Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Idea to balance the Big Ten schedule even further

We are all aware or should be aware that of all the Big Ten winners since Kenpom only one team has been in the upper half of strength of schedule. 

I imagine this was part of the reason they moved to a 20 game schedule but there are still going to be huge swings in SOS. 

So I was wondering why not try what some of the other leagues are doing and have a flex schedule.

What I meant by this is play a massive round robin to start the season play every team once. With games either being home or away alternating from the previous season. Play Rutgers at home one year play Rutgers on the road the next. 

After this round robin you split the league into two tiers. The top 7 teams have another round robin and the bottom seven teams have their own.  

This would be 19 games so between the round robins you would have each team play a team from the other tier in order to equalize home and away  

Advantages

We get treated to some great basketball with the top teams always playing twice every year. 

The top team really will be the best team  

The 8th-10th team can pad a possible NIT or if the league is up Tourney resume with wins  

The worst teams can maybe pick up a few extra wins to help look better to recruits  

Cons

Schedule isn't really balanced  just the top half and bottom half

Theoretically possible a team in the lower tier ends with the best record  

Teams in the bottom tier after half the conference schedule essentially lose the ability to make the tournament since their SOS would be sacrificed. The B1G can legitimately put 6 teams in the tournament in any given year, and those 6 may not be the top teams in early January

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

14 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Teams in the bottom tier after half the conference schedule essentially lose the ability to make the tournament since their SOS would be sacrificed. The B1G can legitimately put 6 teams in the tournament in any given year, and those 6 may not be the top teams in early January

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

The 13th game between big ten teams wont be played in early January. Closer to the end of January. 

While there is a chance the 8th could make a run. Probably better that the 6th and 7th have quality competition to boost their resumes. 

This would likely be a difficult pitch for ticket sales as they would already be released to season ticket holders/the public before knowing who’s in the top/bottom half

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

how about the B1G just go all the way with this and make it a 26 game conference schedule and true Round Robin.  Then you will have a balanced conference.  Instead of playing other Power 5 teams out of conference like Arkansas, Notre Dame, and Butler, just play everyone in conference.  Same talent level.  Leave ya with 5 out of conference games.  Schedule 2 low-high mid major level teams, keep the ACC/B1G Challenge and then 1-2 other opponents (Cough Cough, Kentucky and Louisville).

34 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

how about the B1G just go all the way with this and make it a 26 game conference schedule and true Round Robin.  Then you will have a balanced conference.  Instead of playing other Power 5 teams out of conference like Arkansas, Notre Dame, and Butler, just play everyone in conference.  Same talent level.  Leave ya with 5 out of conference games.  Schedule 2 low-high mid major level teams, keep the ACC/B1G Challenge and then 1-2 other opponents (Cough Cough, Kentucky and Louisville).

I'm going to make the assumption that the B1G isn't done acquiring universities. I don't think a full round robin will ever again be possible. 

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I'm going to make the assumption that the B1G isn't done acquiring universities. I don't think a full round robin will ever again be possible. 

I agree unless we went to 20 teams that completely separated into 2, 10 Team divisions and and went back to a 18 game  schedule and played everyone in your own division 2 times.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yep still dream of snagging Notre Dame somehow