Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Indiana defeats MSU! Postgame Thread

I realize Lagow has had some really bad mistakes, but I really don't understand why people are being so absurdly harsh on him. He's 16th in the nation in yards per game, 21st in efficiency, on pace for like 4,000 yards, and has his completion % over 60%. Nate topped out at around 60%, so I don't really understand this narrative of Lagow being so horribly inaccurate.

The big issue with the entire offense is bogging down in the red zone.

Also, that TD pass to Paige was perfect. Watch the BTN highlights. It was just over the near DB's fingers and if he threw it much further, there were defenders waiting in the end zone. It would've been a replay of earlier in the game. He threw it right to Paige and he walked into the end zone.

I realize Lagow has had some really bad mistakes, but I really don't understand why people are being so absurdly harsh on him. He's 16th in the nation in yards per game, 21st in efficiency, on pace for like 4,000 yards, and has his completion % over 60%. Nate topped out at around 60%, so I don't really understand this narrative of Lagow being so horribly inaccurate.

I'm just reposting this because I hate the negativity towards Lagow.

2 hours ago, RBB89 said:

The guy can throw, and he's definitely got a cannon. But from what I've seen he has very little touch. He overthrows his receivers a lot and most times it's not even close. He also has had several instances where there's an easy dump off pass (usually to the back) and he either launches it at them like a rocket or completely misses the throw. There was one during last night's game and I was just flabbergasted at how bad of a throw it was. it was an easy throw out to a wide open back in the flat and he just launches it way over his head like it was shot out of a cannon. I understand we were spoiled with Sud and I don't have those expectations for Lagow. He's had a solid season so far, but I definitely feel like he has accuracy issues. Very inconsistent. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, RBB89 said:

Also, that TD pass to Paige was perfect. Watch the BTN highlights. It was just over the near DB's fingers and if he threw it much further, there were defenders waiting in the end zone. It would've been a replay of earlier in the game. He threw it right to Paige and he walked into the end zone.

Was it not tipped? Everyone in the crowd thought it was tipped by the MSU defender.

Guys cmon, Lagow gives the best shot at winning games. Think about what you're asking for- Danny Cameron. Really? Really? Lagow will eventually learn better ball placement for his receivers, but I think he did a fine job against MSU. That TD to Paige was excellent touch, he dropped it in over a DB with Paige surrounded by two more defenders and the sideline, not to mention he took a shot to the ribs from Malik McDowell.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some people come around when there are opportunities to be negative and then disappear when that reason is gone...

While that may be true to a certain extent, I don't think it's wrong to call attention to Lagow or any other players mistakes.

During the game, many were very frustrated by what they saw through three quarters and this was following a 5 INT game. We still don't know Lagow well and everyone hopes that he is going to grow into to the system as the season rolls on, but when you see CKW asking him what the call is, it tends to make people a little...... nervous. It's a long season ahead so he's got some time, but he should be getting better each and every week.

I trust the staff completely to make the best decisions they can, put the right players out there and get the most out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We may have beat the #17 team in the country, but some things never change. The Hoosier Faithful must have something to complain about! :)

Only poking fun, but how nice is it that we're complaining about the talent of our quarterback who just beat a ranked MSU? 

We may have beat the #17 team in the country, but some things never change. The Hoosier Faithful must have something to complain about! :)

Only poking fun, but how nice is it that we're complaining about the talent of our quarterback and still beat a ranked MSU? 

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Late to the party once-again, but what else is new... here's a few of my thoughts...

- A win vs. Michigan State is very good for the program. All we ever hear about is how daunting the Big Ten East is and how it will be difficult for us to be competitive. Well, we just knocked off one of the big boys. And we very nearly knocked off Ohio State and Michigan last year. We're competing with the best, whether the drive-by sports media acknowledges it or not (more on that in a minute.)

- RBB89 said it above, but I wish people would cut Lagow a bit of slack. No, he's not all-conference and he has plenty to improve upon. But have you looked at the QB play elsewhere around the league? You've got JT Barrett, Wilton Speight, Tommy Armstrong... but then who? Lagow is right there in the middle of the pack. Which is where we said he needed to be for us to have some success this year. Yes, he needs to cut down his interceptions and find ways to get TDs when in the red zone. But the guy has thrown some really nice passes in his four games as a Hoosier and led us to victory over a ranked opponent. He deserves some slack. And some appreciation for what he HAS done.

- The O-Line adapted much better to the absence of Feeney and Camiel in this game. 156 yards rushing isn't fantastic, but it was solid against a pretty stout MSU D-Line. Much better effort than last week. Plus, they didn't allow a sack. Kudos to Cronk and Knight at the Tackle positions. If we can just get Feeney back, I think we'll be rolling once again...

- The defense was all kinds of solid. From my perspective, they played with more purpose and fight than what we saw in the Wake Forest game. Only allowed 438 yards total. Not bad. I was disappointed that they couldn't hold MSU off at the end of regulation, but they more than made up for it in overtime. Those two sacks pretty much won the game for us.

- Tyler Natee. Really like what he brings to the table. Fits more of the Jordan Howard style of running... interested to see how his role develops in the coming weeks. I'd like to see him as our RB2 at the moment.

- Really annoyed at how some conference media members, and even some IU media guys, reacted to the victory. Saying things like "IU 24, MSU 21. Yes, you read that correctly." As mentioned above, we've been competitive for awhile now. Don't be a wise guy. Is it an upset? Yes. But we were only a touchdown underdog. It's not unbelievable. Act like a credible journalist who gets paid to do that for a living.

- Odds and ends... Ricky Jones has really busted out of his slump and become a productive senior leader on the field... Luke Timian made a spectacular catch late in the game and is quietly becoming another offensive threat for us... Devine Redding finally busted loose on a run and finished with 100 yards, which was a nice outing in the end... Tegray Scales had 14 tackles (1.5 for loss) which is exactly what we need for us to keep moving forward on defense... Michigan State is going to lose some more games this year. They're not bad, but they look a lot more like a 7-5 or 8-4 team than one that is ranked...

The biggest concern for me is Wilson screaming at Lagow "What's the call, what's the call?!" during that timeout in the second half.  That indicates Lagow is either not picking up the call from the sideline or not understanding the call.  He had a few bad throws through three quarters.  I was upset with the overthrow of Paige on the wheel route but that was a heck of a play by the MSU DB. 

CKW made several calls that baffled me.  On the opening drive he decided not to go for it on 4th and short.  Oakes missed a few kicks but he should have had the opportunity to kick the short one down on the goal line.  We have a defense that can stop people sometimes.  We need to get points when we can, not have our 270 pound RB throwing a pass to our TE on a roll out.  That was bizarre. 

Glad IU got the win and hopefully this gets students excited about football.  Student tickets are cheap and it's actually a great time at the games.  Learn to sneak in some alcohol and keep the buzz going throughout the game! 

IU is halfway to a bowl game just 1/3 of the way into the season with some very winnable games coming up.  Let's get it!

I'll always like a comment that encourages the sneaking in of alcohol to keep a buzz going.....always.

I'll always like a comment that encourages the sneaking in of alcohol to keep a buzz going.....always.

I did it every game. A friend and o thought we were awesome by putting vodka in double baggies but they leaked before we made it in. Decided to chug it along with the pitcher of sangria we carried across campus.

The best is small Gatorade bottles full of your favorite liquor. I wore long pants with long socks, it's a perfect place to carry your liquor. Once in I mixed it with some Sprite and sipped on it throughout the first half to keep my buzz going. Usually after getting a turkey leg at half I chugged the rest to be in a pretty numb state for the terrible second half. Good times ya'll!!

I may be misremembering but while Suds had some great stretches he has some slides/down stretches too right.

I remember him missing some RBs coming out of the backfield too or missing on the WE screens. It happens Suds was a better QB but Lagow has only played 4 games with 1 huge win!