Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

NBA Draft: Noah Vonleh

I could see him working out in Orlando, though disagree pretty strongly with their comments comparing him to Harkless, Vucevic, and Harris. Harris and Harkless both operate primarily on the perimeter with limited low post games. And Vucevic is the opposite with no real upside for the three ball which Vonleh certainly has. 

Edit: *From everything I have seen from those three, that is what their game entails

[quote name="KingPG21" post="69081" timestamp="1401839616"]I could see him working out in Orlando, though disagree pretty strongly with their comments comparing him to Harkless, Vucevic, and Harris. Harris and Harkless both operate primarily on the perimeter with limited low post games. And Vucevic is the opposite with no real upside for the three ball which Vonleh certainly has.

Edit: *From everything I have seen from those three, that is what their game entails[/quote]

I didn't read the article, but the comparisons you listed are laughable. MAYBE Vucevic, but Harkless and Harris are 3's and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I didn't read the article, but the comparisons you listed are laughable. MAYBE Vucevic, but Harkless and Harris are 3's and nothing more.

Yeah when I was reading through it, it caught me off guard. At first I thought they were just vaguely referring to a player on the team, then in the next paragraph they listed those three players while talking about the advantages of having a third year player over a rookie. 

And with upside, I'm obviously biased, but I find it hard to believe any of those three have as high a ceiling as Vonleh. Harkless in particular hasn't shown much to even warrant talking about his huge ceiling as a realistic possibility. Maybe Vucevic, but again his perimeter potential is seemingly much lower than Noah's

[quote name="KingPG21" post="69083" timestamp="1401840840"]Yeah when I was reading through it, it caught me off guard. At first I thought they were just vaguely referring to a player on the team, then in the next paragraph they listed those three players while talking about the advantages of having a third year player over a rookie.

And with upside, I'm obviously biased, but I find it hard to believe any of those three have as high a ceiling as Vonleh. Harkless in particular hasn't shown much to even warrant talking about his huge ceiling as a realistic possibility. Maybe Vucevic, but again his perimeter potential is seemingly much lower than Noah's[/quote]

I think Harris can be a beast and Vucevic is really solid, too. If they can get a PG, they have potential to be legit. That's why I think they should take Exum.

I don't know who will be the better player long-term between Vonleh and Parker, but the idea that Parker's "ceiling" is low because of his athleticism is ridiculous to me. The guy played one year of college basketball and was phenomenal for most of the year. 

He's what? 19, maybe 20. A players ceiling isn't based just on pure athleticism. Parker can improve his NBA 3-pt shot, improve his ball handling, improve his post game, defense, shooting off the dribble, etc. 

I'm not really arguing Parker vs. Vonleh, I'm pretty high on Vonleh's future, I more just find it ridiculous that they could say a guy as young as Parker has a low ceiling. I don't buy that. 

Think it's possible?
Vonleh over Parker for the 3rd overall?

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/06/2014_nba_mock_draft_sixers_pass_on_jabari_parker_for_noah_vonleh.html

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I wouldn't do it. Honestly screw potential when it comes to guys going this high. And I'd add that if Parker's ceiling was really as limited as what is being hinted at he wouldn't be seen as a potential top 3 pick in this draft and with the how highly NBA talent scouts value potential. 

Parker was pretty beastly offensively with having a lot thrown at him and being the central point of their offense, and rebounding he was really good as well. Defensively he has a ways to go, also it is worth talking about that defenses probably won't have the ability to key in on him as much as they did in college. 

I think some of the stuff about Vonleh's potential is a bit overblown, yeah it is super high. But some people act like his being raw and having this super high ceiling should play to his favor. Which if you look at draft history guys who are raw but have a ton of potential grow on trees in the draft. Obviously I want to see Vonleh do well, just kind of tired of seeing stuff being written that him being so raw should play to his advantage in the draft. 

I'm kind of surprised no one has brought this up here. Apparently Noah is tweaking/adjusting his shooting motion, that just seems weird. He shot the ball well and was consistent with it, thought in a small sample size.

I will say I do get it given his shot mechanics aren't that great, but at the same this is usually something pro prospects do after they've been drafted. And have been able to get together with a shooting coach, usually with some association with the team. 

[quote name="choosier40" post="70570" timestamp="1402885817"]I personally don't think Vonleh is ready to go pro yet. he needs more experience with the game to be a decent pro ball player.

choosier40[/quote] He's ready. He may not be ready to be a rotation player, but the experience he'll gain in practice up against grown men bigger than him in the post will do more for him than another year at Indiana. HMP wasn't going to push him enough in practice. He's demonstrated his outside shooting abilities and that he has solid inside moves. Time for him to learn an NBA offense.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Wow, 3 overall. If I an recruiting against Indiana, I am hammering home the point that Crean couldn't make the NIT with a top 3 pick or past the sweet 16 with two of them. I can see why we are struggling with recruiting.

Wow, 3 overall. If I an recruiting against Indiana, I am hammering home the point that Crean couldn't make the NIT with a top 3 pick or past the sweet 16 with two of them. I can see why we are struggling with recruiting.

We got one the top Indiana high school recruit who is one of the best ones out there overall. Then Rojo who is a guy who is probably a 3 year guy and should be a good prospect. This was a solid recruiting class, just because we haven't heard anything big recently I don't but the huge struggles with recruiting some of you guys seem to talk about

Also arguably the top two shooters in this class. Which was our most immediate weakness last year

[quote name="CampCrean" post="66649" timestamp="1400182875"]Where did this Noah bashing rumor even start? What is the epicenter of all of this. It seems to have gained a lot of traction with no real insider info or anything. Can anyone provide links or tweets or anything?[/quote]I think the speculation began when we didn't land okonboh

Sent from my XT1050 using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="ccgeneral" post="71027" timestamp="1403289560"]Joel Embiid having foot surgery and may slid a bit.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140619/joel-embiid-stress-fracture-2014-nba-draft/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140619/joel-embiid-stress-fracture-2014-nba-draft/[/url][/quote] Man, you really gotta feel bad for the kid.

Think this could negatively effect where Noah ends up?  seems like some teams needing a guy like Vonleh would also look to scoop up Embiid then (but just not at the very top of the list).  Maybe the teams looking at Vonleh might pick up Embiid instead in those 4th to 10th pick range.

Man, you really gotta feel bad for the kid.

It sucks as a basketball fan. Dude had all the potential in the world, and had already shown so much growth. Watching him go back and forth with Anthony Davis for 12-15 years would be really entertaining basketball. Maybe he can still reach that potential, but it seems so unlikely now