Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) PF Billy Preston to Kansas

Beyond frustrated with our recruiting plan, efforts, and results.

I think the results have been great. We have players over the last few classes that aren't the star power or hometown that some want, but we have great players on this team that runs 9 or 10 deep. We're a frontrunner for a 3rd B1G title in four years.

I guess I just don't understand people getting so worked up about recruiting.

Tom Crean has to be wondering what the hell he has to do for the top 20 guys to continually come to Indiana easier every year.

He develops talent, IU has resources just as good as anywhere else, newly-renovated Assembly Hall, great program prestige, recent NBA Draft success, basketball-crazy school.  Seriously, I wonder what is going on too.  Having to take a flier on unranked kids every year is concerning, because it should be easier than this to get top talent more regularly.

I don't think Tom Crean is wondering what he has to do to get top 20 recruits. I think he obviously knows but isn't willing to go that route. Izzo said several years ago that only 20% of the top 20(?) was clean. That leaves very little to land.

I think the results have been great. We have players over the last few classes that aren't the star power or hometown that some want, but we have great players on this team that runs 9 or 10 deep. We're a frontrunner for a 3rd B1G title in four years.

I guess I just don't understand people getting so worked up about recruiting.

Third in four years or five years..?

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Third in four years or five years..?

Whoops, you're right.  Looking for the 3rd in 5 years with great players.  I'm ok with the results of the recruiting so far.  Next year's class isn't done yet either.  

Whoops, you're right.  Looking for the 3rd in 5 years with great players.  I'm ok with the results of the recruiting so far.  Next year's class isn't done yet either.  

3/5 is great, if we get it and even better if it's another outright. Need a deep run in the tourney too. I think right now a Final Four and/or a fee Elite Eights would definitely help. Sean Miller recruits at an elite level with only Elite Eights at Zona.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

3/5 is great, if we get it and even better if it's another outright. Need a deep run in the tourney too. I think right now a Final Four and/or a fee Elite Eights would definitely help. Sean Miller recruits at an elite level with only Elite Eights at Zona.

Truth.  We need better tournament results...both B1G and NCAA.  No doubt.  That'll "fix" recruiting too.  But the players we have?  I wouldn't trade the core of this group for any other recruit no matter what their star ranking or hometown is.

People are acting like our success wasn't built with 5 stars. We had 2 5 stars on both our big ten title teams. 

Next years will have none. This pretending like Crean has done it without talent just because he's found a few diamonds in the rough is just ignoring the reality of the situation 

People are acting like our success wasn't built with 5 stars. We had 2 5 stars on both our big ten title teams. 

Next years will have none. This pretending like Crean has done it without talent just because he's found a few diamonds in the rough is just ignoring the reality of the situation 

So u are saying u can win without 5 stars just not crean correct?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

So u are saying u can win without 5 stars just not crean correct?

Creans has had mixed success with 5 stars. I'm not saying he can't but I think it's reasonable to be concerned. 

Who dominated our game against Kansas?  Our two 5 stars. 

Creans has had mixed success with 5 stars. I'm not saying he can't but I think it's reasonable to be concerned. 

Who dominated our game against Kansas?  Our two 5 stars. 

Og looked good, Curtis Jones scored 7 points in ot. Our 5 star center fouled out

If we didn't upset Kansas the other night some would probably be more worked up. Im looking at the big picture, as in down the road. 

Starting next season we will miss not having a a Wilkes, Preston, Waters, etc type player on this team. Bryant, OG, and Blackman will most likely be gone. I do not see a Newkirk in the NBA lol.

We also had a 17-15 year with 2 5 stars on our team as well.

Yeah which is why I said mixed success with talent.  Having a bad year with talent doesn't give me confidence we will be just fine without it 

That team had a lot of problems that next years team shouldn't have. I'm not saying they'll be good but they won't have the same distractions.

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That team had a lot of problems that next years team shouldn't have. I'm not saying they'll be good but they won't have the same distractions.

I'm not saying we will be that bad either but people need to quit pretending that we aren't going to see a real dip next year. 

I'm not saying we will be that bad either but people need to quit pretending that we aren't going to see a real dip next year. 

Agree, we will still have plenty of talent that should compete in the B1G but I can't see us as a serious B1G contender.

I'm fine with a top 5 finish and NCAA appearance if it's sandwiched between B1G titles and at least sweet 16 appearances. That seems to be the projection of the program right now.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree, we will still have plenty of talent that should compete in the B1G but I can't see us as a serious B1G contender.

I'm fine with a top 5 finish and NCAA appearance if it's sandwiched between B1G titles and at least sweet 16 appearances. That seems to be the projection of the program right now.

For us to be back in contention I still think we need to get at least 1 stud in 2018. 

Before I would say we are or not a contender I would have to see what everyone else in the big 10 has coming back and who they have coming in. There is a lot of time between now and then