Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

28 minutes ago, Demo said:

Not sure if this is the job for Fickell, but this is the time. He’s taken Cincinnati as far as it’s gonna go, Big 12 move or not.

I definitely wouldn't take that job. Cincy will be a better job soon. With divisions going bye bye and USC/UCLA joining. Wisconsin gonna be way behind. 

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I definitely wouldn't take that job. Cincy will be a better job soon. With divisions going bye bye and USC/UCLA joining. Wisconsin gonna be way behind. 

Depends if they’re willing to spend to support him. Wisconsin is one of the richest athletic departments in the country and they’re supposed to be building a $300million facility at some point in the near future. 

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Depends if they’re willing to spend to support him. Wisconsin is one of the richest athletic departments in the country and they’re supposed to be building a $300million facility at some point in the near future. 

But is that going to keep you competing with Ohio State, Michigan and USC? They'd really be battling for 4th best probably with UCLA and Penn State. And the random year Iowa gets. 

19 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think it’s debatable whether he should take the Wisky job or hold out for a better one, but I think it’s definitely a better job than Cincy. Wisky is in the PSU/MSU tier of job, imo. The Big 10 and the SEC are going to be the two premier conferences and everyone else will be a step or two down. I’d rather coach a top half of the Big 10 job than a top 3-4 job in the Big 12. 

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But is that going to keep you competing with Ohio State, Michigan and USC? They'd really be battling for 4th best probably with UCLA and Penn State. And the random year Iowa gets. 

He doesn’t have a chance to compete with the big boys if he stays at Cincy. I think Wisconsin is much more stable of a job too. The B1G is pretty solid in its standing in the country, but the Big 12 is still kind of up in the air. It should be a competitive and exciting conference, but it’ll look much more like the current AAC than the current Big 12 when the dust settles vs being at an upper half program in one of the 2 major conferences. 

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He doesn’t have a chance to compete with the big boys if he stays at Cincy. I think Wisconsin is much more stable of a job too. The B1G is pretty solid in its standing in the country, but the Big 12 is still kind of up in the air. It should be a competitive and exciting conference, but it’ll look much more like the current AAC than the current Big 12 when the dust settles vs being at an upper half program in one of the 2 major conferences. 

If the field expands to 12, he will have a better shot of reaching the playoff at Cincy and definitely winning Big 12 championships. 

Seems as if I've read a lot of "experts" say Day would be a good fit in the NFL, and over the past couple years, his name has come up when pro jobs would open. 

I sorta thought Fickell was waiting for that to happen -- and the OSU job to open back up so he could return to Columbus. Maybe he just got tired of waiting. 

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Sometimes just going to the "bigger" program isn't a good choice. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If the field expands to 12, he will have a better shot of reaching the playoff at Cincy and definitely winning Big 12 championships. 

True, but does a watered down Big 12 title and likely still getting pounded in the playoff anyway appeal to him vs. a place with better resources to compete with the best?

7 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

True, but does a watered down Big 12 title and likely still getting pounded in the playoff anyway appeal to him vs. a place with better resources to compete with the best?

More of the issue is that Fickell at Cincinnati is making the same $$ as Chryst was at Wisconsin. Wisconsin as you stated may be sitting on a pile of money, but they ain't sharing.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Does a better chance at the playoff and winning a conference title mean more than not winning a conference title and a less likely chance to make the playoff?

6 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

More of the issue is that Fickell at Cincinnati is making the same $$ as Chryst was at Wisconsin. Wisconsin as you stated may be sitting on a pile of money, but they ain't sharing.

The terms of his contract at UW will be interesting if he goes there. With Grandpa Barry going away, does the checkbook open up? I’m guessing he doesn’t leave Cincy for UW without some financial assurances for the program. 

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Does a better chance at the playoff and winning a conference title mean more than not winning a conference title and a less likely chance to make the playoff?

For me, I’d rather be at a program with a higher ceiling in a more stable conference. Getting to the playoff is great, but I really don’t think Cincy ever has a shot at winning 4 games in it. Not sure Wisconsin does either, so I guess it begs the question of did he screw up by not jumping when bigger and better schools came sniffing around?

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

For me, I’d rather be at a program with a higher ceiling in a more stable conference. Getting to the playoff is great, but I really don’t think Cincy ever has a shot at winning 4 games in it. Not sure Wisconsin does either, so I guess it begs the question of did he screw up by not jumping when bigger and better schools came sniffing around?

Maybe he did, but I wouldn't consider Wisconsin to be that school. And I'm not sure Wisconsin fans would like his style of football. 

Wisconsin's Board of Regents (Trustees) are having a meeting this afternoon to discuss employment and 'additional compensation agreements' for the UW-Madison head football coach.

https://www.wisconsin.edu/regents/download/meeting_materials/2022_meeting_materials/Meeting-Notice---Special-Meeting-of-the-UW-System-Board-of-Regents-(November-27,-2022).pdf

21 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

UCLA needs to do a lot of work before they'll be battling for 4th. They haven't been consistently good for some time now.