Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMS vs Omaha - 10/6/21 @ 7:30 on BTN+

While the overnight weather in Bloomington will be wet, rain isn't expected to arrive until well after this match is over.

Live Stats

Indiana men's soccer opens a week of home non-conference matches Wednesday when it hosts Omaha at 7:30 p.m. ET on Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The match will be streamed on the B1G Network+ digital platform with with Jack Edwards, Derek Decker and Grace Ybarra on the call. Live stats can be found at IUHoosiers.com.

SETTING THE SCENE
• Wednesday night's matchup marks the first-ever contest between the two programs.
• Indiana holds a 3-1-1 record against non-conference opponents this season.
• The Hoosiers have scored 10 goals through seven matches this season. Six of the 10 tallies have been scored by a player that had not recorded a collegiate goal prior to the 2021 season. Freshman midfielder Tommy Mihalic (2), freshman forward Samuel Sarver (2), sophomore
defender Joey Maher, and redshirt junior Ben Yeagley have all provided goals for the Hoosier attack this season.

ABOUT THE WOLVERINES
• Omaha is led by fourth-year head coach Bob Warming. He has compiled a record of 21-24-7
during his time with the Mavericks. Warming was previously the head coach at Penn State,
where he was named Big Ten Coach of the Year in back-to-back seasons in 2012 annd 2013.
• The Mavericks have won three of their last four matches.
• Six of Omaha's eight results have been decided by one goal.
• The Mavericks have turned to three different keepers this season. Redshirt senior Jeremy
Pollard leads Omaha in minutes played (297:31), saves (7), goals against average (0.30) and save
percentage (0.875).
• Freshman Nathanael Sallah has played the duration of Omaha's last two matches in goal,
allowing just one goal in a 1-1 split against Creighton (1-0 loss) and Missouri-Kansas City (2-0
win).

HOOSIERS ON THE REBOUND
• For the third time during the 2021 season, IU was defeated (2-1) at home against the Michigan Wolverines on Friday, October 1. The loss
marked just the 16th setback for the Hoosiers in the regular season since the start of the 2014 campaign.
• In the matches immediately following a loss, Indiana holds a record of 12-0-4. IU has outscored its opponent 26-7 in those matches.
• IU bounced back from its first loss of the season (3-0 defeat to Creighton) with a 1-0 victory over Xavier on Sept. 6. After the Hoosiers fell
in their Big Ten opener against Rutgers on Sept. 17, Indiana followed with back-to-back conference road victories at Northwestern (2-1) and
Michigan State (1-0).
• The Hoosiers have not sustained back-to-back losses in the regular season since the 2013 season.

First time we clearly have a major talent advantage in every way this year.

Problem is we are not doing anything with it. Our passing is leaving a lot to be desired in terms of creating chances (good passing has been a hallmark of IU teams in past but exact opposite this year). We have had plenty of attacks where we have Omaha out of position only to make the wrong decision with the ball on the last pass and not even challenge the goalie.

We can be mad at the defense all we want and they have been bad at times, but to me the way we have attacked this year is far more concerning with all the scoring threats this team possesses. Bezerra looks like he would rather not be here and should of gone pro if that is case as in some ways he is a hinderance more than a help this season. 

Can we get a goal and survive this game? Stay tuned. 

Nice to go to OT with the nearly 200th ranked team in the nation. 

I knew this team had issues, but its much worse than I thought. Their decision making in the attack with the ball is the worst I have seen in my time watching team.

2013 was bad because we had the worst D in IU history, but our attacking was not bad. This defense while slipping at times  and has been a problem is not that bad. We have had attacks this bad before but the D was a bit better. The combination of both is worst I have seen in 25 years watching team. 

This teams build up is beyond atrocious and not something I am used to.  

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Our corners have mostly been awful all night.  We used to be good with the corner, At some point.  

I guess eventually, I’ll settle with thinking we aren’t very good.  I can’t for the life of me figure out why.  What’s wrong with Bezzara? Hardly ever a threat.  

GOOOAAALLLL

Lol.  Bezerra game winner with 20 seconds left. Pass from Glass.  

Well nice of Bezerra to finally do what he is capable of.

Only one other time recently can I think of a goal that late to win it. It was against Maryland in 2018 by Gutman to win 2-1. Difference is that was Maryland who later beat us in the College Cup that year and won the National Title. Talent wise pound for pound I expect to go to the wire against Maryland.

You should NEVER go to the wire against a hapless Omaha team. Glad we got away with it and maybe it will spark team.

With that said our decision making when attacking needs to improve by 1000%. If you are going double OT with Omaha you better of taken 25-30 shots and make their goalie and defense have a crazy night. While we clearly had majority of the chances, we didn't make the right decision at the end of attacking sequences more often than not and let Omaha off the hook way to many times.

As an aside I do not miss Omaha's retread coach Bob Warming one bit from PSU. It's not because he tore it up at PSU and won, but his style of defense heavy and parking bus led to inconsistency and was unwatchable. Low and behold now that PSU brought in Jeff Cook who brings in more talent and a much more pleasing attacking style, the Nittany Lions are much better and a game against them is far more pleasurable to watch despite being more challenging. Thank god him and Lenehan at NW are gone and every team in the Big Ten is actually trying to score now and are all watchable. Reason these two won less often than others. Terrible way to play soccer.

I have no problem with Warming doing it tonight and with Omaha at that level and IU had zero excuse not to break them down earlier given the talent discrepancy. Just don't miss not seeing him every year at PSU and it has zero to do with results since we beat him more often than not.

Now another level down to non-D1 Trine and we better win that one at least 5-0 and play everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Didn’t realize it was raining hard, guess that was a factor in it

It rained either lightly or moderately part of the game and that played some role, but the number one problem is our decision making when trying to finish attacking sequences. 

Rain or no rain we should and would of put 2-3 home in regulation if we made the correct final pass on our attacks. We had Omaha out of position more often than not and were in perfect position to score or challenge goalie many times, only to do wrong thing with ball and not finish. Been a problem all year. 

Glad we got the result and the rain was an irritant, but not the reason it took last minute dramatics to beat a hapless team.