Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coachmayhew

Banner Up

I think it should be listed with the other Big Ten Championship teams.  I understand that this team came back from nothing and blah blah blah.  My point is that Indiana Basketball is bigger than that.  I think it is kind of selfish to put so much extra on that Big Ten Championship compared to all the other ones.  I know many of the older gen will agree with me on that.

At the end of the day though, I don't really care one way or the other.  I'm just happy we got to add 2013 to a banner...

Those guys were special. They gave us our best two-year span since before I was born, so I don't have a huge problem with it.

Then again, I'm young. Indiana basketball has not been traditional Indiana basketball during my life. I haven't had the privilege of seeing (or remembering) Final Four runs and Championships. I've barely been blessed to see tournament appearances. 

My dad wasn't a huge fan of it, but he saw a different Indiana growing up than I did. Whether you like it or dislike it comes down to age in my opinion.

Those guys were special. They gave us our best two-year span since before I was born, so I don't have a huge problem with it.

Then again, I'm young. Indiana basketball has not been traditional Indiana basketball during my life. I haven't had the privilege of seeing (or remembering) Final Four runs and Championships. I've barely been blessed to see tournament appearances. 

My dad wasn't a huge fan of it, but he saw a different Indiana growing up than I did. Whether you like it or dislike it comes down to age in my opinion.

I don't like it, and I'm 27 I wasn't even a year old when we won in 87.  Those kids will go down in Hoosier history for what all they'd endured, but they didn't need a special banner.  Putting the year on the same banner with the others would've been plenty.

I don't like the stupid Sweet 16 rings either.

Seeing what the players went through and what they accomplished, I can see the banner staying.. but wouldn't be upset if they added it to the existing banner in the future. It was a good way to show the appreciation to the players that came to IU during trying times and built what we have now.  

The most prominent example was, of course, the banner. The number 2013 was stitched into the banner on the North side of the arena on which all of the Big Ten championships are noted, but last year’s title also got its own banner unlike most of the rest of those. It was raised above the basket on the north side of the court, stationed nearly as high on the flags on the south side.

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2013/10/iu-raises-big-ten-title-banner-at-hoosier-hysteria/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hope this quote doesn't upset the apple cart... 

The banner is a great idea. 

I don't care if "we've been there before", it is still an incredible accomplishment, no matter the program.

I'm going to post a link to the IDS' article from Conner Killoren, who writes a wonderful article about fan bases getting greedy and having a sense of entitlement that should NEVER be welcome anywhere.

Read the article here: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=94506

The banner is a great idea. 

I don't care if "we've been there before", it is still an incredible accomplishment, no matter the program.

I'm going to post a link to the IDS' article from Conner Killoren, who writes a wonderful article about fan bases getting greedy and having a sense of entitlement that should NEVER be welcome anywhere.

Read the article here: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=94506

It has nothing to do with ego or "having been there before".  The Olympics don't give out special medals to their athletes that had to overcome adversity, the team doesn't need a special banner.  Just seeing 2013 on the banner with the other conference championships would be a reminder of what depths they dug out from, and because of that seeing that year with the others would have more meaning.

And it absolutely shouldn't be on the same end of AH as our 5 national titles.

It has nothing to do with ego or "having been there before".  The Olympics don't give out special medals to their athletes that had to overcome adversity, the team doesn't need a special banner.  Just seeing 2013 on the banner with the other conference championships would be a reminder of what depths they dug out from, and because of that seeing that year with the others would have more meaning.

And it absolutely shouldn't be on the same end of AH as our 5 national titles.

Agreed.  The fanbase is knowledgeable enough to understand the depths of what that squad went through.  A special banner isn't necessary to highlight it.  If anything that in and of itself exudes greed and entitlement.

Agreed.  The fanbase is knowledgeable enough to understand the depths of what that squad went through.  A special banner isn't necessary to highlight it.  If anything that in and of itself exudes greed and entitlement.

Maybe it's not all about the fans. How about those guys and the staff who were a part of it? I think they deserve it. I really don't care if a few fans get upset over it. It's about the players, not the traditionalists sitting on the couch watching it from their lazy boy.