Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2017) C Luka Garza to Iowa

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not impressive. Not looking like a true 5 star to me. Potential due to size. Something is missing. Going to rebound.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I edited the first post to include his profiles. He isn't a 5 star, so by that measure he certainly would be unimpressive. I said earlier I don't think he fits what IU is trying to do, but they're all over him so what do I know. He may be the 3rd option behind Bamba and Richards but with how highly recruited those two are, it's important to get in a good spot with Garza. He starts for Team Takeover, so he is no slouch. Good foul shooter, can step out and knock down threes, and rebounds. I guess the drawback is he is just not very athletic. Dudes not gonna get out and run

I edited the first post to include his profiles. He isn't a 5 star, so by that measure he certainly would be unimpressive. I said earlier I don't think he fits what IU is trying to do, but they're all over him so what do I know. He may be the 3rd option behind Bamba and Richards but with how highly recruited those two are, it's important to get in a good spot with Garza. He starts for Team Takeover, so he is no slouch. Good foul shooter, can step out and knock down threes, and rebounds. I guess the drawback is he is just not very athletic. Dudes not gonna get out and run

I still don't believe we alway need a 5 that will get out and run. Cody was excellent at that but we can have 4 other players that can run with a great rebounding and outlet passer at the 5. I look at the big that close UNC as evidence. UNC runs better than we do and have a 5 that rebounds and outlet passes but rarely finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

30 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I still don't believe we alway need a 5 that will get out and run. Cody was excellent at that but we can have 4 other players that can run with a great rebounding and outlet passer at the 5. I look at the big that close UNC as evidence. UNC runs better than we do and have a 5 that rebounds and outlet passes but rarely finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's an interesting conversation and your point is definitely valid. It's a different way of doing things but Crean's transition approach has some unique characteristics. Having a big who understands how to get the break going via the outlet is different from having a big who can anticipate and run though. Cody could do both. 5's aren't going to get every board. The boards they get, that first aspect (outlet) is the skill needed. But when a 5 can anticipate and run, he can see a ball his teammate is rebounding and head the other way and become part of the transition. In most systems, the wings leak the other way, 4/5 board, PG comes to the ball, transition begins. But Crean has his wings/guards sprint at the boards which leaves about 4 options to get the rebound, then everyone leaks including the 5. 

This link breaks it down way better than I am lol

LINK

FWIW a day 2 & 3 summary of Garza at Vic's Skills Academy.  If Garza really runs the floor that well then he's definitely a CTC type of center.  Don't know anything at all about the authors of these summaries and obviously their job is to hype these kids, but I do like the references to "most well rounded big".

"At 6'11 Luka can run the court almost as quickly as any guard can. His ability to run the floor and grab rebounds translated to 16 points and 8 rebounds on 7-11 shooting. He scored in every way possible, three pointers, dunks, mid-range, you name it. He was probably the most well rounded big we witnessed at the camp." 

FWIW a day 2 & 3 summary of Garza at Vic's Skills Academy.  If Garza really runs the floor that well then he's definitely a CTC type of center.  Don't know anything at all about the authors of these summaries and obviously their job is to hype these kids, but I do like the references to "most well rounded big".

"At 6'11 Luka can run the court almost as quickly as any guard can. His ability to run the floor and grab rebounds translated to 16 points and 8 rebounds on 7-11 shooting. He scored in every way possible, three pointers, dunks, mid-range, you name it. He was probably the most well rounded big we witnessed at the camp." 

Okie dokie then