Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

#11 Indiana v. #3 Kansas - Postgame Thread

what a victory for this ridiculously versatile, 'positionless' team crean has crafted.  after blowing 2 opportunities to close out the game and with bryant fouled out, i didnt think there was any way this young team would win the game in overtime vs a great, experienced kansas side with frank mason on fire.  but jbj kept making shot after shot (man, did we miss the sloppy janitor last year), jmo kept making hustle play after hustle play, and the freshman--my god.  first 'real' college game, the biggest game of their lives, vs kansas on espn, and they knock down pressure-packed 3s and free throws to put the game away like seniors.  missed free throws throughout the game by our veterans had me pulling my hair out, then the freshman step up to show them how it's done and ice the game.  love it.

major kudos to crean and staff for having the team ready to play.  perpaps most exciting about tonight is with rojo and newkirk not having a great game and og still raw offensively at this point, that certainly isnt the best this team can and will play come conference and dancin time.  to air out one critique: we need to post-up og more.  just because his shot is improved doesnt mean he should hang out on the perimeter looking for it.  his biggest strength is using his freakish athleticism and lower body to bully opponents at the rim.  he can draw a foul or get an easy lay-in any time he wants down there.

needed this after the calamity in columbus tonight.

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Here's a take on the game from someone that oughta know:

Alex Bozich Retweeted

This team now has way more talent than we did last year, watch out #iubb

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Whoa:

"Against what is likely to be one of the nation’s best defenses, Indiana scored 1.17 points per possession and posted a 54.2 effective field goal percentage."

and if wasnt excited enough... wow

OG had a "meh" game in some people's eyes. He went for 13 points on 3-7 shooting... Added 7 rebounds too. If JBJ (26 points) and Bryant (19 points) are being featured like tonight then OG and JMo can do their thing.

This team can be stupid good with a core of JBJ, Bryant, and OG. If you try to takeaway JBJ then you have OG and Bryant with JMo doing the dirty work. Take away OG there's Bryant and JBJ. I think there is enough star power between the three and a deep enough second tier of JMo, CuJo, and RoJo that opponents will wear down. Newkirk, Davis, and eventually Green will be plenty as a supporting cast. This team could be extremely deep.

I have so many "favorite" players on this team.

Not just because we won either.

I've been saying for a while how much I like this team.

Morgan-most underrated player I've seen. Love this kid. So, so smart.

Super versatile.

Newkirk shows some good but I'm not fully sold. Some glimmers of his potential.
McSwain is a major project but playing Kansas in your first ever D1 college game. That is crazy.

Davis, Cujo, Green all are exciting freshmen.

Great night to be a Hoosier!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I have so many "favorite" players on this team.

Not just because we won either.

I've been saying for a while how much I like this team.

Morgan-most underrated player I've seen. Love this kid. So, so smart.

Super versatile.

Newkirk shows some good but I'm not fully sold. Some glimmers of his potential.
McSwain is a major project but playing Kansas in your first ever D1 college game. That is crazy.

Davis, Cujo, Green all are exciting freshmen.

Great night to be a Hoosier!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

problem with this is he's already a Junior. Not sure he'll ever contribute much. 

2 hours ago, drock161 said:

More than a little dirt to clean up, but this is clearly a very talented team that loves to play, loves their teammates and coaches, and loves to win. What a fun season this will be!

This is pretty much how I feel.  Curtis Jones.....no fear and wants the ball.  He's going to be really good.  I felt the same way about AJ Guyton after his first game against UConn in Indy many years ago.   We are a very good rebounding team.   Lots to clean up.  18 TO's and 15 assists isn't good.  Our defense on the ball was beyond awful. Thought we fell in love with the 3 point shot early   Can't give the other team 38 FT's.  Ever.    But, we're deep, we're active, and we're very talented.    And we just beat perhaps the best team in the country, and definitely one of the best defensive back courts around.   We're good.  Gonna' be a fun year.

Great team win. A+ effort all around. TB has a motor and was running the floor. OG is going to have a special year. The frosh played with poise and confidence. Gave up way to many layups, we made Mason look like D Wade. Morgan had a fantastic game, and jimmy buckets looked like well, jimmy buckets. Newkirk was a little off but I feel comfortable when he handles the ball, dude is yoked. He will be good. I can't wait to get UNC in Assembly Hall. Go Hoosiers!

6 hours ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

Unfortunately it looked like the refs were trying to make up for that call the rest of the game for Kansas. That last Thomas Bryant foul was horrible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And most of the fouls against Mason at the end of he game.  I mean seriously those were a bunch of ticky tacky minor contact fouls.

What a game.. What a win. I honestly thought we would get blown out based on what Crean has been saying in pre-season. Some thoughts after tonights game. 

-James Blackmon is ready. Wow.. He pulled off some big shots, he was obviously our go to player. Even his defense looked a little better. It's great knowing we have a go to scorer and any moment. 

-OG is a top 10 pick. It's amazing to see how much he has developed since his first day here at Indiana University. Yes he didn't shoot the ball the greatest and he had a couple turnovers, but you can see how much potential he has. I'm expecting some big things from here this year.

-Bryant being Bryant. I'm glad to see he's shooting the three with more confidence. 

-Josh forced a couple shots, but he provides great ball movement. 

-THE KIDS! CUJO AND GREEN. Played some great minutes.. they were not afraid at all of the big moments down the stretch. I'm expecting them to have some great careers here at IU. Where does Crean find these kids?!

-Morgan playing Point- Forward. I love it, Morgan reminds me of Julius Randle on the lakers. Not afraid to push the ball and Crean trusts his handling. Morgan did all the little things tonight and thats just terrific, every team needs one of those. 

My only complaints (after one game haha) 

-Lack of communication on switches and defensive rotations at times

-Free Throws!!!!!!!

-Rotations. Some of Crean's rotations at the end of the game had me scratching my head, but hey, it worked. He trusts his freshman and he loves to go small. 

Might be our most athletic and deepest team at IU in the Crean era. Just imagine if we had Collin... let alone Yogi...