Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) PF Billy Preston to Kansas

1 hour ago, TheGies said:

The frustrating part is that it doesn't logically follow with our recent relative success on the court, sending guys to the NBA, plus the spots (OG/TB/JBJ) that are very likely to open up come next year. Add AH, the facilities, and prestige and it seems weird that we wouldn't land more top-level guys. It doesn't necessarily make me depressed but it does puzzle/frustrate me at times.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I just hope we can keep some roster balance position and talent wise.

1 hour ago, TheGies said:

The frustrating part is that it doesn't logically follow with our recent relative success on the court, sending guys to the NBA, plus the spots (OG/TB/JBJ) that are very likely to open up come next year. Add AH, the facilities, and prestige and it seems weird that we wouldn't land more top-level guys. It doesn't necessarily make me depressed but it does puzzle/frustrate me at times.

This! It's not about ranting and raving about stars and this and that, etc., it's that none of this makes any sense. It's not like we're Minnesota, Ole Miss, or Clemson. We're a tradition rich program, we have amazing facilities, we put guys in the NBA now, we play in one of the best atmospheres in the nation in one of the top/most competitive conferences, we play one of the most exciting styles in the country and our coach is known for player development. 

It just makes no sense why some 5*'s and low 4*'s aren't lining up. 

50 minutes ago, HoosierRob said:
I really don't know where crean goes from here? Maybe all in on tucker?? Looking like a. Rebuilding year in Bloomington next year.

Rebuilding year with 6 of 13 players ranked in the top 120 and 3 of those being upper classmen? Man tough crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yep. Semantics!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I really don't know where crean goes from here? Maybe all in on tucker?? Looking like a. Rebuilding year in Bloomington next year.

If I were Crean, I would press a talented big for 2017. Not much left but why not? I would also be looking at grad transfers in the mold of Maximus. A sophomore Davis, with a full summer on campus, will hold his own next season but we need a solid backup big.

Davis, backup big
JMo, Moore
Smith/McSwain
RoJo, CuJo
Newkirk, Green

I think that team is decent enough to not be too down for a down year. There is a lot to play out this season and recruiting before next season starts. I would be upset with a finish outside top 5/6 and miss the NCAAs in 2017-2018 though.

Rebuilding year with 6 of 13 players ranked in the top 120 and 3 of those being upper class man? Man tough crowd.

Not a rebuilding year by classic definition but very, very likely a down year. If we lose our 3 best players and go-to players and leaders, they need to be replaced.
I like our core players, I really like them. But who will be our go to player or playmaker? Rob Johnson is a great role player. Juwan Morgan is a fantastic player. We have some nice pieces but none of them can do what JB, OG, and TB do.

Crean will have a really tough job on his hands with a handful of good/great role players. CuJo might be our bucket getter. Idk. Hard to see the direction of where we are headed. Gotta have a few stars. Every top team has them. Who will be ours?

Not a rebuilding year by classic definition but very, very likely a down year. If we lose our 3 best players and go-to players and leaders, they need to be replaced.

I like our core players, I really like them. But who will be our go to player or playmaker? Rob Johnson is a great role player. Juwan Morgan is a fantastic player. We have some nice pieces but none of them can do what JB, OG, and TB do.

Crean will have a really tough job on his hands with a handful of good/great role players. CuJo might be our bucket getter. Idk. Hard to see the direction of where we are headed. Gotta have a few stars. Every top team has them. Who will be ours?

I could see rob as a go to guy. 4 year starter his senior year. Buddy hield wasn't a star his first 2 years but put work in and became a star. Oklahoma didn't have a top 100 player in there starting 5 last year but had solid role players that were upper class men that played together. Buddy worked his ass off in the off season and became the guy. In my opinion rob could be the guy as well

I could see rob as a go to guy. 4 year starter his senior year. Buddy hield wasn't a star his first 2 years but put work in and became a star. Oklahoma didn't have a top 100 player in there starting 5 last year but had solid role players that were upper class men that played together. Buddy worked his ass off in the off season and became the guy. In my opinion rob could be the guy as well

I used buddy as an example of getting better and being the guy on your respected team. Buddy took it to another level and became national player of the year. I'm not saying rob will do that

Buddy averaged.

Not the same career arc.

CuJo most has that type of style to be a go to scorer of those projected to return.

Buddy career arc has been a full 4 years, Roberts career arc still has 2 more years to fill out. Rob average more his freshman year at 8.9. I guess we differ in opinion on needing a "go to guy" All I heard last year was Villanova will struggle in the tourney because they didn't have a go to guy. They proved a lot of people wrong maybe iu can do the same next year. Heck maybe someone comes back that everyone is assuming is leaving. A long ways to go before I have to worry about that iu team

Honestly I could see Cujo and Morgan being X factor guys.  I know its just one game, but Cujo scored at will against a very good Kansas.  Hes got the talent even if its not every game this year hopefully he can put it together for next year. 

I still would like to go after a quality big, somebody who can come in and be productive off the bench.  Maybe not a high ceiling guy but somebody who can be a reliable back up for as long as he is here. 

I think the NBA formula works in CBB.

Teams that have a 'big 3' with surrounding role players are often the best.

Teams that go with one key star don't usually have a ton of success.

That's what we have this year with a great supporting cast.

Next year, TBD. I agree with USPS on this. It's a long ways away and so much can happen including players returning that would be unexpected.

However our recruiting misses are amassing at an alarming rate. I will always keep faith until proven otherwise. Just worry about our recruiting failures. Keep playing with fire and eventually you'll get burned.

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Next year, TBD. I agree with USPS on this. It's a long ways away and so much can happen including players returning that would be unexpected.

However our recruiting misses are amassing at an alarming rate. I will always keep faith until proven otherwise. Just worry about our recruiting failures. Keep playing with fire and eventually you'll get burned.

Oh I agree completely and next year will be a down year almost certainly.  But for once a down year probably still means the tourney. 

Our recruiting woes have to be addressed immediately. We are having the on court success, we are spending the money.  The ROI needs to turn positive.  There is no reason our recruiting should be going downhill.  And if that means hiring another assistant who is an elite recruiter so be it.  Because we need some studs in 2018.

We just embarrassed the Kansas big men, and we are about to lose a big man to Kansas.  We eliminated Kentucky from the Tourney last year and yet we all know we would have lost to UK in a 1 on 1 recruiting battle. This can not be allowed to continue. 

We just lost a kid who is a fan, to a guy who can't coach, can't develop talent and might be unemployed in 5 months. 

I Always like discussing recruiting and iu basketball with you. I like seeing a different perspective from how I would view things. While we might look at things a little differently in recruiting and other things we r both iu basketball diehards to the core. Regardless of our recruiting failures or successes I'm sure both of us will be on here discussing it. Keep up the good discussions

I could see Davis having a huge frosh to soph leap to the point he's playing at a freshman Bryant level next season.

CuJo could make the OG leap where he didn't get much time the year before because of a really good upperclassman in front of him. (Williams - JBJ) I wouldn't be shocked to see CuJo be the leading scorer next season. He's wired to score and will get more minutes and shots next season.

JMo could step up to be one of the "big 3" next season as the remaining player from the 2015 class. He's best in a do a little bit of everything role but he could be a pain in opponents backside with his versatility.

That's a possibility for a big 3. I don't see RoJo ever becoming a ball dominant guard in the mold of Yogi or JBJ. He'll be an important piece though.

Newkirk will also be an important upperclassman leader.

The pieces are there but we'll have to depend on current role players taking a leap to stardom while filling out future role players with freshman or grad transfers.