Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierHoopster

Dog Thread - help with older dogs

Not sure if there’s an existing thread, mods please merge if there is.

My best friend- my 9 year old Boxer - I think has canine degenerative myelopathy. Super energetic playful dog, now his hind legs, mostly the right leg, are giving out, he doesn’t notice that his right paw knuckles are bent under so his paw is facing up, he places both hind legs close together to stand, his right leg swings out from under him. Had him at vet and waiting on neurologist report but all these symptoms match degenerative myelopathy. It’s killing me, this dog is my guy. 
Has anyone had a dog with degenerative myelopathy or similar- any alternative treatment advice? My reading on the this says there’s no cure, like Lou G disease, other than getting him as much exercise as possible, i should get him a dog wheelchair soon and expect him to live only another 6 months or so.
Any experience or advice with this sh$&ty situation appreciated

Thanks. There’s no pain involved as it’s nerve degeneration. That part is a good thing I guess, but man I’m just trying to find something that probably requires I somehow beat the odds.He eats well - I get high quality dog food with no grains and additives and for older dogs.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Not sure if there’s an existing thread, mods please merge if there is.

My best friend- my 9 year old Boxer - I think has canine degenerative myelopathy. Super energetic playful dog, now his hind legs, mostly the right leg, are giving out, he doesn’t notice that his right paw knuckles are bent under so his paw is facing up, he places both hind legs close together to stand, his right leg swings out from under him. Had him at vet and waiting on neurologist report but all these symptoms match degenerative myelopathy. It’s killing me, this dog is my guy. 
Has anyone had a dog with degenerative myelopathy or similar- any alternative treatment advice? My reading on the this says there’s no cure, like Lou G disease, other than getting him as much exercise as possible, i should get him a dog wheelchair soon and expect him to live only another 6 months or so.
Any experience or advice with this sh$&ty situation appreciated

So sorry HH! Dogs are the best thing on the planet. My 45 lb big guy just turned 12 and even though he’s pretty healthy I’m spoiling the crap out of him lately because I know he’s into ‘bonus years’.

I’m not educated on this except to say that you should give him whatever it takes to get wags. Toys, steak sandwiches, meth; whatever.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

So sorry HH! Dogs are the best thing on the planet. My 45 lb big guy just turned 12 and even though he’s pretty healthy I’m spoiling the crap out of him lately because I know he’s into ‘bonus years’.

I’m not educated on this except to say that you should give him whatever it takes to get wags. Toys, steak sandwiches, meth; whatever.

Definitely. And yeah he’s senior in boxer years. He’s a big boxer, 95 pounds and not much is fat, tough old guy

There is a test for degenerative myelopathy that can help differentiate between arthritis, disc disease, cancer or other causes of ataxia. If you are going to a neurologist those guys are really good and will find the problem.