Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Game of thrones

That trailer got me way too excited for this new season! I can't wait to see how everything unfolds and if they bridge the gap between the show and books. I've been biding my time by reading too many fan theories that could fit into both versions, I want to see how wrong we all are!

I am with you there. I am one that enjoys the 2 versions as separate forms of entertainment. The problem now is Martin has stated the show will be ahead of the books so if you watch season 6 it will spoil the next book which has taken him close to 4 years to finish

I am with you there. I am one that enjoys the 2 versions as separate forms of entertainment. The problem now is Martin has stated the show will be ahead of the books so if you watch season 6 it will spoil the next book which has taken him close to 4 years to finish

Some parts but are completely different so there's nothing so spoil. The Dorne storyline is very different (missing characters, different plot/motivation behind including it), everything that happens in the North is altered, a lot of the stuff in the Free Cities has deviated. I do enjoy them as different forms of entertainment so I'm not too concerned about spoilers.

But some things will be very fun to see happen in both in very different ways. I can't wait to see how Jon's (is he one of the heads of the dragon?!) and Arya's stories happen, and what impact Tyrion can make in the free cities.

Some parts but are completely different so there's nothing so spoil. The Dorne storyline is very different (missing characters, different plot/motivation behind including it), everything that happens in the North is altered, a lot of the stuff in the Free Cities has deviated. I do enjoy them as different forms of entertainment so I'm not too concerned about spoilers.
But some things will be very fun to see happen in both in very different ways. I can't wait to see how Jon's (is he one of the heads of the dragon?!) and Arya's stories happen, and what impact Tyrion can make in the free cities.

i wasn't happy with how the show treated barristan Selmy's arc last year but I guess tyrion is going to take over that part of the book. There is just too much information and detail in those books to use it all. A couple characters I would of liked to see make in the show was cold hands, Belwas and a certain lady that hasn't shown up in the show yet and I don't think she will. Can't wait to see the show version of the other greyjoys

i wasn't happy with how the show treated barristan Selmy's arc last year but I guess tyrion is going to take over that part of the book. There is just too much information and detail in those books to use it all. A couple characters I would of liked to see make in the show was cold hands, Belwas and a certain lady that hasn't shown up in the show yet and I don't think she will. Can't wait to see the show version of the other greyjoys

Belwas was out a long time ago. He and Coldhands are great characters but don't have enough impact on everything that happens to need them. They'll just pawn their actions off on other characters (Daario and Jojen). I don't think LSH will be coming around either, especially with changing Sansa and Theon's story.

Sansa's new story disappoints me a little. I like where she was going in the books and feel like that's going to lead her to becoming some sort of political weapon that backfires on her "father."

I also think the show is going to reveal more about what happened either during Robert's Rebellion or during Ned's childhood. Apparently they brought in Ian McShane for some stuff that will "bring back a character we didn't think we'd see again." Maybe he's going to play Ned's father? Or even the Sword of the Morning, which could shed some light on R+L=J? I'm getting too excited now...

Belwas was out a long time ago. He and Coldhands are great characters but don't have enough impact on everything that happens to need them. They'll just pawn their actions off on other characters (Daario and Jojen). I don't think LSH will be coming around either, especially with changing Sansa and Theon's story.
Sansa's new story disappoints me a little. I like where she was going in the books and feel like that's going to lead her to becoming some sort of political weapon that backfires on her "father."
I also think the show is going to reveal more about what happened either during Robert's Rebellion or during Ned's childhood. Apparently they brought in Ian McShane for some stuff that will "bring back a character we didn't think we'd see again." Maybe he's going to play Ned's father? Or even the Sword of the Morning, which could shed some light on R+L=J? I'm getting too excited now...

i would love to see a flashback to the battle of the trident in the next book or season and the tower of joy where Eddard and howland reed survived

i would love to see a flashback to the battle of the trident in the next book or season and the tower of joy where Eddard and howland reed survived

I think the Tower of Joy would be a HUGE one to see.

All right, so I'm at a computer, let me expand a little on what I said:

I think overall, the previous season was bad. It was bad storytelling and bad writing. Character's actions did not make sense given their characterization and plotlines drifted in confusing and stupid directions. It's not that they change things from the books, it's that they change things and make them worse.

While I've watched the first four seasons dozens of times, I've only seen this one almost twice, so bear with me if I miss some details. Storyline by storyline...

Sansa - Littlefinger would not ever place such a valuable piece as Sansa in the hands of the Boltons. Nor would he use her in such a low value plan. She's the heir of the North and arguably, the Queen in the North, and he's going to set up some confusing plan to barely gain advantage? And be so callous toward the girl who supposedly looks just like the girl he obsesses over? No way. And how is he traveling so quickly?

Brienne - Oh my gosh, her finding the girls is so dumb. Her leaving with Arya is dumb. Her leaving without Sansa is dumb. What is the point of keeping her character around to keep doing dumb things?

Boltons in general - Why can the Boltons just accomplish whatever they want without effort no matter how unrealistic it is? 20 good men versus Stannis' army. Oops, Stannis didn't set out a perimeter, dig pits, or set spikes for his camp outside of the enemy castle. What?

Stannis - Stannis would not burn his daughter for something so minor. Melisandre would not ask for her for something so minor. 3 leeches of king's blood can kill kings (oh unless they're Grey...) but a little girl full? Eh, maybe stop some wind.

Jon - Hey, be a little subtle about Olly. And the reasons for stabbing Jon are dumb and ignore the entire point. Plus, Jon's election was beyond cheesy.

Arya - Is Trant a bad guy? I can't tell. Can you have him say too old again?

Dany - These are the best warriors in the world! Lolz, no they aren't.

Bran - Is no longer on the show I guess.

Dorne - Literally all of Dorne is nonsense.

I think overall, the previous season was bad. It was bad storytelling and bad writing. Character's actions did not make sense given their characterization and plotlines drifted in confusing and stupid directions. It's not that they change things from the books, it's that they change things and make them worse.

While I've watched the first four seasons dozens of times, I've only seen this one almost twice, so bear with me if I miss some details. Storyline by storyline...

Sansa - Littlefinger would not ever place such a valuable piece as Sansa in the hands of the Boltons. Nor would he use her in such a low value plan. She's the heir of the North and arguably, the Queen in the North, and he's going to set up some confusing plan to barely gain advantage? And be so callous toward the girl who supposedly looks just like the girl he obsesses over? No way. And how is he traveling so quickly?

Brienne - Oh my gosh, her finding the girls is so dumb. Her leaving with Arya is dumb. Her leaving without Sansa is dumb. What is the point of keeping her character around to keep doing dumb things?

Boltons in general - Why can the Boltons just accomplish whatever they want without effort no matter how unrealistic it is? 20 good men versus Stannis' army. Oops, Stannis didn't set out a perimeter, dig pits, or set spikes for his camp outside of the enemy castle. What?

Stannis - Stannis would not burn his daughter for something so minor. Melisandre would not ask for her for something so minor. 3 leeches of king's blood can kill kings (oh unless they're Grey...) but a little girl full? Eh, maybe stop some wind.

Jon - Hey, be a little subtle about Olly. And the reasons for stabbing Jon are dumb and ignore the entire point. Plus, Jon's election was beyond cheesy.

have you read the books? Because most of your problems are when the writers went in a different direction then the books. I agree with u that this was my least favorite season and I finally just came to conclusion I had to view the show and books as different forms of entrainment

There was a ton of bad writing in season 5 but I think that they're going to wrap some of it up and clean it up a bit.

- In Dorne, poisoning Myrcella is their short way around a huge plotline in the book that could possibly have Trystane (in the show) start to pursue Dany. That could be a super interesting plot coming out of seemingly nowhere (but not really, see how loyal the Martell's were to the Targaryans) that has HUGE implications on everything.

- Sansa wasn't supposed to be with the Boltons. I think what they were trying to go for was that giving the Bolton's Sansa rightfully secures the North for them, giving Littlefinger a very powerful ally for him to later exploit. He would then be running the North (through the Boltons, which I think would've backfired, Roose is too smart and Ramsey is too crazy) AND the Eerie. He would basically control 2 of the 7 kingdoms, and that's before you factor in his ties to the crown. Obviously that plan failed with Sansa and Theon ran, but at least they tried, right?

- Brienne's actions completely fit her character. She's the epitome of honor, she isn't someone to go on a killing spree just to grab Sansa. She's straightforward, stubborn, and WAY too innocent. Basically the opposite characteristics of someone who wants to succeed in Westeros.

- Stannis fails for similar reasons to Brienne. He's honorable, straightforward, and predictable. I don't like how his story happened in the show. He's much too thorough for that sort of thing to happen, but I think the writers were trying to show how obsessed with the gaining the crown and seduced by Melisendre he's become.

- I think the Bolton's are being protected by plot armor. They have a lot to do with what's coming so they need to stick around haha.

- Jon's stabbing in the show only covered one of the many reasons he was stabbed in the books. They've lowered his story into a single dimension (they picked wrong one if you ask me) which oversimplified it. But given all of the theories floating out there (R+L=J, Azor Ahai, etc.), it's very possible that he's not done and they were just trying to get to this point so they could make the next epic thing happen.

- I wish they would delve deeper into Arya's identity crisis. It's so good, it's so well done in the books. She becomes CONSUMED with revenge and the only way she can think to accomplish it is requiring her to throw it away. Again, oversimplification.

- Now the Unsullied are the greatest warriors on the open battlefield. They aren't meant to be city guards or anything. So that's not a plot hole. But there's a ton of depth to her character and struggles that's being skimmed over, again I assume to get to the next arc. Her time on the Dothraki sea is going to be major, both in her relationship with Drogon and her development into the badass conqueror we know we all want her to be. I also think it's how they'll connect the Greyjoys (the others besides Theon, Balon's brothers) into the show story. 

- Bran is coming back. They reached the end of his story in the book at the end of season 4, I'm assuming they didn't want to venture further until the rest of the characters were caught up.

Sorry for the wall of text, here's my point: I agree there was some terrible writing this past season. I can see what they were trying to do in some spots, but still, meh. But there's a lot coming that's going to be awesome Things are going to start connecting and fecal matter is going to hit the fan!

Also, if you're looking for a good reading investment, read the books. They're incredible, absolutely amazing. If you thought the show was detailed, you know nothing. The world he creates, maintains, and develops is so realistic (not the magic but the politics, relationships, motivations) that it's near impossible to put down. Also a lot of the story will make more sense. Give it a shot, you won't regret it! I'm even due for a reread...

I'm glad there are huge fans on this board. I could talk thrones all night. No way jons story is done. the name a song of ice and fire can be interpreted several different ways in my opinion I just hope the last book will get released in a more timely fashion. I got theory on who the church will use in their trail by combat that is coming up in the next book

I'm glad there are huge fans on this board. I could talk thrones all night. No way jons story is done. the name a song of ice and fire can be interpreted several different ways in my opinion I just hope the last book will get released in a more timely fashion. I got theory on who the church will use in their trail by combat that is coming up in the next book

I have a guess, which means I'm probably wrong. But I could think of a person that would not only have been foreshadowed, but stir up a lot of awesome stuff!

I have a guess, which means I'm probably wrong. But I could think of a person that would not only have been foreshadowed, but stir up a lot of awesome stuff!

especially if Robert strong is a certain someone that battle will be epic and one people have been wanting to see since book 1

especially if Robert strong is a certain someone that battle will be epic and one people have been wanting to see since book 1

Ok I could think of two that could stir the pot a bit!

SPOT ON

The Jon election pissed me off.  That was one of the best story lines in book 3; and the show did it absolutely no justice.