Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

XC at Indiana Intercollegiate 9/15

**iuhoosiers.com

The Indiana Hoosier cross country team hits the road for the first time in the 2017 campaign.  IU heads north to West Lafayette for the Indiana Intercollegiate Championships hosted by in-state rival Purdue on Friday afternoon.

Friday's competition will mark the 78th consecutive year of racing at the Indiana Intercollegiate meet.  The women's team has taken home first in each of the previous eight seasons, including a dominating win last season.  The men's team also claimed victory, aiding in the Hoosier sweep.

Coach Helmer will trot out a lineup of Anevay Hiehle, Mallory Mulzer, Joely Pinkston, Amy Smith, Grace Walther and Kendell Wiles for the women's race.  Walther was the top finisher amongst the group at the Indiana Open a few weeks back. She crossed 25th.

The men's team will consist of Teddy Browning, Cameron Clements, Marcus Ellington, William Mulloy and Adam Wallace.  Clements, ran in his first official meet in the cream in crimson at the IU Open, took 19th, the top finisher for the group.

The women's championship race will begin at approximately 4:15 p.m. and will cover a distance of 6k.  The men's championship race will take-off following the women's race, at 5:00 p.m., and will be an 8k.

Indiana will be in action next at the Coast to Coast Battle in Beantown hosted by Boston College on September 22nd.  The meet will provide Indiana with another excellent group of teams to showcase their abilities as they look to continue to score points towards reaching the NCAA Championship meet.

I have run this race!

As a young Stromboli, I was a late bloomer, and didn't really have parents too interested in athletics besides watching IU basketball.  I ended up as a runner, both Cross Country and Track.  I did my undergrad at DePauw, and ran on both teams.  

The athletes/coaches actually called it "Big State Little State," as that is how they divide the race.  There is a Div I champ (Big State), and then everyone else (Little State). This was a fun race, and I think was run on the IU Golf Course back in my day (which pretty much overlapped with the Jurassic period).  Since my conference was mostly southern schools (Georgia, Texas, Tennessee), this was a fun time to race against the same guys from high school again.  

Anyway, cool to see this on this site, thanks for posting.

Tweeted results.  I'm not close enough to the program to know why both squads were shorthanded.

Grace Walther top finisher for #iuxc women's team at sixth overall.  Teddy Browning top finisher for men's team at 15th.

#iuxc women finish third with shorthanded roster at Indiana Intercollegiate.  Men's team doesn't field a full team.

DJym-N0UQAAbiDi.jpg

A long term lurker, but as a close follower of the XC team I can take the lead on this. Both the men and women's teams rested their "A" squad in preparation for two consecutive competitive racing weekends in a row, at Boston and at home. The competition at Intercollegiate's doesn't give either team an opportunity to get points to secure an at large bid to nationals, where as Boston and the Sam Bell Invitation will.

Posts like yours are a huge part of why I feel it's so cool to post on the "not covered as much" sports! If I knew then (when I was at IU) what I know now about all the awesome programs we have, I would have been a lot more involved! Thanks for your post!

10 hours ago, VAXC said:

A long term lurker, but as a close follower of the XC team I can take the lead on this. Both the men and women's teams rested their "A" squad in preparation for two consecutive competitive racing weekends in a row, at Boston and at home. The competition at Intercollegiate's doesn't give either team an opportunity to get points to secure an at large bid to nationals, where as Boston and the Sam Bell Invitation will.

With that kind of info stop being a lurker!    Thanks for posting.  Much appreciated.