Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) C Jacob Epperson to Creighton

Committed 3/16/17.

An Aussie playing @ La Lumiere this year on the radar per Rabby. IU, along with a ton of other schools attending this week.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/09/meet_jacob_epperson_michigan_s.html

Things have come quickly for Jacob Epperson, including interest from Michigan State.

The 18-year-old Australian was entirely unknown in college basketball recruiting circles just a few months ago. Now he's considering the likes of Texas, Marquette, Utah and Toledo.

MSU is also on that list and a scholarship offer is likely coming soon.

"The interest is mutual," Epperson said.

A 6-foot-11, 190-pound stretch forward, Epperson has gone from foreign import to a four-star prospect in two months. Out of nowhere, he's now ranked as the No. 58 player in the 2017 class by Scout.com.

Epperson, a Melbourne native, came to the U.S. in the middle of July, planning only to play the second half of the AAU schedule, which coincides with the second July evaluation period, to see if he could snag some attention from college coaches. At the time, he was considering spending his senior year of high school in the states, but the notion was hypothetical.

Then Epperson took the floor.

Though thin and lacking strength, he showed strong natural instincts, good hands and a developing skillset. By the time Epperson got to the NY2LA Summer Jam in Wisconsin, playing for AUSA Hoops, coaches from high-major programs were lining up to see him.

"A lot has happened," Epperson said. "In Australia, you get basically no exposure at all."

Because of that, Epperson had no idea his stock would explode once arriving in the states.

"I thought I was an alright player and my dad thought I was good, but really, I had no idea," he said.

With word out of his talent, Epperson was invited to spend 2016-17 at La Lumiere School in La Porte, Indiana. He jumped at the chance, returned to Australia for two weeks, packed his bags and moved.

Now he's part of one of the most talent-laden high school rosters in the country, including Michigan State commit Jaren Jackson Jr., and fellow MSU recruits Brian Bowen and Tyger Campbell. The proximity to such talent has only added to the interest building around Epperson.

A little over a week ago, Michigan coach John Beilein, Maryland's Mark Turgeon, Purdue's Matt Painter, N.C State's Mark Gottfried, Creighton's Greg McDermott, Notre Dame's Mike Brey and all three Michigan State assistants were all at La Lumiere on the same afternoon recruiting various players. By proximity, they all got a look at Epperson. 

A recruiting crossroad for Michigan State and Michigan exists in the most unlikely place
A recruiting crossroad for Michigan State and Michigan exists in the most unlikely place
A secluded and subtle elite private school in northeast Indiana has Tom Izzo and John Beilein's full attention.

Last Thursday, despite Epperson sitting out a scrimmage with a sore knee, he sat alongside Illinois coach John Groce for nearly an hour on the sideline.

This week, La Lumiere is hosting a massive invite-only showcase on-campus. As many as 40 DI coaches might attend. Big names like Sean Miller will be there. Izzo and Beilein will be, too.

"It's crazy," Epperson said. "There are so many coaches coming in every day. It's a lot to take in, especially with the short period of time I've had to get to know all the coaches and the schools."

Michigan State first reached out to Epperson in early September. While he's spoken to Izzo over the phone, assistant coach Dane Fife has been the point man in the early recruitment.

Once Izzo sees Epperson in person -- perhaps at this week's showcase -- the Spartans could extend an offer.

"(Izzo) has to be able to see me play before he gives me an offer, which I think is fair," Epperson said. "He has to see if I'm right for his team."

About 35 years ago, Toledo was the fit for Ken Epperson. Jacob's father, a Lousiville native, played for the Rockets from 1981-85 and remains the program's all-time leader in points (2,016), rebounds (960), career field goals (786) and career field-goal attempts (1,415).

Ken Epperson played in the National Basketball League, the Austrailian professional league, for years and ultimately raised his family there.

Jacob Epperson, meanwhile, is still adjusting to life in the states and now taking his own basketball career much more seriously. Step one is adding weight, which is proving difficult.

"It just disappears," he said.

With only one year of high school basketball to prove himself, Epperson said he'll wait until after this season to choose a college. He said he's looking for a program that's had success developing big men and that will offer minutes in the rotation.

"I'm looking for the college that can develop me into the best player I can be and reach the best level," Epperson said. "I want to play. I don't want to go to a team where I'm going to sit on the bench."

Am I wrong in thinking that we don't have a good relationship with La Lumiere? 
Tons of talented kids playing up there and it seems like the staff isnt really even offering scholarships to kids playing there

Jaren Jackson Jr., Jacob Epperson, and Brian Bowen all with offers this year. I believe the staff has at least watched, maybe offered, 2019 Tyger Cambell as well.

Haven't seen anything that suggests we're pursuing him and we're not mentioned in the following.

Jacob Epperson a legitimate high major option in 2017

There aren't many legitimate options left for high major programs in the class of 2017, 6-foot-11 Jacob Epperson is one of them.  A native of Australia who plays at La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere, Epperson is a skinny center with athleticism, skill and long term upside. Among those in the hunt are Creighton, Toledo (where his father starred), Illinois, Purdue and Utah.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Epperson discussed the high major programs that are in pursuit.

Creighton: “I like what they have done so far with Justin Patton, he is somewhat like me. They redshirted him for one year and now he is looking at the Draft.”

Illinois: “I haven’t really watched them too much but I like how they get up and down the floor, it’s sort of my style of game.”

Utah: “I like the way they use their bigs and try to get the ball inside.”

Purdue: “The way they get the ball inside.” (On his visit) “It was great. It was the second school I have been to. They’re facilities are great.”

WHAT'S NEXT?

Epperson has visited just two schools since coming across the ocean in the fall as he has unofficially been to Illinois and Purdue. Things are still far from a college decision, something that he spoke further on. “I don’t know yet but somewhat at the end of the signing period; sometime around then,” said Epperson about when he will decide.

RIVALS' REACTION

While strength gain is in order for Jacob Epperson, his passing skills, motor, and touch from 15-feet and in have made the Australian import a fine late target for the high-major rung. We value his ability to get up and down the floor and could see the La Lumiere product becoming a solid high-post frontcourt weapon in the years ahead as it seems as if the likes of Creighton and Illinois are right up there with him.

Committed 3/16/17.
An Aussie playing @ La Lumiere this year on the radar per Rabby. IU, along with a ton of other schools attending this week.

6'11/210

AAU: AUSA Hoops

Scout

Rivals

ESPN

Videos:

Good update --glad he is not going to be a Boiler.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 3/16/2017 at 9:09 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jacob Epperson just verbally committed to Creighton. "I just thought it was the best fit for me."

Creighton would seem to make a lot of sense for a kid like him. McD does a good job with big kids, you get to play in the Big East, and yet there's probably an opportunity for early minutes that wouldn't be there at some Big Ten level programs (he needs to add a lot of weight/strength IMO, having seen him a couple of times now).

Edited by VeevlandBrowns