Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

40 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I obviously am in the minority here….but I can’t stand Boston.  Think they are really vanilla.  I was in college when Third Stage was released and still can hear songs like ****in’ Amanda getting played from dorm rooms while I walk down the hall.

Stones, Beatles, Rush, The Who….i’m there with you.  But Boston?  Ugh.  

Flame away, but it’s not going to change my mind on them.

Younger generation, but huge classic rock fan here and totally agree. Boston stinks. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Keep coming back to trying to put together a top 15 all time rock tunes (can’t just do 10 not enough) the ones I keep coming back to and never get old for me, the ones that I can’t help singing along with in the car, force themselves from background sound to getting my attention, doesn’t really matter what time of day it is. when thinking about the songs I try not to overvalue the band (like how could I not have have at least 1 Stones tune in it - I do though I keep switching out which one), or undervalue the song bc the band wasn’t one of the heavyweights.

Starting out just have 2 right now —

Come Together (Beatles)

Roxanne (Police, but damn what a tune, and when Sting first started it, it was a ballad)

make it 3,

Hotel California (Eagles)

ok four, for Stones going with

Sympathy for the Devil

If you can narrow it to 10 that would be a neat trick. I decided a long time that when my time comes the last song I hear ain’t gonna be some Muzak version of Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘Round the Old Oak Tree in some hospital. So I’ve been compiling a list of songs I flat love that the family snarkily refers to as Dad’s Deathbed Playlist. I’m super rigorous on what’s on there and it’s at 80 songs just now. If I had to cut it to 10 I’d absolutely blow a gasket. 

18 minutes ago, Demo said:

If you can narrow it to 10 that would be a neat trick. I decided a long time that when my time comes the last song I hear ain’t gonna be some Muzak version of Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘Round the Old Oak Tree in some hospital. So I’ve been compiling a list of songs I flat love that the family snarkily refers to as Dad’s Deathbed Playlist. I’m super rigorous on what’s on there and it’s at 80 songs just now. If I had to cut it to 10 I’d absolutely blow a gasket. 

Is Dirty Boulevard by Lou Reed on your list? Probably should add that and Marquee Moon by Television if you haven’t yet. And Ballad of a Thin Man. That too.

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Is Dirty Boulevard by Lou Reed on your list? Probably should add that and Marquee Moon by Television if you haven’t yet. And Ballad of a Thin Man. That too.

I imagine I’ll be depressed enough. 

46 minutes ago, Demo said:

I imagine I’ll be depressed enough. 

Take two Weezer or TRex songs and call me in the morning.

Besides; you said this was for your deathbed! Walking On Sunshine would be quite inappropriate.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

I gave up on 10. Optimistically thought maybe could do 15…. Yeah, can’t but gonna keep with it anyway….

The thing with Aerosmith - love me some early Aerosmith, before Joe Perry (lead guitar) left the band - is their early jams were great but now I have to kind of just ignore the lyrics— but gonna add Sweet Emotion to my list, such a great tune

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The thing with Aerosmith - love me some early Aerosmith, before Joe Perry (lead guitar) left the band - is their early jams were great but now I have to kind of just ignore the lyrics— but gonna add Sweet Emotion to my list, such a great tune

Not Dream On? Cause that’s one epic, great song.

In other music news, The Bevis Frond has a new one out. One of the truly iconic guitarists ever is still bashing away at age 71. Prolific (easily over 30 full length LPs), tuneful, and still shredding a guitar at age 71. Nick Saloman is a piece of work.

Highly recommended:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0sHIE8pvNs6mefp0dZVWQx?si=MyiCrtbvRmCuePASGOjajw

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In other music news, The Bevis Frond has a new one out. One of the truly iconic guitarists ever is still bashing away at age 71. Prolific (easily over 30 full length LPs), tuneful, and still shredding a guitar at age 71. Nick Saloman is a piece of work.

Highly recommended:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0sHIE8pvNs6mefp0dZVWQx?si=MyiCrtbvRmCuePASGOjajw

One cool dude at 71 - respect.

Listening to music in the early 60's on a cheap transistor (?) radio I bought from money earned on a paper route...late at night...opened my ears and eyes to a wide, wonderful world beyond the horizon of my neighborhood.

2 AM, top 40 rock...1960...The Drifters...This Magic Moment, Elvis...Are You Lonely,  Ray Charles...Georgia On My Mind, Chubby Checkers...Twist.  Just to give an idea of what was going on.  New music kept popping up.  Buddy Holly...Roy Orbison...The Shirelles...  Those were ok...but I really liked 1963.

2 AM, top hits...1963...Louie, Louie/The Kingsmen...Surf City/Jan and Dean...Wipeout/The Surfaris...

The absolutely best year was 1964!  She Loves You, I Get Around, I Want To Hold Your Hand, The House of the Rising Sun, Dancing in the Street, Going Out of my Head, You Really Got Me, All Day and All of the Night, She's Not There, The Times They Are A'Changing...and many more too numerous to list.

My personal favorites: Pinball Wizard; Listen to the Music; I'm A Man; Ramble On; I Talk to the Wind; Somebody to Love; Question; Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye; We Gotta Get Outa This Place; The Fish Cheer; For What It's Worth; Blowin' in the Wind; Never My Love; Last Train to Clarksville; How Can You Mend A Broken Heart; Jumpin' Jack Flash; Key to the Highway; Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport/snark; Tiptoe Through the Tulips/s; Hound Dog; Ring of Fire; Wake Up Little Suzie; Shout, Suzie Q, Money, Brain Damage; San Francisco; Purple Haze; Panama Red; Spill the Wine; ...and others...how can it be 10 songs...I have no idea.  

Favorite Bands:  The Beatles; Cream; Traffic; Chicago; CSNY; War; Stones; Jimi Hendrix; Jefferson Airplane; The Who; The Hollies; The Byrds; ...   Today my tastes lean to Jazz (World and safe sultry sax) and blues and live music...outside....in a park-like setting.

Personal favorite Jazz album  - Invitation to Openess - Les McCann.

So many of these are personal favorites because of what was going on in my life at the time.  One thing, I will never ever consciously listen to John Denver. Sorry, not sorry.  Was in the Navy.  We were on a submarine in the North Atlantic deployed for half of a year.  Senior Chief changed the sound system from 8-track to cassette overnight.  None of us knew. At sea we realized he only brought John Denver tapes.  We had a mutiny...you have to be kidding me (expletives deleted). I had my personal stereo boom box with over 75 8-tracks in the boat's library.  Set them up in the crew's mess for the crew.  For 6 months, I was The Man.  Fame is fleeting, though.

Fame?  Fame (fame) makes a man take things over....  

Hey, I have chores to do...  Summertime Blues.

Way down inside...woman, you need....love!   Whole Lotta Love

All we are saying is: Give Peace a Chance. 

Me and Bobby McGee...

Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town.

Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...yeah, yeah oh yeah...

Midnight Confessions, Temptation Eyes, Deacon Blues, China Grove, I Am Iron Man, Heard it through the Grapevine, Time Has Come Today, What's Going On, Blue Bayou, Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore, Fire on the Mountain, Jackie Blue, Chicken Train, Freebird, One Way Out, Proud Mary, Fresh Air, After the Gold Rush, Magic Carpet Ride, Born to be Wild, Evil Ways...

How can one pick a single song from Hendrix, Creedance, Grand Funk, Allman Brothers, Clapton, Beatles, how?  Are You Experienced? no image description available

Let it bleed  Stones 

Abraxas  Santana

Electric Ladyland  Jimi

Live at the Fillmore East   Allman Brothers

Dark Side of the moon.  Pink Floyd

Court of the Crimson King   King Crimson 

The Byrds.   Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Hotel California  Eagles

Sergeant Peppers   Beatles

Rockin the Fillmore  Humble Pie

Full House   The J Giles band

Outskirts   Blue Rodeo

Too many to list, but these have got to be some of my favs.

SO IT FEELS LIKE WE’VE MIGRATED TO “DESERT ISLAND DISCS” TERRITORY.

Here’s how that works: If you were stranded on a desert island for a very, very long time and could only bring ten albums, which would they be? @GloryDays is in.

Here are mine, in no particular order: 

• Lou Reed— New York

• Big Star— Radio City

• The Heartbreakers— L.a.M.F. Found ‘77 Masters

• Tchaikovsky- 5th Symphony 

• The Modern Lovers— The Modern Lovers

• Uncle Tupelo— Anondyne

• Gene Clark w/Doug Dillard— The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and Clark

• XTC— Skylarking

• Waxahatchee— Saint Cloud

• Pavement— Slanted and Enchanted 

46 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Here’s how that works: If you were stranded on a desert island for a very, very long time and could only bring ten albums, which would they be? @GloryDays is in.

• Lou Reed— New York

• Big Star— Radio City

• Uncle Tupelo— Anondyne

• XTC— Skylarking

Choices...hmmm...Some people pick 10 music albums.  I prefer taking someone to make beautiful music together. r/GenX - Ginger or Mary Ann??

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

• Lou Reed— New York

• Big Star— Radio City

• Uncle Tupelo— Anondyne

• XTC— Skylarking

Anondyne and Slanted and Enchanted could be on my list on any given day given my emotional state.Love both of those albums.