Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2017) PF Deng Gak to Miami

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Can't search his name....

Deng Gak @DengGak7 will cut his list to 5 soon. The likely 5 visits include Florida, Miami, Indiana, Kansas & Duke

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I realized after seeing this that I failed to include Gak as a participant in the Adidas Global Nation event going on this weekend.

Geez. Both Deng and Bamba are high on Duke...and us.

Duke will get one, not both, right?

HA. They will take both, and probably promise them both starting roles at the same position, and then continue to recruit over them until one transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Duke would take both, I believe.

Mixed reviews on Gak but thats a pretty solid Final 5 and I tend to put my trust in the coaches scouting abilities.

Has Deng mentioned anything about when he will announce?  Duke has several bigs he might have to sit behind and wait his turn.

Soph - Chas Jeter

Frosh - Marques Bolden, Harry Giles

Not to mention if they land Mo Bamba he'll be behind him as well.  I don't like negative recruiting but hopefully the staff his showing him this when/if we get an official visit.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Has Deng mentioned anything about when he will announce?  Duke has several bigs he might have to sit behind and wait his turn.

Soph - Chas Jeter

Frosh - Marques Bolden, Harry Giles

Not to mention if they land Mo Bamba he'll be behind him as well.  I don't like negative recruiting but hopefully the staff his showing him this when/if we get an official visit.

I haven't heard of a timeline for Deng. 

There are a ton of moving parts there for Duke. Giles won't be there. Bolden may be there. Jeter probably will. As you said, if they get Bamba or Carter they will be ahead of him. IU is certainly pointing that out but does he see himself as an instant impact guy? Is he? I don't know. But maybe that fits his plan, maybe it doesn't.

If he takes all five officials, IU will get one obviously. I would expect him to visit IU with all the connections Chuck Martin has with his AAU program. Keep in mind, one thing we haven't talked about is IU only has 12 OV's to host. That normally isn't a problem, but they are in good shape with 10+ prospects, some we don't even talk about. (David Beatty has an official scheduled to IU as an example.) 

Anyways, I wouldn't put much into those AAU stats. He has a backseat role on his AAU team. I would be interested in his HS stats last year and this year to come. That link is a shotty count, but looks like they at least get his points in the stat column. Has him avg 15.9 PPG with game highs of 27, 24, 22 and his two lowest are 6 and 8.

I actually like Gak a lot. If IU misses on Bamba and Richards, would you guys feel comfortable with bringing in just Gak in the post for '17?

That would give IU (projected) McSwain, Morgan, Davis, and Gak in the post...I don't know if that is "comfortable" personally. Could be better, could be worse.

6 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

I haven't heard of a timeline for Deng. 

There are a ton of moving parts there for Duke. Giles won't be there. Bolden may be there. Jeter probably will. As you said, if they get Bamba or Carter they will be ahead of him. IU is certainly pointing that out but does he see himself as an instant impact guy? Is he? I don't know. But maybe that fits his plan, maybe it doesn't.

If he takes all five officials, IU will get one obviously. I would expect him to visit IU with all the connections Chuck Martin has with his AAU program. Keep in mind, one thing we haven't talked about is IU only has 12 OV's to host. That normally isn't a problem, but they are in good shape with 10+ prospects, some we don't even talk about. (David Beatty has an official scheduled to IU as an example.) 

Anyways, I wouldn't put much into those AAU stats. He has a backseat role on his AAU team. I would be interested in his HS stats last year and this year to come. That link is a shotty count, but looks like they at least get his points in the stat column. Has him avg 15.9 PPG with game highs of 27, 24, 22 and his two lowest are 6 and 8.

Those are pretty solid high school stats.  I don't know the teams he is playing and if they have size or if he's just dunking on everyone to get those points.  13/15 games in double figures is definitely good though.  At IU, I don't think he needs to be an instant impact guy.  If he could come off the bench and split minutes with DD and play a few minutes along side him that would be a good pickup for the staff.  We can't go into the 2017-2018 year with DD as the only big. 

Interesting note on the 12 OV's, I never thought about that.  Could that be a reason Scruggs ended up just taking an unofficial visit?

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Those are pretty solid high school stats.  I don't know the teams he is playing and if they have size or if he's just dunking on everyone to get those points.  13/15 games in double figures is definitely good though.  At IU, I don't think he needs to be an instant impact guy.  If he could come off the bench and split minutes with DD and play a few minutes along side him that would be a good pickup for the staff.  We can't go into the 2017-2018 year with DD as the only big. 

Interesting note on the 12 OV's, I never thought about that.  Could that be a reason Scruggs ended up just taking an unofficial visit?

Watch that second video. I know it's a highlight video (can we just make this a thing so we don't have to say it every time:120:) but he has more to his game than dunks. He actually has some impressive footwork, post moves, and flashes of a decent (albeit slow) mid-range shot.

I was going to post something about the Scruggs thing but thought it may take on a life of it's own. No, IU would absolutely prefer a 48 hour OV and maaayyyy still get it. Same with Wilkes. But the reality is those two have been on campus since they were 13/14 years old. I'm not sure I can remember anyone visiting IU more than Paul Scruggs, actually. They're just really familiar with everything Indiana. It means, mostly nothing outside of the fact that the staff would like more time with them. Just was pointing out it's sorta interesting given all the prospects.

24 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

I actually like Gak a lot. If IU misses on Bamba and Richards, would you guys feel comfortable with bringing in just Gak in the post for '17?

That would give IU (projected) McSwain, Morgan, Davis, and Gak in the post...I don't know if that is "comfortable" personally. Could be better, could be worse.

We'd be a three guard lineup team with that group, likely along with Davis and Morgan as starters.

That might work well, but would very much upset the natives. Add Wilkes at a wing into the starting lineup? That'd be nice.

As for the video? Quick, very long, uses both hands very, very well. Alligator arms and early release on the jumper. Overall? Huge potential, especially for a kid that is supposed to be smart and humble.

Yes, the "yes but it's a highlight video" should be a thing with all posters understanding. Can we get that in the site rules???

I just finished watching the first video a few minutes ago. I'll check the second one out. I think the staff can point to Bryant and show how he improved over the season.

Really interesting stuff about Scruggs/Wilkes and the OVs. Hopefully Crean can convince him to take an OV before he makes a decision.

Good point about his AAU stats being pretty lackluster but he only averaged 12 min./game because Mo Bamba was the 'Main Man' on his AAU squad.  He's rated 4 stars and with Duke, Kansas, UConn among others who've offered, he's not exactly Jeremiah April 2.0.   Just a side note on Bamba, he did not play in a number of this summer's AAU games because of injuries and I wonder if that's a worrisome omen that he could be injury prone.

We'd be a three guard lineup team with that group, likely along with Davis and Morgan as starters.

That might work well, but would very much upset the natives. Add Wiles at a wing into the starting lineup? That'd be nice.

I think we get at least one wing in 2017. I would go with '17 wing, Morgan, and DD with McSwain and Gak backing up the 4-5. We might need to go to a 3 guard lineup with reserves if that's all we have on the wing and front court. If we get another wing and/or OG stays we'll be fine. I still don't see OG definitely leaving. Just my opinion though.