Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWS vs Iowa - 2/28/21 @ 1:00 on BTN+

IU (1-1) vs Iowa (0-2)

Live Stats

On Sunday afternoon, Indiana Women's Soccer will face the Iowa Hawkeyes at Bill Armstrong Stadium at 1 p.m. ET.  The match will be streamed on Big Ten Network+.

SCOUTING THE HAWKEYES
Iowa dropped to 0-2 with a loss against Illinois on Thursday. Iowa led Illinois with seven corners and eight shots on goal but couldn't find the net. Goalkeeper Monica Wilhem totaled three saves in the 90 minutes played. The Hawkeyes went 15-5-1 and 7-3-1 in Big Ten Conference play in 2019. In their ninth season under the direction of head coach Dave Dilanni, he led Iowa to a nine game winning-streak to tie a program best at the start of the 2019 season. Iowa also posted eight shutouts and were ranked second in the Big Ten to conclude the 2019 season. Indiana fell to the Hawkeyes, 0-2, in Bloomington, Ind. on September 20, 2019. Iowa leads the all-time series 12-9-1. 

LAST TIME OUT
On Thursday, Indiana defeated Rutgers 1-0, in their season home opener. It was a defensive battle in regulation as neither team could capitalize. In overtime, a corner kick from freshman Anna Bennett bounced around until landing at the foot of senior Melanie Forbes in the 94th minute for the gamewinner. Bennett recorded her first career assist and point. Senior goalkeeper Bethany Kopel had three saves in 90 minutes and earned her 19th career shutout for a program best. Indiana saw three freshmen at the start in Anna Aehling, Anna Bennett, and Gabi Rennie. Jen Blitchok came off the bench and gave IU 56 minutes while classmate Zoe Tiger saw her first action off the bench. 

ENTERING VAN BENNEKOM'S SECOND YEAR
In the first season with head coach Erwin van Bennekom at the helm, Indiana went 8-9-2 on the year and advanced to the program's 14th appearance in the Big Ten Tournament. He was named the fourth coach in Indiana Women's Soccer history on Dec. 4, 2018 after spending the previous four seasons at Duke as associate head coach. His time at Duke was the most successful stretch in the Blue Devils' history, earning a 68- 17-11 record and advancing to a pair of Women's College Cups. During the offseason, he added associate head coach Sergio Gonzalez and promoted assistant coach Emily Basten.

THREE EARN CONFERENCE PRESEASON HONORS
The Big Ten announced its Women's Soccer Preseason Players to Watch List on Wednesday with sophomore Avery Lockwood and freshmen Anna Aehling and Jen Blitchok representing Indiana. In addition, the preseason poll was unveiled with the Hoosiers coming in in eighth place. Both were voted on by the conference coaches.

Lockwood, a midfielder from Grand Rapids, Mich., started every game last year and led the team in points (13), goals (5) and game-winners (3). She was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team, as well as Top Drawer Soccer's Top 100 Freshmen list. Aehling, a defender from Coesfeld, Germany, has competed for her country multiple times, including in the U17 UEFA European Championship, U17 FIFA World Cup and U19 UEFA European Championship. Fellow freshman Blitchok joins the Hoosiers as a forward from Grandville, Mich. She saw great success at the club level, leading Midwest United FC to a U18/19 U.S. Soccer DA Championship. She was also an All-State and All-Conference selection from Grandville High School.

RETURNING THIS SEASON
Along with Lockwood, the Hoosiers return several starters from last year including Melanie Forbes, Allison Jorden, Hanna Nemeth, Oliwia Wos, Madeline Carlson and Alaina Kalin. Between the pipes, senior goalkeeper Bethany Kopel has the most shutouts in program history with 16 and was the anchor behind setting a new record in shutouts (9) and tying the record for Big Ten shutouts (6) last season.

WHAT'S AHEAD
This year's shortened schedule includes 11 regular season conference games, as well a a regional playoff weekend (April 8-11) and the Big Ten Tournament (April 15-18).

ATTENDANCE POLICY
Consistent with IU Athletics' ongoing efforts to protect the health and safety of students, coaches, staff, spectators and the local community, women's soccer matches will be played without fans indefinitely. IU Athletics' decision is in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and is consistent with what has transpired on all Big Ten campuses.

Halftime with Hoosiers leading 2-0 with Melanie Forbes and a brace.   And so you can all laugh at me I'm going to share a funny story.  When I was very new to btb and just getting started with actual posting vs. lurking I started sending pm's to CCG and he was absolutely super at holding my hand and giving me the ins and outs of btb.  One day in the men's soccer thread he posted that player x had a brace.  Being totally unfamiliar with the game of soccer I sent him a message and asked how he could be playing that well wearing a brace!  True story.   Really miss that guy.  RIP Gary.

IU              IA

Shots:        3              4

SOG:          2              2

Corners    0               3

Fouls        4               7

IUWS moves to 2-1 on the season with a 2-0 win over Iowa.  

Next Thursday the women will be at Penn State and then on to Maryland for a Sunday afternoon match.

IU              IA

Shots:        7                8

SOG:           5               3

Corners      1               3

Fouls           9             14

Offsides     2              2

What are the early thoughts on Van Bennekom? I heard Dakich say we botched this hire but I have not really paid much attention. Some feedback at the club level here in Indy wasn’t favorable but it was a small discussion with some parents who could be crazy for all know.

I have met his girlfriend who also coaches in the area. My daughter really enjoyed her ID camp but would probably choose a bigger school.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Forbes Named TopDrawerSoccer’s Player of the Week

Indiana women's soccer senior Melanie Forbes was named TopDrawerSoccer's player of the week. This recognition comes off of Forbes' gamewinning goals in back-to-back games for the Hoosiers.

In overtime, Forbes scored the gamewinner in the 94th minute against Rutgers on Thursday Feb. 25. She gave the Hoosiers their first win of the season at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

On Sunday, Indiana defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes, 2-0, as Forbes netted a brace to put the Hoosiers ahead. Her first goal was assisted by sophomore Avery Lockwood in the eighth minute for second gamewinner of the season. Forbes netted a goal in the 30th minute unassisted to secure the Hoosier win.