Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball at Rutgers - 5/7 and 5/8/21 on BTN+

IU loses bottom of the 9th.
A walk and an excuse me bunt. With infield in, Perfectly placed ball does it.

Tough loss. IU didnt play very well. They were outhit and committed 5 errors.

Got another chance at them tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That was a game neither team really deserved. Without the rain delay, Povitch mows us down and that game is not close. Without all of Nebraska's walks we don't have a chance. Without all our errors Nebraska does not have a chance. 

What's great is tomorrow we have Bierman in our back pocket and get to be home team. Nebraska burned through their two best bullpen arms and they would not of had to without rain delay. Their second starter is not good. Big Advantage us. 

We need 7 or 8 strong from Bierman tomorrow in a must win (and he has delivered in big spots all year). All along this was the game I had us losing. A missed opportunity, but a win tomorrow erases this. All along this is game I had us losing this weekend. 

I knew we needed that first game as I thought we had zero chance in this one and without the rain delay that would of been the case.

We are back at same spot we were last week at this time facing a must win Sunday. We delivered then and need to again. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

As a team we are way too often caught trying to be the hero and it costing us. 

That being said had the umps stopped the game for rain when they should have this game is probably a different beast 

I dont agree at all with the first statement. 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

As a team we are way too often caught trying to be the hero and it costing us. 

That being said had the umps stopped the game for rain when they should have this game is probably a different beast 

This game is a different beast if we play through the rain (or it does not rain at all as Povitch would of killed us) or if Nebraska does not walk a million guys and it would not of been pretty. We don't make errors, we probably win. This is a game both teams tried to give away.

Nothing we could of done that ninth inning. Those were two excuse me infield singles that were perfectly placed.

I like our chances tomorrow with Bierman and being home team and Nebraska burning through their two best relievers. Hated our chances in this one for many reasons and we lost in a much closer game than I expected thanks to walks and rain delay. 

That rain delay did not help us today, but could come in huge tomorrow as Povitch was dealing and would of saved their pen. Now their two best arms are used up from pen and their other starting pitchers are righty's (finally even though we are doing better now against lefties) and mediocre. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I dont agree at all with the first statement. 

I agree. I think guy is at third with or without throw to first from what I saw. Guy was trying to steal and at second before ball was even picked up. Just two very lucky placed balls we could do nothing with. 

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

This game is a different beast if we play through the rain (or it does not rain at all as Povitch would of killed us) or if Nebraska does not walk a million guys and it would not of been pretty. We don't make errors, we probably win. This is a game both teams tried to give away.

Nothing we could of done that ninth inning. Those were two excuse me infield singles that were perfectly placed.

I like our chances tomorrow with Bierman and being home team and Nebraska burning through their two best relievers. Hated our chances in this one for many reasons and we lost in a much closer game than I expected thanks to walks and rain delay. That rain delay did not help us today, but could come in huge tomorrow as Povitch was dealing and would of saved their pen. Now their two best arms are used up from pen and their other starting pitchers are righty's (finally even though we are doing better now against lefties) and mediocre. 

Maybe it’s just different coaching philosophy but I was always taught if you can’t get the guy at first don’t throw it and instead control the runners. 

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

I agree. I think guy is at third with or without throw to first from what I saw. Guy was trying to steal and at second before ball was even picked up. Just two very lucky placed balls we could do nothing with. 

I just think our kids are solid. One game vs NE doesn't change that. Especially when we played 1 vs 4 rotation wise. 

Also.. we made their #1 throw 74p in 4 innings. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Maybe it’s just different coaching philosophy but I was always taught if you can’t get the guy at first don’t throw it and instead control the runners. 

I don't disagree there, but from what I saw guy was going to be at third with or without that throw with the jump he had and how slow ball rolled. 

BTW we are percentage points ahead of Michigan and 1/2 game ahead of Nebraska. Big Ten title pretty much rests on winning tomorrow then taking 2 of 3 from Michigan. Iowa 2 back and Maryland 2.5 back. Our sweep put Rutgers away and OSU 4.5 back so unless they sweep us in two games at home they have no chance.

Good news is we play very team chasing us besides Iowa and as long as we win tomorrow, take the Michigan and Maryland series and split with Ohio State and Nebraska at home I think we hoist the trophy.

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I don't disagree there, but from what I saw guy was going to be at third with or without that throw with the jump he had and how slow ball rolled. 

Maybe I’d have to watch again. But there was 0 shot at getting the guy at first.  Only bad things could have happened with that throw. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Maybe I’d have to watch again. But there was 0 shot at getting the guy at first.  Only bad things could have happened with that throw. 

But you acted like this happens all the time. It doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I agree there, but ultimately it made no difference as guy was at third anyways. Its like the Litwicki gamble in first game. Bad idea, but in end it had no affect on the outcome. 

Iowa just had their tying run thrown out at the plate on last play of game and they fall to PSU which is huge. Means they are now 2.5 back. They have by far easiest schedule left, but now 2.5 back they have some work to do, even with their schedule. Its all in our back pockets and we can win series we hoist trophy. We control our destiny.

51 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We had some questionable fielding decisions earlier in the game and in the first game as well. 

I don't remember any in the first game, at all. 

I certainly wouldn't have categorized them as hero ball.