Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) CG Jalen Blackmon

What’s in your scouting report that you weren’t happy with?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He isn’t a good ball handler. He doesn’t play hard. He only shoots 3’s although he’s really good at that. He isn’t a good passer. He’s basically a 6’1 two guard that plays like a 6’5 two guard that plays because he can shoot. He’s not anywhere close to being a point guard imo.

3 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I’m not a fan of Blackmon at all after watching him in person last night. Lander I’m all in on.

I've seen Lander a few times in person. He is good but not 5 star good if that makes any sense. I hope he sticks around one more year in Evansville. 

45 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He isn’t a good ball handler. He doesn’t play hard. He only shoots 3’s although he’s really good at that. He isn’t a good passer. He’s basically a 6’1 two guard that plays like a 6’5 two guard that plays because he can shoot. He’s not anywhere close to being a point guard imo.

It will be interesting to see how he develops. I hope he is better than his brothers. 

I live close to Marion & have formed a bit of a relationship with the family. I've got to say Jalen I don't have a lot to go on as I did with JBJ, but it's mainly due to his dad keeping him more reserved. JBJ was able to handle the spotlight from day one. Jalen isnt, but hopefully that changes during AAU. I will say Blackmon Sr makes it known he doesn't want or care if Jalen plays D yet. He wants him working on his offense & really preaches keeping his energy for getting buckets. Sound familiar?

He looks to be a kid I expect to be anywhere from 15-60 in the rankings. It really all depends on how his body changes the older he gets. If his size can become a plus for him the rest of his skills will follow. I'd make Lander more of a priority now, but by senior year I think Blackmon has a shot.

1 hour ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

It's more common than people think when the kids are this young. AAU circuit will give a look at what he could be on that end.

I realize he's still young and a lot can change, but he doesn't seem to currently fit the profile that CAM seems to be recruiting from a defensive standpoint at his position. If he grows 2 or 3 more inches or develops serviceable point skills, then he might make sense for what we need. As with recruiting in general, who else is available and what the needs are will dictate everything.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As many on here know I have a little bit of a connection with the Blackmons. I keep being told Jalen has the highest ceiling of all the Blackmons. I don’t know if that is wishful thinking or not but I continue to hear this each and every year. Was nice seeing them all at the game yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Hey Doc... good to see ya!

As many on here know I have a little bit of a connection with the Blackmons. I keep being told Jalen has the highest ceiling of all the Blackmons. I don’t know if that is wishful thinking or not but I continue to hear this each and every year. Was nice seeing them all at the game yesterday.

Fleek!!!

19 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Kinda my thoughts as well. Still think JBJ will end up the best of the three.

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Welcome back Doc.

Jalen Blackmon has scored 1312 points in his high school career and is now 10th on the Marion Giants All-Time scoring list.
TOP 10            PTS. (Year Graduated)
1- James Blackmon – 1897 (1983)
2-Jay Edwards – 1860 (1987)
3- Lyndon Jones – 1711 (1987)
4- Zach Randolph – 1607 (2000)
5- Dave Colescott – 1529 (1976)
6- Juluis Mays – 1495 (2008)
7- Joseph Price – 1492 (1982)
8- Harold Curdy – 1488 (1965)
9- Vijay Blackmon – 1328 (2016)
10-Jalen Blackmon – 1312

Marion's season ended with a 57-44 loss to the defending 3A champs Culver Military Academy.  Unofficially, Blackmon finished with 15 pts. on 5-16 FG; 1-10 on 3's; 4-5 FT; 3 assists; 1 stl; 4 TO's.  Until there were just 6 minutes left in the game, Blackmon was guarded by Trey Galloway and only had 6 points on 3-12 FG with several forced shots.  

On 3/12/2019 at 7:26 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jalen Blackmon has scored 1312 points in his high school career and is now 10th on the Marion Giants All-Time scoring list.
TOP 10            PTS. (Year Graduated)
1- James Blackmon – 1897 (1983)
2-Jay Edwards – 1860 (1987)
3- Lyndon Jones – 1711 (1987)
4- Zach Randolph – 1607 (2000)
5- Dave Colescott – 1529 (1976)
6- Juluis Mays – 1495 (2008)
7- Joseph Price – 1492 (1982)
8- Harold Curdy – 1488 (1965)
9- Vijay Blackmon – 1328 (2016)
10-Jalen Blackmon – 1312

Some good players on that list!

Rumor/Reality whatever you want to call it, family around Marion said that the Blackmon's are completely out on Indiana and sending all of the focus of getting on UK.  Not a shocker, but I wouldn't waste precious air recruiting this kid when there are others out there.

Three weeks ago, Jalen Blackmon attended an IU game. Why would he bother if not interested in IU? Why would IU be interested in having him attend a game if not interested in IU. I am sure the IU coaching staff knows more about the situation than you do.

Rumor/Reality whatever you want to call it, family around Marion said that the Blackmon's are completely out on Indiana and sending all of the focus of getting on UK.  Not a shocker, but I wouldn't waste precious air recruiting this kid when there are others out there.

I know the family and other connections too. I know Kentucky is his Dream school. Will he be good enough for Kentucky is the real question.

And if not, which school becomes next best is where things get interesting.

This is not conjecture. I know this.