Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hwy 1

RMK and word choice again

Well, Knight is the same guy that said "if you're going to get raped, you might as well lay back and enjoy it" when referring to a bad loss. So, his track record with the word isn't great

Yes he did say that..... About 25-26 years ago...... In a completely different context. Then as today, he was

being asked his opinion, he gave it, and all hell broke loose? Who's to blame more, Knight for giving his opinion

or the journalist who asked for it?

Then as today, I feel the hue and cry over its use is/was more theatrical than sincere.

I do think a solution to the problem lies with the NBA allowing kids at any age to go straight to the pro league or some form of farm club, (you know, similar to what Kentucky runs). Let them live their dream of playing with the big boys. Then, when they've failed, as 99.5% will do, their stories may serve a useful purpose; to dissuade the next lot from making the same mistake, perhaps convincing them to get a degree first before rolling the dice.

Nothing new here, RMK is simply unaware that the world has changed a bit from the Neanderthal period. He is the definition of "Old School", if you expect him to use words in a manner that would make everyone happy, you simply have no clue as to who he is.

Should he have used a different word, yes! Would I think he'd give some thought to the use of the word, NO!...It's Bobby "Freakin" Knight, no different now than he has ever been!

No matter the choice of words, he's right, the NBA should change to the baseball policy,(strictly my opinion) and with the new Commissioner saying what he has said, I look for a change with the next CBA.

Yes, you could apply some tortured logic to say he intended the "original" meaning of the word, but let's be honest - anyone using "rape" as a metaphor in 2014 knows full well how loaded the term is and is only using it for shock value. It's cheap and it trivializes a deadly serious issue, and it was a boneheaded move on RMK's part, just like it was the last time he said it.

There's a reason certain people are your sports heroes, and not your close friends.

Ok, let me get this straight: the word "rape" is the new "n" word. Only women and victims of rape can use it, even though the word can be use in other than describing a sexual crime.

Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="KeithIUGrad89" post="53236" timestamp="1395759523"]Look, I understand the criminal definition (I am a criminal defense attorney) very well. The origin of the word goes back to late 14th century as "to rob and plunder". Anyone that studies English and word origins knows there is a duel meaning for this word. That doesn't mean we need to remove it from the general vernacular of the English language! When used in the correct context, NO ONE should get upset or misunderstand it's meaning. Bobby wasn't trying to use it in the criminal/sexual way; he used it in it's original meaning.

Keith[/quote]

Your a lawyer, you use words however they benefit YOU. Regardless of their "intended" meaning.

[quote name="Buck Naked" post="53341" timestamp="1395767543"]Ok, let me get this straight: the word "rape" is the new "n" word. Only women and victims of rape can use it, even though the word can be use in other than describing a sexual crime.

Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I sure hope you don't use either. Judging by your post, I'm sure you use such offensive words often enough to be offended by those who stand up against hate speech.

Your a lawyer, you use words however they benefit YOU. Regardless of their "intended" meaning.

Did you really just call him a "lawyer"? Were you aware that there may be people in here who've lost everything they own due to the less than scrupulous actions of a "lawyer" in court?; Who cares if he really is a Lawyer; that's besides the point. Your callous and flippant use of the word may have unintended consequences. It may force others to relive the embarrassment, shame and scorn associated from an earlier trauma, and thus turn to prescription Zanex for assistance. 

[quote name="eddiejsmall" post="53345" timestamp="1395767783"]I sure hope you don't use either. Judging by your post, I'm sure you use such offensive words often enough to be offended by those who stand up against hate speech.

Way to judge an entire person's life by 3 sentences.

You know absolutely nothing about me or who I am or what I say.

Eddie: Yes, I am a lawyer. BTW, when you use "your" in that instance, it is "you're" as in "you are a lawyer". "Your" means something one owns.

Are you gonna call me a "grammar Nazi" now? I may take offense since I am German too!   :)

Keith

[quote name="KeithIUGrad89" post="53373" timestamp="1395770149"]Eddie: Yes, I am a lawyer. BTW, when you use "your" in that instance, it is "you're" as in "you are a lawyer". "Your" means something one owns.

Are you gonna call me a "grammer Nazi" now? I may take offense since I am German too! :)

Keith[/quote]

keep it up, I just might. :) lol

Good debate, my biggest grammer error has always been you, your, and you're.

[quote name="Buck Naked" post="53364" timestamp="1395769046"]Way to judge an entire person's life by 3 sentences.

You know absolutely nothing about me or who I am or what I say.

Right, only know you by what you post...

[quote name="eddiejsmall" post="53378" timestamp="1395770533"]Right, only know you by what you post...

So then you DON'T know me so don't assume what I may or may not say or the words I may or may not use.

So then you DON'T know me so don't assume what I may or may not say or the words I may or may not use.

I'm really confused by this statement. Are you saying that your posting is not a reflection of who you are? If this is so it seems like it would be difficult to consistently post in a manner in which is not natural to your personality. How do you pull that off and why do it?  

But if you say it, then you say it. You don't might say something, right? Now I'm confused