dead but with a broken spine he makes her "Let him go" and convinces her "She did everything right"

Third Act

Shes alone, shes cold because her suit was low on energy so she conserving it.  Shes starting to get dehydrated, not eaten or drank anything in days.  No sleep,  She starts to hallucinate helping her along on her personal journey.  She eventually gets to the escape ship, theres a a problem with the rocket, that has a Gary Sinise type character B Plot,  She has to repair it, but eventually is able to get it half fixed.  Before she leaves she sees the sun coming up over the horizon.  Shes the first person to see a sunrise over titan.  Before she leaves she leaves a plaque that they were supposed to place.  Will carve a meaningful message into it.  She takes off, some stuff goes wrong but then she makes it off. 

Any Feedback?

Hard to evaluate from a one page summary....ie, The Lord of the Rings sounds like the worst series of books ever if you just give a one page synapsis.

i used to do quite a bit of writing myself, mostly short stories.  Had about 300 pages worth that I had accumulated 20 years ago.  Found a bunch of it while I wax cleaning out my office trying to pass some pandemic time.  Reread quite a few of them which I remembered and then came across one I wrote that I didn’t remember.  Found it to be the one if the most interesting I had written, then neared the end....and the last page was missing.  For the life of me, I don’t remember how I ended it.

For some reason I keep imagining as a movie in the style of Interstellar(which I loved) along with some other movies. I think it could work out personally. Sci-Fi can be so amusing because of how much you’re allowed to stretch reality and mix and match reality and sci-fi. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Hard to evaluate from a one page summary....ie, The Lord of the Rings sounds like the worst series of books ever if you just give a one page synapsis.

i used to do quite a bit of writing myself, mostly short stories.  Had about 300 pages worth that I had accumulated 20 years ago.  Found a bunch of it while I wax cleaning out my office trying to pass some pandemic time.  Reread quite a few of them which I remembered and then came across one I wrote that I didn’t remember.  Found it to be the one if the most interesting I had written, then neared the end....and the last page was missing.  For the life of me, I don’t remember how I ended it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

For some reason I keep imagining as a movie in the style of Interstellar(which I loved) along with some other movies. I think it could work out personally. Sci-Fi can be so amusing because of how much you’re allowed to stretch reality and mix and match reality and sci-fi. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Honestly interstellar could be influencing it a bit subconsciously, i saw the movie once.  But it could be in there. 

Honestly interstellar could be influencing it a bit subconsciously, i saw the movie once.  But it could be in there. 

It was a really good mind bender with suspense and intrigue. But you can mix that style with other styles and come up with something new and awesome and it seems you’ve done that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

my feedback: can you put me in there as some sort of intergalactic bad @$$ thug that lives on an ice planet and hunts bad ETs for a living? And of course I'm extremely handsome, super-intelligent and witty. Plus, I'm a member of a space-ball forum that follows an awesome team that hasn't been doing so well for about 200 years.

my feedback: can you put me in there as some sort of intergalactic bad @$$ thug that lives on an ice planet and hunts bad ETs for a living? And of course I'm extremely handsome, super-intelligent and witty. Plus, I'm a member of a space-ball forum that follows an awesome team that hasn't been doing so well for about 200 years.

Pretty much everything that he is not.. except the fan part.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app