Jump to content

pumpfake

Senior Member
  • Posts

    2,738
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pumpfake

  1. It really is. The odds of success favor the hiring of a high profile winner. That was impossible for FB and (apparently) BB as well. A lot of hires flameout immediately, some after a couple of seasons, and a only a few end up being long term answers.
  2. Kind of funny. A year ago we were pointing to how UK & UL made such good hires without grabbing a "home run" name, yet a year later UK fans are ready to dump Pope and UL seems stuck in neutral. Somehow I suspect if CDD is going to get us where we want to be, it will take more than a couple more years (I believe Carr has said things to that effect).
  3. True. I'm pointing more toward fan and media reaction. Clearly, success or lack thereof has never had an immediate affect on how IU acts internally.
  4. The immediate success of McCollum & May would seem to ramp up the pressure on DeVries. Maybe a good thing - we'll see how he responds.
  5. Great time for a peeyoo T.O.
  6. Volkodsjs is AWFUL at the line.
  7. Breathing in close proximity to a PU player is now a foul...
  8. This year, I believe. But not so fast - the family dog "Massie" starts obedience classes in May.
  9. IMO it's unethical to accept a coaching job and then bolt after one year. Another reason I believe May had no interest here last year.
  10. That would be absolutely diabolical.
  11. Yes. Krshevski was given roles in national ads for years, that was a nice recruiting advantage for sure. Dang! Cigs could be perfect for funny ads, but he's too locked in for such things I'd figure.
  12. On one hand, I don't like "tearing up those records...", but seeing how others like UNC operated, I can see it. Brand & Herbert, Greenspan and the next guy - we were doomed.
  13. Yep. Bad hires have consequences. Winning championships takes a combination of many factors. We lost out on a big chance when Alan Henderson injured his knee, but that was a championship level team. We lost to Syracuse because they were a superb zone defensive team - I believe that was our Achilles heel, especially with Hulls hurt. We're now in a long drought of not being at the top level, but really have only been "bad" after Crean. Eight years of lousy coaching has dug a deep hole.
  14. What was "stupid" was the coach repeating the infraction he was already on probation for. Just pisspoor judgement, which extended to player selection and program discipline. Maybe he finally learned to walk a straight path (?). I wouldn't be shocked to learned he still does and allows questionable things at UH (he may be more careful or be at a place that turns a blind eye).
  15. Speaking personally, I'd say "fan enthusiasm". Winning and success are a large part of it, but few teams are championship level on a regular basis. Failing major success, fans like following players and familiarity. These days it takes a month into the season to be able to put name to face. Even before NIL, one and done players were similar. I can't say I know or give a single solitary damn about Romeo Langford, JHS, etc. after their cup of coffee at IU. I was happy they played here, but I have no loyalty toward them.(It's why it's so difficult to have split feelings about Q. Buckner). With money has come constant roster churning. Admittedly if we didn't make wholesale changes every year it'd be less of a problem for me.
  16. The above bolded is the key, IMO. It's Cig's secret power. I understand that CDD was late to shop the portal, but wasn't he and his staff at WV scouring & scouting it throughout last season? Some act as if he was dropped into the position out of thin air. Also, knowing Woodson was a lame duck, why didn't Dolson have someone on board to bridge the gap like Matta was supposed to have been or Carr is supposed to be? Feb/Mar last year was a clusterhump in retrospect.
  17. Yep. The whole situation was 100% on Sampson - not on IU for not covering it up. There are many factors in the disintegration of IU basketball and Sampson's cheating butt is but one of them.
  18. Debating who was the better coach (Miller, Woodson, DeVries) is "picking the fly crap out of the pepper"....
  19. Didn't the clock mysteriously "pause" during that final Iowa possession?
  20. I certainly think that's a major factor. For some time I've believed that it's easier for teams to force a slower, more physical pace given similar talent, so ccoaches have tended to prefer that style.
  21. I was underwhelmed when he was hired. I am no more whelmed now than I was then.
×
×
  • Create New...