Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Str8Hoosiers

Preseason football

Saw this debated on First Take this morning. Currently the NFL has 4 preseason games (NCAA has 0). With the injury concerns what should change? If anything? The argument was that since college has none why are there 4 needed for professionals? The biggest reason mentioned was $$$. They suggested that 1 dress rehearsal game would be a good compromise and plenty to get ready for the season.

I feel the preseason is more important for young players and especially for player #40 - #53 (I think that is the final roster size)... Those guys go all out and are playing for something... For the starters and even 2nd string they are going through the motions only... Teams still make a lot of money on these games but pretty unsure to the fans who want to see the stars... Jordy Nelson, Kelvin Benjamin are just a couple this year that are out already and why?

But my thought is also if you don't play players in the preseason would we see the same high injury rates during the first few weeks of the regular season? Is it a matter of working the body too hard in camp after an off season? Would a slower return to football help or hurt?

Re: Last paragraph...you would have to look at injury rates throughout the season probably. I don't think it would matter much, personally. Injuries happen every week to regular starters.

Re: Last paragraph...you would have to look at injury rates throughout the season probably. I don't think it would matter much, personally. Injuries happen every week to regular starters.

Wonder where you could find that type of information? I would be curious to see it, although there are always injuries I feel like there are more to start the year and less as the year goes on... But maybe it's just the spotlight put on pre season injuries.

Another option mentioned was scrimmage type pre season games, shoulder pads and helmets only, no lower pads, QB completely off limits, no hitting low at all.. Would help condition the players to tackle between the hips and shoulders.

Wonder where you could find that type of information? I would be curious to see it, although there are always injuries I feel like there are more to start the year and less as the year goes on... But maybe it's just the spotlight put on pre season injuries.

Another option mentioned was scrimmage type pre season games, shoulder pads and helmets only, no lower pads, QB completely off limits, no hitting low at all.. Would help condition the players to tackle between the hips and shoulders.

I think that's what you get with the joint practices and I really don't see a need for more than that. All about the money, which is too bad. Hopefully the NFLPA can make something happen.

I think that's what you get with the joint practices and I really don't see a need for more than that. All about the money, which is too bad. Hopefully the NFLPA can make something happen.

Yea so maybe make the joint practices public with concessions, TV, etc... Make the owners the money they desire and potentially save the players.