Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Rutgers - 03/02/22 @ 7:00 on BTN

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Do you disagree that IU basketball has been feeding its fanbase a **** sandwich for the better part of the past two decades? Unless we win today and sneak into the tournament, we’ll have had more than twice has many losing conference seasons (9) as we’ve had tournament appearances (4) since we hired Crean. We’ve finished higher than 6th place in the conference 3 times during that period, and we’ve finished higher than 5th place twice. Top 4 in the big ten twice in the past 14 seasons.

Maybe we’re stupid for coming back for more at this point. Maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment. Idk. 

It’s because we are fans and we cheer and support our team through thick and thin.  Yes, it’s been extremely thin the last 14 plus years and it’s tried our patience and these last two years we have been firmly in the tournament to lay the biggest crap in In IU basketball history in the month of February has tested us all as fans.  I am a firm believer that what comes around goes around, history repeats itself and IU will be on top again. I don’t know how and I don’t know when, but I do believe we will get there.  I just hope it’s sooner rather than later!

15 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Not according to that article, he wants him to post up which is best for the team.  To me, they are saying contradicting things

Sometimes I wonder why as fans we let an out outcome of a sporting event effect us so much.  We have no responsibility on what happens on the court and can't do anything about the outcome.  It seems we take things so personally when our teams lose and that our self value is based on how how our teams does. I have witnessed my teams winning championships plenty of times and in the end of the day it didn't change my life for the good or bad.

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

In my opinion I think fans overrate the importance that they play in the overall picture of a program.    That’s negative or positive.   I don’t think for a sec a recruit has ever said the fans are bad and treat the players like crap so I’m not going to go to that school.  Or a coach not wanting to come because of the fan base.   Brooks said some things about Rupp that fired up the fan base a couple years ago and they were all saying he needs to leave and he won’t be back.   He is dead to me.  Brooks helps Kentucky win games so brooks is still in the program.    Doesn’t matter how many angry fans from a message board decided to leave, IU would still continue to be a program.   This all comes down to winning.  If people left and said they were done all it would take is winning to bring them back.    Houston was a ghost town before Sampson arrived and winning has brought that town back to make it a great college environment.    If you win it, they will come.   Just my opinion  

There was a group of fans that claimed they sent letters to IU recruits.  Said group was not IU fans as much as they were RMK fans. Not sure if they deterred any recruits as that was 20 years ago.  That was sad times for IU basketball for countless reasons.  

5 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Each fan still has had a choice these last 20 years.  Continue to watch as the program declines and hope that it gets better or they could cut bait and do something else with their time.   Program still went on without those that cut bait and will continue to do so in the future if more decide to bail.     When knight first left I’m sure you knew some fans that dropped IU and became Texas Tech fans.   Program went on without those fans 

Did it? It hasn’t done anything. If you mean that we will continue to field a team, sure.

yes the school would likely still give out uniforms and scholarships even if we had 0 fans show up for games but that is irrelevant. The most dominate thing about IU basketball the past 20 years has been the fans.

we continue to make money for the school by buying tickets, watching television, buying gear etc. They haven’t done their equal part. I don’t think they truly realize how fortunate they are and that it won’t last forever.

there is no going back for many of us, but those that are vested like many of us are no longer being born like they used to be. Whether the folks on here walk away or not is irrelevant, it’s about future fanatics and they aren’t growing up passionate about IU like generations past.

we are the program and when we are gone, we will be nothing more than a Penn State or Nebraska unless the administration and staff can move mountains and do so quickly

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sometimes I wonder why as fans we let an out outcome of a sporting event effect us so much.  We have no responsibility on what happens on the court and can't do anything about the outcome.  It seems we take things so personally when our teams lose and that our self value is based on how how our teams does. I have witnessed my teams winning championships plenty of times and in the end of the day it didn't change my life for the good or bad.

Yes, I am sort of at that point too!  We are dedicated fans; however, sometimes we end up taking it to far.