Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Indiana defeats MSU! Postgame Thread

I don't think the negativity for Lagow is fair either. There's no denying it, he had a rough first half going into the third quarter. But I am very impressed with how the kid rebounded and finished the game strong. I also don't think people realize how difficult of an over the shoulder catch Lagow made on his receiving TD. Lagow's second half is a major reason we won the game. No other QB on our roster could have won us that game IMO.

Lagow is pretty much what he was hyped to be. Extremely good arm talent and decent athlete but he has poor mechanics which leads to poor accuracy. We knew all of this going into the season.

Lagow's sustained success is going to depend on how quickly he can master the playbook and feel comfortable with the pre-snap adjustments. Also, Lagow needs to show he can shake off a bad INT. He did an excellent job of rebounding in the second half this week, but we can't afford to have one or two INTs tumble into five, or have three quarter long cold streaks.

I think Lagow is right where we want him to be progress wise. If he continues to improve he'll be a top five B1G QB by the end of the season IMO.

8 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

- Really annoyed at how some conference media members, and even some IU media guys, reacted to the victory. Saying things like "IU 24, MSU 21. Yes, you read that correctly." As mentioned above, we've been competitive for awhile now. Don't be a wise guy. Is it an upset? Yes. But we were only a touchdown underdog. It's not unbelievable. Act like a credible journalist who gets paid to do that for a living.

I think that has to do more with the fact that we finally actually finished a team off. We've competed with the big boys many times throughout the past decade but never could find a way to finish. Saturday night we finally did that.

4 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I may be misremembering but while Suds had some great stretches he has some slides/down stretches too right.

This is definitely true. I always remember Sudfeld having consistency issues really all the way until he returned after missing the PSU game last season when he took over and willed us to a bowl game.

The true irony of the Lagow criticism is that he has a higher completion percentage right now than Nate did for any season.

Lagow definitely has room to improve, and a few of the INT's have looked ugly, but he has had to shoulder a much larger burden than anticipated this early with the injuries up front (not to mention the fact that he hasn't had the luxury of Simmie Cobbs at all this season) and here we are at 3-1 with a victory over Sparty, he has completed over 62% of his passes, thrown for over 1200 yards and has accounted for 11 touchdowns. For a guy 4 games into D-1 competition, I'll take it.

The difference between Suds and Lagow: Suds had much better football awareness. Suds may not have been accurate but he didn't make dumb throws or throw many INTs. Suds also knew CKW's playbook like the back of his hand. It was like having an offensive coordinator on the field. Suds mechanics were much better than Lagow's but it seemed like Suds was always hurt which affected his accuracy.

May be a little unfair to judge Lagow so early given he's only been with us since the winter and still learning the playbook. This is what makes Lagow's potential so exciting, if he can put it together mentally by season's end he will be a great QB and we will be a scary good team with awesome prospects for next season.

At the same time, if we are locked in a tight game and Lagow is ice cold throwing picks, I have no problem throwing Zander in there for a possession or two to shake things up and energize our offense. Lagow gives us the best chance to win by far though and we need to stick with him otherwise.

12 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

There is no thread yet for OSU. But hey guys.... We are a top 30 total D. 28th overall. Best OSU faced has been Tulsa. Let's go. Also we are statistically best oline in BIG Ten, based on QB getting hurried

Shocking considering the time both Feeney and Camiel have missed.

Also. Vegas not giving our boys a shot. OSU -29 today. All I have to say is look at the next two games #2 OSU and #12 NEB we win those two and men... We are top 20 with a fluke loss to Wake

Win? I would say keep it respectable on the road against O$U and pull the upset vs. Neb and we have something.

15 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Also. Vegas not giving our boys a shot. OSU -29 today. All I have to say is look at the next two games #2 OSU and #12 NEB we win those two and men... We are top 20 with a fluke loss to Wake

That's because we have no shot. If we keep it within 2 touchdowns or less, I'll be happy. 

That's because we have no shot. If we keep it within 2 touchdowns or less, I'll be happy. 

I guess I'm upset because we are getting no respect. Opened yesterday at 32pt underdog. That was the biggest spread for all games.

I'm watching the condensed game right now. On the LONG TD bomb from MSU in the first quarter Ben Bach looked like a JV player. He got absolutely torched. Not sure where the safety help was on the play, but still got smoked.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Natee was also very impressive. He had about 25 yards rushing called back because of holding calls on one drive. Pretty solid in pass protection too. The kid is fairly nimble for 270

1 hour ago, bhaggard89 said:

Natee was also very impressive. He had about 25 yards rushing called back because of holding calls on one drive. Pretty solid in pass protection too. The kid is fairly nimble for 270

Need more Natee, he was a force

3 hours ago, akhosrof said:

The difference between Suds and Lagow: Suds had much better football awareness. Suds may not have been accurate but he didn't make dumb throws or throw many INTs. Suds also knew CKW's playbook like the back of his hand. It was like having an offensive coordinator on the field. Suds mechanics were much better than Lagow's but it seemed like Suds was always hurt which affected his accuracy.

May be a little unfair to judge Lagow so early given he's only been with us since the winter and still learning the playbook. This is what makes Lagow's potential so exciting, if he can put it together mentally by season's end he will be a great QB and we will be a scary good team with awesome prospects for next season.

At the same time, if we are locked in a tight game and Lagow is ice cold throwing picks, I have no problem throwing Zander in there for a possession or two to shake things up and energize our offense. Lagow gives us the best chance to win by far though and we need to stick with him otherwise.

I've been as critical of Lagow as anyone probably, but at least he can throw the ball.  Why are some so enamored with Diamont?  Putting him in the game is, for all intents and purposes, telling the defense to forget about the pass because he can't throw at all.

If he was the only other option I'd stick with Lagow every time.

I've been as critical of Lagow as anyone probably, but at least he can throw the ball.  Why are some so enamored with Diamont?  Putting him in the game is, for all intents and purposes, telling the defense to forget about the pass because he can't throw at all.

If he was the only other option I'd stick with Lagow every time.

I was merely stating I see both sides of the argument. I see the side of the argument of if a guy is ice cold and the game is close, a change has to be made to give the team a chance to win. Whether that's Diamont or Cameron, it's not a great option, but it's a better option than a guy who's confidence is shot.

I think Lagow let emotions get the best of him against Wake as the INTs piled up and it clouded his decision making and focus on accuracy. Luckily Lagow this past week showed mental toughness and did an excellent job of rebounding from a poor first half. That was a very positive sign in his development.