Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

37 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

Those Frost UCF teams were well coached right? Or did they just out talent everyone else? Every Nebraska team he has fielded has been so poorly coached. 

That's what I don't understand, on paper they typically have more talent than a number of the teams they are consistently losing to.  I can't imagine things will stay the course with a new GM in the saddle.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yes. It would have been jawdropping terrible if it hasn’t been the B1G Modus Operandi for years. Awful

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

A case could be made that Minny shot themselves.  5 penalties and big mistakes starting in the 3rd quarter cost Minny the game.

Yes, there were controversial calls that went against Minny.  And yes, OSU gets help from many sources including the B1G, the way the university school system is set up in Ohio, demographics, TV revenue, etc.  

But Minny had the opportunities to go up and stay up big double digits.  It's a first game.  Both teams played like it.

No team can afford to give up big gulps of points to OSU.  That's a killer.

A case could be made that Minny shot themselves.  5 penalties and big mistakes starting in the 3rd quarter cost Minny the game.

Yes, there were controversial calls that went against Minny.  And yes, OSU gets help from many sources including the B1G, the way the university school system is set up in Ohio, demographics, TV revenue, etc.  

But Minny had the opportunities to go up and stay up big double digits.  It's a first game.  Both teams played like it.

No team can afford to give up big gulps of points to OSU.  That's a killer.

How about the “targeting call” turned into fumble? Thoughts on that call and timing? I can’t remember if they were down 7 at that point but I felt like they were. Maybe 14. But an egregious call that ended the game.

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

How about the “targeting call” turned into fumble? Thoughts on that call and timing? I can’t remember if they were down 7 at that point but I felt like they were. Maybe 14. But an egregious call that ended the game.

It was 14. But really they just didn’t want that kid to be suspended next week against Oregon. 

Do not get your hopes this year against OSU the refs will not let us a win. If we are somehow up late their will be mysterious holds or roughing the passer by breathing. 

It was 14. But really they just didn’t want that kid to be suspended next week against Oregon. 

Do not get your hopes this year against OSU the refs will not let us a win. If we are somehow up late their will be mysterious holds or roughing the passer by breathing. 

I think there was 1 definite PI not called the drive or 2 before. DB reached out and grabbed the WR arm TWICE.

But Minnesota still had chances for sure. Gave up too many big plays in 2nd half.

Kansas in 2017 went 12-1 and even got as high as #2 and was a legitimate national title contender in the BCS era. Since then...

They've had 1 winning season in 2008 at 8-5(4-4). Theyve won more than 1 conference game in a season since 2007 once and that was 2008. 

They are 34-120 since with 8 of the wins coming in 2008 and 5 coming in 2009. They 11-102 in conference play with 4 of the wins coming in 2008. 

They've had 2 seasons where they didn't win a game in 2015 and 2020. They've had 5 seasons without beating a Big 12 opponent (2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020). 

They started off the 2009 season 5-0(so some promise), and since then they are 21-115.

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wayne, that is an example of the controversial calls that I was talking about.  Seems to me that a case could be made on both sides of the issue.  Definitely helmet to helmet.  Why no call on OSU's 12 for targeting?

Well, 12's hands and arms are involved apparently'in the tackle. His shoulder makes contact at same time.  Offensive receiver did have control of the ball so it was a reception.  Receiver saw the tackle coming and ducked his head.  

I believe that the receiver did not duck into 12's helmet.  The receiver did try to make something of the play in spite of 12's helmet leading the way into the collision...  But once again, there are other factors: the hands; the shoulder; prior recognition by receiver; and the duck.  No call is controversial but could be justified.

Yeah, but, 12 launched and went crown first...

What really pissed me off was that the refs reviewed the fumble and didn't say anything about the apparent targeting.  The receiver was temporarily knocked out for crying out loud.  Fix this rule!  Protect the players!

Sux, because I wanted a call, for sure.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

By rule it was indeed targeting.  But I understand why it wasn't called. Keep in mind folks, IUFBs defense ain't no slouch and will be subject to these types of hits as well. 

Targeting is kind of a double edged sword for me.  On one hand the laws of physics just doesn't allow a defender to prevent it.  On the other hand CTE is a real thing and acknowledging it and trying to address it via rules like targeting is a good thing for humanity in general. 

I think the biggest beef I have with targeting is the rule is such a stiff penalty.  I wish the punishment would change to something like a flagrant 1 vs 2 in basketball or a yellow vs red card in soccer.

In regards to the game I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome because they were down 14.  They may have cut it to a 7 point difference but then they'd have to get the ball back with not a lot of time left.  They'd have had a chance to tie the game, but not likely.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

By rule it was indeed targeting.  But I understand why it wasn't called. Keep in mind folks, IUFBs defense ain't no slouch and will be subject to these types of hits as well. 

Targeting is kind of a double edged sword for me.  On one hand the laws of physics just doesn't allow a defender to prevent it.  On the other hand CTE is a real thing and acknowledging it and trying to address it via rules like targeting is a good thing for humanity in general. 

I think the biggest beef I have with targeting is the rule is such a stiff penalty.  I wish the punishment would change to something like a flagrant 1 vs 2 in basketball or a yellow vs red card in soccer.

In regards to the game I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome because they were down 14.  They may have cut it to a 7 point difference but then they'd have to get the ball back with not a lot of time left.  They'd have had a chance to tie the game, but not likely.

At that point the refs were helping out OSU against Oregon more that the gophers.  

I've done some refereeing and umpiring, and I have a hard time with the narrative that on-field refs have an agenda for or against any particular team.

Referees are trained and hard-wired to see moving bodies colliding and interacting, and immediately react accordingly. They don't see uniform colors; they see an offensive lineman flinch and they throw a flag, or they see a late hit and throw a flag. When the play ends they attribute it to the uniform and uniform number.

Of course, there are many, many close calls during a game. One can cherry-pick the calls that go a certain team's way and conclude that the refs had 'a favorite', but it's just not so. 

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I've done some refereeing and umpiring, and I have a hard time with the narrative that on-field refs have an agenda for or against any particular team.

Referees are trained and hard-wired to see moving bodies colliding and interacting, and immediately react accordingly. They don't see uniform colors; they see an offensive lineman flinch and they throw a flag, or they see a late hit and throw a flag. When the play ends they attribute it to the uniform and uniform number.

Of course, there are many, many close calls during a game. One can cherry-pick the calls that go a certain team's way and conclude that the refs had 'a favorite', but it's just not so. 

It’s almost as if Ohio State kicks everyone’s ass because they have better players than everyone and not because of a cloak and dagger backroom agreement!

A lot of college football (and basketball) officials are bad. They’re bad for everyone and in big moments. Ohio State has never needed any help, didn’t last night, won’t this season, or any other season. 

It’s almost as if Ohio State kicks everyone’s @$$ because they have better players than everyone and not because of a cloak and dagger backroom agreement!
A lot of college football (and basketball) officials are bad. They’re bad for everyone and in big moments. Ohio State has never needed any help, didn’t last night, won’t this season, or any other season. 
Agree. When you have 90% of the top 10% of talent in a league on one team they will most often win and don't need the "help". This also is why I think Ryan Day is mediocre to bad as a coach. He has all of this talent and yet his teams struggle way more than they should at times.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk