Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Looking to 2018-2019 season

As this current season is kind of a wash for me, from a perspective of expectations, I think a looking forward thread is in order to project (or not) light in the tunnel.

Current Roster:

Guards

1. Devonte Green

2. Rob Phinisee

3. Al Durham

Wings

4. Damezi Anderson

5. Jerome Hunter

6. Justin Smith

Bigs

7. Clifton Moore

8. Race Thompson

9. Juwan Morgan

10. Jake Forrester

11. DeRon Davis

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We have 2 remaining roster spots to fill and maybe more. Things will change.

Here is my best guess at starting 5 for now

RP
DG/AL
Hunter
Juwan
DeRon

As our current roster projection stands we will be predicted to finish in the B1G similar to what we were projected to this year imo. 7-11 range.

This type of thought is why I think the 3 year rebuild talk works. Now we add Romeo and that's a game changer in expectations. Or we find one other impact starter either already on our roster or someplace else. If DeRon ever realizes his full potential. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As this current season is kind of a wash for me, from a perspective of expectations, I think a looking forward thread is in order to project (or not) light in the tunnel.

Current Roster:

Guards

1. Devonte Green

2. Rob Phinisee

3. Al Durham

Wings

4. Damezi Anderson

5. Jerome Hunter

6. Justin Smith

Bigs

7. Clifton Moore

8. Race Thompson

9. Juwan Morgan

10. Jake Forrester

11. DeRon Davis

Justin Smith has shown absolutely no ability to play on the wing whatsoever.

I think it’s fine to project next season while still being focused on this one. It’s a fun topic to think about.

If we don’t get Romeo, I would expect the staff to go hard after a grad transfer guard. We’ll need someone to show the freshmen the ropes.

I think we’re solid at the wing position, although young. Anderson and Hunter will be good and hopefully another can step up here.

I’m not concerned with our front court. Hopefully everyone stays because we’ll be strongest there.

We still have all of conference play to see how our returning players do or don't get acclimated to Big Ten play. I don't know how you project next season without knowing that.

Based on what we know so far. Shift expectations as needed as the season goes. It's a place to gather all the thoughts because nearly every other thread extends to projecting to next season.

I don't understand how it's still December and we're calling the season a wash. B1G has barely started!

For me, pretty much. Maybe "a wash" is bad terminology, but my expectations for this current group is really low. I'll enjoy the rest of the season seeing the building blocks. Seeing who excels, who regresses and all that. I, personally can find my own enjoyment in #theprocess but in all reality we are building and projecting to future seasons. This team is, at best, a high average team.

Either way, this was a place to put my thoughts and hopefully many others together as we advance towards next year.

I look for Hunter and Thompson to play significant minutes next year.
They are going to have to. I'd be shocked if Moore came back and Justin Smith who knows. He looked ok early but has regressed.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Both are just freshmen and there adjustment curve may take longer.   This year in particular, we really needed a freshman to step in and become a consistent performer.  Durham's had his moments both good and bad but none of the 3 have sparkled.  Having said that, I  have more faith that Smith will develop more so than Moore.   

Yeah I've been disappointed in Smith and Moore. Lots of hype.. it may be too early to judge, but so far on a very average team, neither has impressed me. Lots of basketball left so hopefully they will settle in.
Wasn't Moore listed in a future mock nba draft?? Given his length he should be seeing minutes if he was was any good imo. Sounds like the typical crean secret diamond in the rough.

26 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Wasn't Moore listed in a future mock nba draft?? Given his length he should be seeing minutes if he was was any good imo. Sounds like the typical crean secret diamond in the rough.

He's a freshman.. He turned 18 in August. It's a little early to write him off. 

He's a freshman.. He turned 18 in August. It's a little early to write him off. 
And he refused to redshirt. Dumb move as he now wastes a year of eligibility on the bench. I guess we will see what happens but if he is losing playing time to Freddie mcswain that tells me he has a long long ways to go. Mcswain is average at best and short.

And he refused to redshirt. Dumb move as he now wastes a year of eligibility on the bench. I guess we will see what happens but if he is losing playing time to Freddie mcswain that tells me he has a long long ways to go. Mcswain is average at best and short.

He is also 23, and has a developed body. I hope Freddie is better than a developmental 18 year old prospect that isn’t close to filling out. Redshirting two prospects before a large class would be a horrible idea.

Because we have redshirted once doesn’t mean we are going to do it often. It just isn’t common anymore. There were a special set of circumstances that led to this. Race should be a high school senior and wanted to come. We had an open scholly for 2017-18 season that allowed us to do it. Not normal.