Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IUFB_Hoosiers

OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Indiana vs Navy

Lets see what the community thinks about the Hoosiers game on Saturday. Navy should provide a much bigger challenge than Indiana State, and the Hoosiers did lose to Navy last year.

What's your score prediction?

Also make sure your read the 5 Keys to Victory: Navy Edition.

https://btownbanners.com/page/index.html/_/football/pre-g/keys-to-knockin-off-navy-r42

Go Hoosiers!!

IU 46 Navy 20 If their QB's injury either keeps him out or limits the type of plays they call, they might not be able to control the clock like they want. With their best CB out, Nate might be able to light them up.

My Notes From The Game:

- 1. Roberson wasted the first two possessions.
     - 2. Sudfeld is a beast. He only made one mistake, and the number of bad throws by him was very small. His ability to escape pressure, extend plays and throw on the run is AMAZING (It might be stupid thinking, but he reminded me of Big Ben, just smaller of course.).
     - 3. Ted Bolser is looking like NFL material. I don’t see how he wouldn’t get drafted if he keeps this play up. He catches everything (well almost anyway…)!

- 4.a. The defense sucked (DUH)! However, I’m trying to figure out if it was more because of lack of talent, or lack of preparation for the option. 

- 4.b. Talent wise, IU couldn’t tackle, like at all. 
     -4.c. As far as prep goes, IU didn’t have any recent game-film of Navy, and often the Hoosiers’ D looked lost. Lost in the coaching aspect and playing aspect. As far as coaching goes, I’m dumbfounded by how on (almost) every 3rd and long, Navy ran the same option, but it looked like the DC for IU still had the players backed up allowing Navy space to gain 8+ yards every time, and get easy 4th and 3 (or less) opportunities. To me (and I was in the stands so it was hard to tell) it looked like the DC was just playing to conservatively on defense and should have used heavier run blitzes to get into the backfield more. 
     4.d. The players looked lost because they were constantly over-committing to one guy, a no-no against option offenses.

-5. There are 5 specific plays (along with every 3rd and 4th down that the IU defense played) that could have seriously swayed the outcome of this game in Indiana’s favor had they gone differently:

A. The turnover on downs on the 2nd Roberson possession.
B. Sudfeld’s INT — Those two plays put us in a terrible hole.
C. The “pass interference” that cost us a defensive stop. Bogus call in my opinion.
D. The onside kick had it been recovered by IU
E. The 4th down conversion at the end of the game by Navy

I could end up being very wrong with this, but I think that this will be the worst defensive performance IU will have all year. I think IU will play better against non-option offenses, because of the fact that non-option defenses are more predictable. Against “normal” offenses, IU should do better at determining where the ball is going (against the option the often could not tell, leading to the over-committing mentioned earlier). They will also be less likely to get screwed on 3rd and long by stupid runs, because for most teams, that is a passing down.

I’m still holding on to the hope that the Hoosiers will make a bowl game this year, due to the fact that the have 6 more home games, and should be better prepared in the rest of them. It also helps that Sudfeld really established himself as the best IU QB tonight, giving the Hoosiers some stability on offense.

GO HOOSIERS!!! PLAY 13!!!

My Notes From The Game:

- 1. Roberson wasted the first two possessions.

- 2. Sudfeld is a beast. He only made one mistake, and the number of bad throws by him was very small. His ability to escape pressure, extend plays and throw on the run is AMAZING (It might be stupid thinking, but he reminded me of Big Ben, just smaller of course.).

- 3. Ted Bolser is looking like NFL material. I don’t see how he wouldn’t get drafted if he keeps this play up. He catches everything (well almost anyway…)!

- 4.a. The defense sucked (DUH)! However, I’m trying to figure out if it was more because of lack of talent, or lack of preparation for the option.

- 4.b. Talent wise, IU couldn’t tackle, like at all.

-4.c. As far as prep goes, IU didn’t have any recent game-film of Navy, and often the Hoosiers’ D looked lost. Lost in the coaching aspect and playing aspect. As far as coaching goes, I’m dumbfounded by how on (almost) every 3rd and long, Navy ran the same option, but it looked like the DC for IU still had the players backed up allowing Navy space to gain 8+ yards every time, and get easy 4th and 3 (or less) opportunities. To me (and I was in the stands so it was hard to tell) it looked like the DC was just playing to conservatively on defense and should have used heavier run blitzes to get into the backfield more.

4.d. The players looked lost because they were constantly over-committing to one guy, a no-no against option offenses.

-5. There are 5 specific plays (along with every 3rd and 4th down that the IU defense played) that could have seriously swayed the outcome of this game in Indiana’s favor had they gone differently:

A. The turnover on downs on the 2nd Roberson possession.

B. Sudfeld’s INT — Those two plays put us in a terrible hole.

C. The “pass interference” that cost us a defensive stop. Bogus call in my opinion.

D. The onside kick had it been recovered by IU

E. The 4th down conversion at the end of the game by Navy

I could end up being very wrong with this, but I think that this will be the worst defensive performance IU will have all year. I think IU will play better against non-option offenses, because of the fact that non-option defenses are more predictable. Against “normal” offenses, IU should do better at determining where the ball is going (against the option the often could not tell, leading to the over-committing mentioned earlier). They will also be less likely to get screwed on 3rd and long by stupid runs, because for most teams, that is a passing down.

I’m still holding on to the hope that the Hoosiers will make a bowl game this year, due to the fact that the have 6 more home games, and should be better prepared in the rest of them. It also helps that Sudfeld really established himself as the best IU QB tonight, giving the Hoosiers some stability on offense.

GO HOOSIERS!!! PLAY 13!!!

love the write up. Sorry I missed this!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app