Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

Shouldn't be hard to replace. Sadly... Our running game isn't much. Shouldn't be difficult to teach running it up the gut for a couple yards. 

If it were that easy I wonder why every Big Ten team didn’t have a 2nd team all B1G rusher? Especially with higher ranked recruits at OL and RB? Oh s*** maybe it isn’t that easy!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

If it were that easy I wonder why every Big Ten team didn’t have a 2nd team all B1G rusher? Especially with higher ranked recruits at OL and RB? Oh s*** maybe it isn’t that easy!

Well normally the top 10 teams gets those kind of accolades. There wasn't much competition this season. 

Well normally the top 10 teams gets those kind of accolades. There wasn't much competition this season. 

What if I happened to be talking about last season when Stevie was 2nd team B1G by coaches and media? Not much competition then too or what?

2 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

What if I happened to be talking about last season when Stevie was 2nd team B1G by coaches and media? Not much competition then too or what?

And what did he get this year? Why is everyone butthurt at me because our running game isn't good? That's on Hart, the OC and OLine coach. Losing Hart isn't a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And what did he get this year? Why is everyone butthurt at me because our running game isn't good? That's on Hart, the OC and OLine coach. Losing Hart isn't a big deal. 

Didn’t Hart have a big hand in landing Sampson James and Stevie Scott? James who’s one of the better rated recruits this program has ever had? But sure not a big deal...

14 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Didn’t Hart have a big hand in landing Sampson James and Stevie Scott? James who’s one of the better rated recruits this program has ever had? But sure not a big deal...

And? Scott is just an okay back. He's not some superstar by any means and his production has gone down each year. Except touchdowns. He has 30, 10 each year. Sampson James has hardly even played. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And? Scott is just an okay back. He's not some superstar by any means and his production has gone down each year. Except touchdowns. He has 30, 10 each year. Sampson James has hardly even played. 

You're the first one to say that IUBB will not get back to where we want to be until we get better players consistently. You don't have to look very hard to see that Hart has had a big part in landing some of these better players the last few years. He also doesn't call the plays, or teach the offensive blocking scheme so pinning the blame of running game on him is quite shortsighted. Just firmly believe you're underestimating his contributions to the program. And if we land a replacement that is not on Hart's level or doesn't continue to land these quality players (mainly RBs) I'd wager you'll be the first one to complain.

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

You're the first one to say that IUBB will not get back to where we want to be until we get better players consistently. You don't have to look very hard to see that Hart has had a big part in landing some of these better players the last few years. He also doesn't call the plays, or teach the offensive blocking scheme so pinning the blame of running game on him is quite shortsighted. Just firmly believe you're underestimating his contributions to the program. And if we land a replacement that is not on Hart's level or doesn't continue to land these quality players (mainly RBs) I'd wager you'll be the first one to complain.

I'm going to complain if our run game and offensive line continue to be so weak. We should be looking to upgrade. And after this seasons results, shouldn't be difficult. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm going to complain if our run game and offensive line continue to be so weak. We should be looking to upgrade. And after this seasons results, shouldn't be difficult. 

I'll definitely agree that IU needs to get better and far deeper along the offensive line, but I'd simply say that the OL recruits was not something Hart was tasked with from what I've seen. Without quality holes for the RBs to run through, it maybe hard to discern the talent that has been accumulated by Hart at the position, which I can assure you is there based on the ratings. I recall the bowl game against Utah in Santa Clara when Lagow and Diamont were the QBs, which was only a full recruiting class away. It's night and day the offensive talent from that team to that of today, and it's not even close. If you're unable to see that, it's quite unfortunate as this is quite the time to be alive as an IU football fan

37 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I'll definitely agree that IU needs to get better and far deeper along the offensive line, but I'd simply say that the OL recruits was not something Hart was tasked with from what I've seen. Without quality holes for the RBs to run through, it maybe hard to discern the talent that has been accumulated by Hart at the position, which I can assure you is there based on the ratings. I recall the bowl game against Utah in Santa Clara when Lagow and Diamont were the QBs, which was only a full recruiting class away. It's night and day the offensive talent from that team to that of today, and it's not even close. If you're unable to see that, it's quite unfortunate as this is quite the time to be alive as an IU football fan

Who was the running backs coach under Wilson? Stephen Houston, Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard, Devine Redding... None of them ran for under 4 yards per carry. That's on the running backs too. For not being good enough to make creative cuts. 

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Who was the running backs coach under Wilson? Stephen Houston, Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard, Devine Redding... None of them ran for under 4 yards per carry. That's on the running backs too. For not being good enough to make creative cuts. 

Spriggs, Brewer, Feeney and even Saffold if you'd like to go back that far had a large part in those RBs success. Pretty clear that Wilson was able to land some better OL than Allen has thus far, but he's essentially had one full recruiting cycle - give him some time.

2nd Team this year. And last. Just a note at your point that he only got it this year cause UW, PSU, and UM had down years. I do agree with you though that it’s not a huge deal as I have faith in our RB room and CTA to replace Hart well.

3 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Spriggs, Brewer, Feeney and even Saffold if you'd like to go back that far had a large part in those RBs success. Pretty clear that Wilson was able to land some better OL than Allen has thus far, but he's essentially had one full recruiting cycle - give him some time.

We just have to give credit where it is due.. Kevin Wilson knew how to coach an offensive line. The scheme we ran also helped. We didn't just run it up the middle every time. 

Has yet to be officially confirmed but all indications are Tennessee is terminating Jeremy Pruitt and AD Phil Fulmer is retiring.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2021/01/18/jeremy-pruitt-fired-tennessee-football-coaching-search-vols/6413502002/

20 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Has yet to be officially confirmed but all indications are Tennessee is terminating Jeremy Pruitt and AD Phil Fulmer is retiring.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2021/01/18/jeremy-pruitt-fired-tennessee-football-coaching-search-vols/6413502002/

I believe it's official now. Are we nervous? I really don't think we should be. Joe Rexrode, who writes for the Athletic down here, pushed Allen's name a while back as someone UT should go after if Pruitt were let go. Yet the fanbase seemed to remember the end of the Gator Bowl too much to get on board. Good. I have a feeling TA is too locked in to be interested in a job at a program under investigation, especially knowing where he has the IU program in comparison at this point. Now if they get turned down by their first 3 choices, I'll get nervous. 

22 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I believe it's official now. Are we nervous? I really don't think we should be. Joe Rexrode, who writes for the Athletic down here, pushed Allen's name a while back as someone UT should go after if Pruitt were let go. Yet the fanbase seemed to remember the end of the Gator Bowl too much to get on board. Good. I have a feeling TA is too locked in to be interested in a job at a program under investigation, especially knowing where he has the IU program in comparison at this point. Now if they get turned down by their first 3 choices, I'll get nervous. 

@Nashville Hoosier Out of my own pure morbid curiosity, which names are you hearing floated around Knoxville at this point?