Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lucel15

Nebraska's DC Mark Banker

Short and sweet.

So during his presser.....

Mr. Banker (aka dingleberry for nicer terms). Has said that "Coaching is a tight fraternity"....."word gets around". This is about IU stealing defensive signals.

With that said is this said dingleberry trying to stir the pot?

Also said "doing whatever they can do"

So yeah. I'm ready for game day and to whoop some cornhusker butt.

What is absolutely crazy about this, is that you could maybe argue it the last couple of years, when we led a lot of the offensive statistics in the B1G  Hard to do that this year, when our offense's best statistical ranking is about 4th in the conference.  The offense has not shown the ability to really bust the big play like we have in the past; so if we are stealing the signals and know what the defense is going to do, then our offense really sucks!

Signal stealing is something that goes on everywhere. Every staff has guys looking across the field to see if they can pick up on anything from the other sidelines. It's why offenses go to great lengths to disguise and mislead with intricate signs and signaling systems. Always been surprised that defenses haven't gone that route yet.

EDIT: I have no idea if IU does, but it's just something that's not that uncommon, and in my opinion is fair game unless you are using technology to try to steal them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Berghoosier said:

Signal stealing is something that goes on everywhere. Every staff has guys looking across the field to see if they can pick up on anything from the other sidelines. It's why offenses go to great lengths to disguise and mislead with intricate signs and signaling systems. Always been surprised that defenses haven't gone that route yet.

EDIT: I have no idea if IU does, but it's just something that's not that uncommon, and in my opinion is fair game unless you are using technology to try to steal them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This.  Stealing signals isn't something unusual, and it's been happening for decades.  John Madden and Jimmie Johnson both admitted they knew coaches were doing it when they were coaching, Cam Cameron admitted to doing it.  Howard Mudd was known as the best signal stealer in the NFL.  There's a reason you see coordinators cover their mouths with their playsheet, it's so people can't read their lips.

Not saying IU does steal signals, but I would be absolutely floored if it's not happening at the collegiate level because the staffs are paid a lot of money to win games.  

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/how-nebraska-plans-on-dealing-with-indiana-stealing-defensive-signals

Article with quotes to put everything into perspective.

Banker sounds like a sore loser.

“I think the QB does a great job at understanding what it is that’s being called and how to get the ball run to the right, run to the left, or if it’s a pass where to throw the ball because he understands the coverage and the play that it goes with,” Banker said.

That's called reading a defense. Do a better job of masking your defense!

NFL defenses tried to steal Peyton Manning's signals for years. NFL teams will sign players off of an opponents practice squad to get signals and tendencies. It's part of the game!

This happens all over sports. Watch some of IUs basketball games last year you see yogi looking over at the opposing coach then calling out their plays. In golf you watch a players line on putts. In football you try to get a read on the play call.