Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

weaverswonders6

Travel Thread

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

God, 100 Foot Wave was mesmerizing. 

Yeah, rolling ocean is my favorite thing on the planet that doesn’t share my last name. Hypnotized by it. That lighthouse above the surf in Nazare is unbelievable. Will absolutely go there. There’s a movie called Riding Giants, about the history of big wave surfing, that is just awesome.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yeah, rolling ocean is my favorite thing on the planet that doesn’t share my last name. Hypnotized by it. That lighthouse above the surf in Nazare is unbelievable. Will absolutely go there. There’s a movie called Riding Giants, about the history of big wave surfing, that is just awesome.

Great movie. I neither surf nor ski/snowboard, but one of my favorite things is melting into an artsy surf/snow movie. Valhalla is an all-timer. I found it on Netflix and it opens with an insane skiing montage to Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic. I think everyone was naked too? Idk, highly recommend.

Bonsai Pipeline on Oahu during Quicksilver is cray cray. Sunset Beach is beautiful then gets serious. I don't surf.
  But am a water lover. Except when green water washed over the submarine while on watch topside in the English Channel. That was enough surfing for me.

Stumbled across the triple crown at Sunset driving up the windward shore while exploring the island my first few months living there. I would highly recommend visiting a surfing event if you get the chance.

I love surfing but the north shore swells are a different animal. The biggest I’ve surfed were ~12’ waves on the south shore during summer swells and that is considered small in winter on the north shore.

10 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

For anyone who travels the area…

On a Saturday morning would I be better taking 475 around Cincinnati coming from the west or go straight into the city on 74 and get to 75S that way?

Not sure about coming from the west but last fall I went right through the heart of downtown on a Saturday afternoon heading west.  Traffic was moderately heavy but only 1 construction zone as I recall and it wasn't lengthy.  

https://www.ohgo.com/sw-ohio?lt=40.10035899405379&ln=-85.54475353202149&z=10&ls=incident,construction

10 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

For anyone who travels the area…

On a Saturday morning would I be better taking 475 around Cincinnati coming from the west or go straight into the city on 74 and get to 75S that way?

I would get on your smart phone app and check travel times and alternate routes.  We go from Dayton OH south on I-75 and 19 times out of 20 it is best to just go straight through Cincy to get to 75 southbound.  There has been and will be construction on 75.  One would think that it would be finished.  But that is NEVER THE CASE.

Saturdays are not bad except for the way northern migration southbound in spring.   Just check before you arrive in that section.  Sorry I can't be more precise.

Heck, we even go straight through Atlanta rather than go around.  Just not hit it during rush hours during the week.

I am in India for an IU trip and have been meeting with IU alumni here. They are amazing and so gracious. I had a lot of great conversations about IU basketball! One asked if I was excited about Rice!

if any of you come to India, you should definitely meet with the IU alumni here!

Planning a fam trip to England / Europe for August (avoiding Paris in July - Olympics). 
Haven’t been since ‘98. Will probably hit 3, maybe 4 cities/countries, looking for suggestions— 

Starting in London as have Brit cousins (aunt on mom’s side grew up and married in England, the then Queen’s doctor but that’s another story).

Have to go across the water to Paris, love, love Paris. 
May go to Amsterdam, not sure (daughter’s finishing an internship in Gronigen, Netherlands).

any suggestions for a family (all adults) friendly, not too hot in August (e.g. no way Rome, no a/c and temps are bad now there in summer), that is maybe a bit off the usual tourist route, Prague? Others?

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Planning a fam trip to England / Europe for August (avoiding Paris in July - Olympics). 
Haven’t been since ‘98. Will probably hit 3, maybe 4 cities/countries, looking for suggestions— 

Starting in London as have Brit cousins (aunt on mom’s side grew up and married in England, the then Queen’s doctor but that’s another story).

Have to go across the water to Paris, love, love Paris. 
May go to Amsterdam, not sure (daughter’s finishing an internship in Gronigen, Netherlands).

any suggestions for a family (all adults) friendly, not too hot in August (e.g. no way Rome, no a/c and temps are bad now there in summer), that is maybe a bit off the usual tourist route, Prague? Others?

If you want to be a bit adventerous, the apls - swiss, italian, french - all gorgeous. Was just in the Swiss alps this winter to ski but they're awesome in the summer too. Lots of gorgeous small towns easily accessible by train. Vienna is also one of my favorite cities in the world. Not a ton to do with kids, though. Was also in Helsinki a couple weeks ago - great little town.

Spent a week in the Grand Cayman's over spring break w/the Natty Fam.  I can't recommend it enough.  White sands, crystal blue waters, friendly people, easy to navigate (once you get accustomed to a RHD car and driving on the left hand side).  We felt safe the entire time.  Food is incredibly expensive however (which makes sense considering essentially everything aside from seafood is imported).

3 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Guess this is travel related. Spending three weeks at our cabin in Western N. Carolina.

Went for breakfast this morning. One of the specials was catfish and grits. 

Who in the hell would eat that at 8:30 in the morning?

this guy