Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

The NCAA has announced the location for its 4 regional camps.  Session 1 will be July 23-25 and Session 2 July 26-28.  Loctions are:  University of Houston, University of Illinois, UConn and Grand Canyon University.   From the NCAA's website:

The new camp initiative was created as part of the NCAA’s recent reforms to college basketball and aim to integrate the higher education experience with the traditional recruiting process. These camps are designed to complement already existing recruiting opportunities. The camps will invite as many as 2,400 rising seniors, juniors and select sophomores, with up to 300 high school basketball players competing in each of the eight sessions across the four sites. All expenses for participants and one chaperone – such as a parent or guardian – will be paid by the NCAA. 

The youth development college basketball camps, run by the NCAA with support from the National Association of Basketball Coaches and other key basketball organizations, will blend a high level of instruction with educational opportunities that prepare future Division I players for a successful college career. College coaches will be allowed to attend for evaluation and recruiting purposes. Teams will be coached and taught by a collection of the best non-Division I college, professional and high school coaches in the country.

In addition to basketball skills instruction, players and their parents or guardians will participate in educational sessions about the academic eligibility process, health and wellness and other life-skills programming. 

Prospects can nominate themselves for consideration, or they can be nominated by their high school federations or by college coaches. Participants will be selected by a committee of NCAA and NABC members in May 2019. 

Smattering of reaction:

Brian Snow:  If this was in a brochure for a camp, and a prospect's parent asked me if they should do it. When I got done laughing, I'd say "Heck no. That isnt a camp it is a scam"

Eric Bossi: Not to mention coaches will see off the radar player they don’t want people to know about and be like “I think he’s a stretch for camp”

Evan Daniels:   My issue with this revamped schedule is it doesn't even solve the problems they sought to solve. It doesn't address them. Change for the sake of change, not for betterment. I guess that's what you get when the leader of the committee has never been to a meaningful AAU event.   Remember it's the same time as the big USA Basketball camp, which will be in Colorado Springs.

Rabjohns:  The NCAA has created a mess of confusion for the people it is claiming to try to help the most - the HS players.