Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Beachfront Property

OG Anunoby #1 Draft Prospect in Big Ten

17 minutes ago, Beachfront Property said:

Draft Express ranks OG as the #1 prospect in the Big 10.

I consider the NBA mock draft websites to be a complete joke - especially this time of year. However, the person who put together these videos of OG did a tremendous job. It looks like they went through every minute he played last year. Lots of highlights in the Stengths video and lots of things to work on in the Weaknesses video. I tend to agree with the strengths and weaknesses of OG's game, but I am very optimistic he can improve on the weaknesses. One of the weaknesses he notes and shows several examples of is poor lower body technique on his jump shot. Hopefully the Shot Dr. has been working with him in the offseason.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-NBA-Prospects-in-the-Big-Ten-Part-1-OG-Anunoby-Scouting-Video-5688

Mike Schmitz does terrific work. For anyone unfamiliar with him I highly recommend as regular reading/viewing.

Mike Schmitz does terrific work. For anyone unfamiliar with him I highly recommend as regular reading/viewing.

Agreed! The guys at DraftExpress and The Vertical are absolute pros. Doesn't get much better than them. And if we are talking about respect amongst peers, NBA GM's, scouts, & coaches, these guys are at the top of the list.

I'm a huge draft nerd and DX is the #1 place to go for info easily. Their breakdowns are on point, and I think they did perfect with OG. Hopefully he can prove this year that the shooting numbers were no fluke. I'm never really expecting him to be a big time creator, although improving his handle is very realistic and would do wonders to his game.

Totally agree, if you check the guys out at Draft Express, they put many nice, in depth videos out on College ballers. I'm a Mock Draft nerd, and I've seen many of their videos, and they're typically very thourough and much more than just a highlight reel.

51 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

From a soon to be published Rick Bozich pre-season basketball preview:

8. The OG Report

I just finished a 2,200-word story on Indiana forward OG Anunoby that will run in the college basketball preview edition of Basketball Times. I’m not going to scoop myself, but I will share one anecdote from Anunoby’s father, OG Sr.

Anunoby was one of the lowest rated recruits in the Big Ten last season (No. 280 composite by 247Sports), but he did take at least two other official recruiting trips before visiting IU. 

On one trip (Mr. Anunoby declined to identify the school), the players in that program and Anunoby moved into the coach’s yard for a game of baseball. Anunoby said that his son threw the ball so well that the basketball coach told him that if that school’s baseball coach ever saw OG throw a baseball he’d steal him for his team. 

Dad was not surprised. He thought OG’s best game was baseball. Anunoby excelled as a pitcher and center fielder through the ninth grade. Then he gave up football, baseball and track to concentrate on hoops.

I think he made the right decision. 

OG is gonna do big things this year!! During the live practice he looked a lot more fluid. I know some will say it was practice, but all I was looking for from him was to see how comfortable he looked and if his shot was improved. He made a lot of plays at the rim during 5-5. During shooting drills he looked very fluid. Juwan Morgan looked very good too I expect them two to take huge strides this year. Everyone expects it outta OG, but Juwan is gonna impress scouts and get on the radar this year. Not saying he's a draft pick already but by the end of this year and a big year next year I don't see why not. He is the perfect stretch 4 in the NBA right now. 

5 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

OG is gonna do big things this year!! During the live practice he looked a lot more fluid. I know some will say it was practice, but all I was looking for from him was to see how comfortable he looked and if his shot was improved. He made a lot of plays at the rim during 5-5. During shooting drills he looked very fluid. Juwan Morgan looked very good too I expect them two to take huge strides this year. Everyone expects it outta OG, but Juwan is gonna impress scouts and get on the radar this year. Not saying he's a draft pick already but by the end of this year and a big year next year I don't see why not. He is the perfect stretch 4 in the NBA right now. 

I just don't think Juwan will get the necessary shots per game to leave for the draft early. You have to think Bryant, OG, and Blackmon will all be ahead of him, RoJo probably as well. I agree though I think Morgan will be a nice player, and he's a perfect stretch 4/small ball 5 for Crean's system. He is definitely one of the more underrated players we have on the team.

1 minute ago, Crean'sTheMan said:

I just don't think Juwan will get the necessary shots per game to leave for the draft early. You have to think Bryant, OG, and Blackmon will all be ahead of him, RoJo probably as well. I agree though I think Morgan will be a nice player, and he's a perfect stretch 4/small ball 5 for Crean's system. He is definitely one of the more underrated players we have on the team.

I agree I should have rephrased that. I think after his junior year he will be on boards for his senior season, which then he should be one of the top 3 options. Things can change and injuries will be a big key in all of it as well. I don't think he will have the opportunity to leave early for the league but after his senior year he will have a good shot. Not many will agree with me on this but I have a good feeling about him if he can keep the shoulder in place lol.

Being from Maryland, I'm going to throw out a comparison for OG. Let me know what you think.

Len Bias

Like OG, Bias was an elite raw athlete who was a late bloomer. Bias was a powerful, long limbed 6'9" 210 pounds. OG is listed at a similar 6'8" 215 pounds.

As a kid I remember seeing highlights of Bias exploding flat flooted off of two feet for thunderous dunks, if he was anywhere near the basket. Didn't matter how many guys were draped on him. OG has that similar two foot explosiveness.

Many wings in the NBA are one foot jumpers. Give them a head of steam toward the basket and they'll dunk over anyone. However, it's rare to see guys who can explode right back up after grabbing a rebound near/under the basket flat footed for a dunk. Dominique Wilkins, Len Bias and Blake Griffin are guys that I think of off the top of my head.

Bias was a raw shooter early in his career, and had a slower release, but had sound form and a high release point. Left open for a long two and he knocked it down. Similar to OG. Bias couldn't create his own shot early in his career but eventually learned to do so.

I see OG's game so far developing similar to how Bias's did. I can't wait to see OG this season!