Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBASE vs Penn State - April 5-7

13 hours ago, Aaron said:

IU falls 3-0.

Obviously our Friday night woes are continuing big time and have to be fixed. I fully expect us to easily win and put up tons of runs in next 2 games as we have every weekend. Scoring Friday night is tough but not this tough. Scoring 2-3 is normal against Friday aces but back to back shutouts with almost no hits is unacceptable. Tonight, we had 0 hits after 2nd inning and only 1 runner in scoring position all night.

PSU had some big wins early and this Friday night guy has been dominant. The difference is they usually lose like 3-2 or 4-3 not completely shut someone down. This is PSU's first Big Ten win but far from their first big win as they won a bunch in non conference.

IU has been feast or famine with this offense all year and Friday's have been famine. This needs to change if we want to be in contention for conference title and NCAA spot. 

Man two Friday's in a row now where we have wasted a good Pauly performance and came up empty at the dish. I get we are going against the ace but pretty unacceptable. You said it best with feast or famine. The lineup is too good to put up any 0's. 

Inning #5:  PSU ties it up; we fail to score.

Inning #6:  Gordon still on the mound and gets 3 up and 3 down and our Hoosiers follow suit. Tied at 3.

Inning #7:  Tommy Sommer comes on in relief of Tanner Gordon.  Gordon allowed 6 hits, struck out 4, walked 1.  He threw 82 pitches; 53 were strikes.   Bottom half of the inning Cross leads off with a single but Ashley grounds into a DP and Gorski flies out.  Still tied at 3.

Inning #8:  PSU gets a runner on but Sommer gets a ground out to end the inning.  Lloyd leads off our half with a ground out but back-to-back doubles by Dunham and Barr and IU takes a 4-3 lead.  Richardson then singles putting runners at the corners with only 1 out.  Bradley gets a ground rule double scoring Barr; runners on 2nd and 3rd still only 1 out.   But a Walker foul out and a Cross ground out end the inning but we lead 5-3.

Richardson makes this catch to get PSU out #2 in the top half of the 8th.

Inning #9:  Matt Lloyd in replacing Sommer.  Sommer pitched 2 scoreless innings, allowed 1 hit, struck out 2 and walked 1.  Lloyd walks the PSU leadoff batter; strikes out batter #2 and then gets a game ending double play.  Final score 5-3.  IU moves to (18-12) (6-2).  Today's second game scheduled to start in approximately 45 minutes

Andy Graham - Indiana baseball drew 2,926 fans to Bart Kaufman Field today, the 15th-largest crowd ever.

Game 2 in the bottom of the 4th and we're down 2-0.  Saalfrank on the mound and has given up 5 hits, struck out 8 and walked 1.  PSU scored a run in the first on a passed ball and a run in the third on a solo home run.  In the bottom of the 4th, we get our first base hit; load the bases with 2 outs but Richardson strikes out.

Inning #5:  Saalfrank sets PSU down in order and picks up 2 more K's in the process.  His pitch count is up to 78.  With 1 out, Cross singles followed by a walk to Ashley and PSU makes a pitching change.  Gorski greets the new pitcher with a double scoring Cross and it's 2-1.  Lloyd follows with a line drive single to center driving in 2 runs and we take the lead 3-2.  Lloyd goes to second on a wild pitch and then to third on a Dunham ground out but Cole Barr flies out to end the inning.

Just got home in 5th so thank you to all who have been providing updates. I saw about Knight which is kind of shocking and unexpected.

I have watched bits and pieces on my phone and followed on Twitter. I saw the Lloyd homer and the winning hits in the 8th. What is going on really is not hard. Earlier in the season while we hit a lot of home runs and were swinging for fences our situational hitting was excellent and we knew when to just poke one for a clean hit and maximized opportunities.

This weekend besides the 8th inning last game and the 5th inning this game where we broke through we have gone back to Lemonis ball of swinging for fences every time even when we get baserunners and as result our offense has struggled more and we have had a ton of deep fly outs. In the innings we just went for the clean hits we got the runs we needed. Also was huge is each time we chased the starter last game and today in 5th we capitalized against their awful bullpen.

Since I started watching part way through I'll continue to let others provide the updates and right my full thoughts after game.

Inning #6:  Saalfrank sets the side down in order picking up another K and now with 11 on the day.  Only had to throw 8 pitches in the sixth.   We go down in order and it remains 3-2 after 6 innings.

Inning #7:  Saalfrank remains on the mound and is greeted by a lead off double and the PSU runner advances to third on a ground out.  Saalfrank's 12th K of the day couldn't have come at a better time and allowed our infield to return to normal depth.  Saalfrank walks the next batter so PSU has runners on the corners and 2 out.  A passed ball puts runners on 2nd and 3rd but Saalfrank gets his 13th strikeout and gets out of the inning.  Pitch count now up to 105.

Inning #7 - IU Half:  Cross fouls out then Ashley gets on base via HBP but is forced at second on a Gorski fielders choice and PSU makes another pitching change with Lloyd due up.  Lloyd strikes out but we maintain a 3-2 lead.

Inning #8:  Grant Sloan takes the mound in relief of Saalfrank and sets the side down on 7 pitches.  Saalfrank gave up 6 hits; 2 ER; had 13 K's; 2 BB; 3 WP.   In the bottom of the inning we go down in order.  Still 3-2 IU.

Inning #9:  Lloyd comes in to close the game out but the PSU leadoff batter gets on when the first base ump says Bunnell pulled his foot on a throw from Barr.  A passed ball and PSU has a runner on second and nobody out.  Lloyd gets a called third strike and there's one out.  He gets a called third strike on the next batter for out #2 and then gets the third out on another called third strike and IU wins 3-2.    

Matt Lloyd:

1. Hits 3 run HR in first game that was difference

2. Matt Lloyd gets save in 1st game

3. Matt Lloyd gets game winning 2 run single in 2nd game

4. Matt Lloyd gets save in 2nd game

5. Matt Lloyd makes a couple nice defensive plays.

6. Matt Lloyd serves entire team a gourmet meal afterward

Obviously kidding on number 6 but the first 5 are entirely accurate and Lloyd literally is difference between being 0-3 on weekend and in a tough spot and being 7-2 and winning series putting us right in thick of conference race. I have seen many 2 way players in all my time watching college baseball but Lloyd is literally the first I know who excels as both. Never seen a guy with a .300+ avg., double digit HR's and a 90+ MPH fastball that makes him a lock down closer.  

I have one more thing to say: I love Matt Lloyd and he will lead us in Going Back to Indiana today. JK