Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Yogi Ferrell - Partizan Basketball Club (Serbia)

Snippets from the article specific to Yogi are below.

https://www.mavs.com/despite-string-of-losses-mavs-are-encouraged-by-development-of-young-players/

Scoring 21 points on 8-of-16 shooting and 3 of 6 from three-point range in 32 minutes of action, undrafted rookie point guard Yogi Ferrell made the most of his additional playing time and opportunity in the starting lineup. .... And despite coming up on the losing end, Ferrell says the young contributors gained valuable experience that figures to pay off for the franchise down the road.

“It’s definitely difficult. We don’t like losing, but we know why we’re (playing veterans only in the first half), and it’s to try to make us young guys better. We’re just making it a learning experience,” Ferrell explained. “We’re all getting a good feel for where he want to pick and choose our spots and where we like to find each other, so I feel like we’ve had a great time playing together.

Yogi Ferrell says his rookie season with Mavs was filled with learning experiences

DALLAS — After going from an undrafted free agent to being waived to signing a 10-day contract with a new team and eventually garnering Western Conference Rookie of the Month honors all within his first NBA season, point guard Yogi Ferrell admits that his first-year journey certainly wasn’t conventional.

Going untaken in last June’s draft and signing as a free agent with the Brooklyn Nets on Nov. 9, Ferrell saw action in 10 games and averaged 5.4 points, 1.7 assists and 1.2 rebounds in 15.1 minutes per contest before being waived on Dec. 8. He then quickly found himself starring in the NBA Development League for 18 games with the Long Island Nets, averaging 18.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 35.7 minutes per outing to earn D-League All-Star honors. He was called up by the Dallas Mavericks’ front office with another opportunity to make his mark in the NBA from there. But despite eventually inking a multi-year contract with the Mavericks during a stellar rookie season, Ferrell says he still has something to prove to himself and his naysayers. 

“It’s been a whirlwind, man. It’s been a crazy past year for me in my first professional season, and I just stuck with it,” Ferrell confessed. “It was a lot of hard work. I just waited till my name was called for my next opportunity, and I just tried to make the most of it.

“I learned about myself to never doubt myself and my ability. I just feel like I maybe had some doubt after I got waived by Brooklyn, and I didn’t get picked up after a workout I had with an NBA team in the middle of the season. But I never doubted my ability. I stuck to what I was doing and what has gotten me to this point. I mean, honestly, I never had any doubt. And even when I was in the D-League and Brooklyn, I was still working hard and just waiting on my next turn. That was it.”

The 23-year-old Ferrell signed a 10-day contract with the Mavericks on Jan. 28, and he immediately stepped into the starting lineup to help the team combat injuries in the backcourt. But after he led the Mavs to a four-game winning streak in his first four outings with the team, Ferrell admittedly suffered through growing pains throughout his rookie season that he says will prove to be beneficial for years to come.

Ferrell took full advantage of his opportunity once he got it with the Mavericks, helping the team sweep a pivotal back-to-back in San Antonio and at home against the defending champion Cleveland Cavaliers the following night in his first two games. After the Mavs’ dominant 113-95 win at home over Philadelphia on Feb. 1, Ferrell then scored a career-high 32 points on 11-of-17 shooting and 9 of 11 from three-point range during a 108-104 win in Portland two nights later. In the process, he tied the league’s rookie record for three-pointers in a single game that was originally set by ex-Mav Roddy Beaubois.

Ferrell’s 32 points were the most by an NBA player within his first 15 games since Blake Griffin scored 44 during his 14th career game back in 2010. Ferrell also became the first undrafted rookie in league history to score 30-plus points in a game in which he also led his team in assists after dishing out five during the win. He became just the third undrafted player in league history to score 30-plus points within his first 15 career NBA games as well, joining Connie Hawkins and Anthony Morrow. But after also joining All-Stars Stephen Curry, James Harden, Isaiah Thomas and Damian Lillard as one of only four players to hit nine three-pointers in a single game this season, Ferrell was more so proud of holding his own against former Finals MVP Tony Parker, All-Star guard Kyrie Irving and Lillard while leading his team to wins during three of his first four games.

“You know, I didn’t try to look at them as All-Star guys. Of course, I’m going to give them that respect off the court, because they’ve done great things. But on the court, you know, I’m just trying to do what they’ve done for many years, and trying to make a name for myself as well,” Ferrell explained.

He added: “I was just trying to take it in and just trying to do everything to try to keep my consistency up to par. I think I had some rough spots, but I think that’s just all a part of it. I just know one thing: I can never doubt myself and my ability. I just always have to stick with it.”

Named Western Conference Rookie of the Month for February to become the first Mav since Devin Harris to win the award since 2004, Ferrell averaged 12.0 points, 3.3 rebounds and 4.7 assists while leading his team to a 6-5 record in 11 games. He then finished the season averaging 11.3 points, 2.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 36 appearances for the Mavericks, making 29 starts during that span.

Ferrell also earned the trust of Mavs coach Rick Carlisle during his short time with the team. And after becoming an extension of the coach on the floor, Ferrell says he hopes to build on that trust next season.

“He’s demanding, but I feel like I like that, especially for myself, ’cause that just brings more out of myself and more for our team,” Ferrell said while highlighting his relationship with Carlisle. “I just try to do everything coach (Carlisle) wants and what he asks, ’cause he’s seen success. He’s developed great guards in J.J. (Barea) and Devin (Harris), and I’ve seen the success that they’ve had. So, I’m definitely going to just keep listening to him.

“[Carlisle] gave me a lot of confidence. Even when I first got here, I had a lot of confidence going in here by just doing what he wanted. I tried not to think too much, and I just went out there and played free willingly.”

Moved to the bench after receiving his Rookie of the Month award on March 23 in a 97-95 home win over the Los Angeles Clippers, Ferrell showed that he can continue to make an impact in a reserve role. The undersized lead guard also demonstrated that he could easily slide back into the starting lineup after seeing sharpshooter Seth Curry go down with a left shoulder injury that forced him out of the final seven games. And after averaging 11.9 points, 2.9 rebounds and 4.7 assists during the month of April with Curry out, Ferrell hopes he showcased the skills that will make him the Mavs’ starting point guard going into next season.

“I feel like I am a starting point guard in this league, but I’m going to play whatever role coach (Carlisle) decides to put me in,” Ferrell proclaimed after the Mavs went 3-1 this season when he dished out at least seven assists. “I’m definitely just blessed to be here and glad to be here, and I definitely want to be here for a very long time.”

Yogi Ferrell only has one thing on his mind ahead of second season

On the heels of his first NBA season, Yogi Ferrell is out to prove that he’s much more than a flash in the pan.

Ferrell immediately took the league by storm upon signing a 10-day deal with the Mavericks in January, when in a week he went from unemployed and considering offers in Europe to tying the rookie record for most 3s made in a game.

The point guard struck out with the Brooklyn Nets, which seems almost absurd now in retrospect. In his first four games in Dallas, he averaged 17.8 points and 5.0 assists, eventually taking home February’s Western Conference Rookie of the Month Award. He ended the season with averages of 11.3 points, 4.3 assists, and 1.1 steals in 36 games for Dallas, including 29 starts. Among rookies, only Buddy Hield made more 3s per game, and only four first-year players shot it better from deep.

“There were a lot of ups and downs in my first professional season, but I’m just proud of the way I stuck with it and made the most of my opportunity,” Ferrell said last week. “But now it’s just being able to build off that opportunity into something that can be a great success story for myself.”

Indeed, there were low moments. The Nets cut Ferrell after just 10 games and he was relegated to the D-League, where he averaged 18.7 points and 5.8 assists in 18 appearances for the Long Island Nets. But NBA interest simply didn’t come. Ferrell admitted his agent was fielding offers from Europe, and had the Mavs called only a couple days later, they’d have needed to dial long-distance, because the 6-foot floor general was about to strike a deal to play in Russia.

Then, on the same night he was recognized as Rookie of the Month, his 14-game run as a starter came to an end. After setting the Indiana University record for games started, that understandably could have come as a shock to Ferrell. “No good deed goes unpunished,” head coach Rick Carlisle joked at the time.

Carlisle has very high standards when it comes to point guard play. It might not always appear this way given how simple it looks at times, but the Mavs run one of the most sophisticated offenses in the NBA. Ferrell arrived to the team when it was at a crossroads: Already on the outside of the playoff race but looking to claw back into it, the club was looking for a spark plug anywhere they could find one, and Ferrell became that guy. He played well enough to allow the Mavericks to feel more comfortable parting ways with veteran Deron Williams, who eventually signed with the Cavaliers, which speaks volumes about the immediate impact the rookie made.

But as the season wore on and the Mavs’ playoff hopes faded Carlisle didn’t lower his expectations, even for the younger players. That holds especially true for Ferrell. Carlisle never committed to calling Ferrell a starter, and at this point it’s not clear who will open the season running point. The coach did, however, give his young point guard some homework this summer.

“The biggest thing he said, which happened right after the season ended, is vision on the court,” Ferrell said. “Being able to read all different kinds of reads in the pick-and-roll. That’s the biggest thing. He knows I can shoot it and I can score, but he just said that I’ve got to focus on my vision. That comes with experience, time, and just being in and working on it in a live setting in practice.”

Fortunately for Ferrell, there have been plenty of chances to work with teammates in live settings. Several Mavs have lived in the gym since the season ended, an effort led by Harrison Barnes and Wesley Matthews, who sometimes arrive as early as 6 a.m. and who I’ve seen in the facility as late as 7 p.m. That’s a slight change of pace for the Mavericks, who in recent seasons have only had a handful of players under contract for the following season. This summer, however, the only player whose future isn’t under the Mavs’ control — either with a guaranteed season or a team option — is Nerlens Noel, who’s entering the summer as a restricted free agent. More players under contract means more guys to work out with, which can only help Ferrell.

Additionally, he might get live-game experience at the Las Vegas Summer League. Nothing is official until the roster is actually released, but the Mavs front office has suggested that any or all of the first- and second-year players from last year’s roster could make appearances in the desert next month: Ferrell, Dorian Finney-Smith, A.J. Hammons, Nicolas Brussino, and Jarrod Uthoff might all play. Ferrell averaged 8.8 points and 1.8 assists for the Nets in Vegas last summer, so perhaps he can improve upon those numbers if he receives another opportunity to play there with the Mavericks.

Among the other Mavericks in Vegas, however, might be a highly touted player at Ferrell’s position. Dallas holds the ninth pick in the June 22 NBA Draft, and there’s a very, very good chance that the club’s selection will play for the Las Vegas team as well. Many mock drafts have the Mavs drafting a point guard, and Dirk Nowitzki himself also said last week that Dallas is probably leaning that direction. That could mean Ferrell will have to compete with another young player for minutes. Does that bother him?

“I have no thoughts,” Ferrell said. “What I’ve learned from the NBA is that things can change from one hour to the next, and people can have different opinions about stuff. But I know whoever we bring in is gonna be someone that’s a winner and wants to compete.”

If the Mavs do go point guard, that player better be ready to battle for every second of playing time. Ferrell had to fight his way into the league as an undrafted free agent, and he had to fight his way back after getting cut. He had to work hard to impress his coach, and then had to work even harder to gain his trust after temporarily being removed from the starting lineup. Now, he might have to beat out a top-10 pick for playing time.

But if that’s the case, he’ll be ready to fight. He doesn’t know any other way.

Good reading.

“I was with the Nets’ D-League team and we were getting ready to play a game in Erie, PA—random city, don’t ever go there,” Ferrell remembers. “My agent called me about four hours before the game and said the Mavs wanted to sign me to a 10-day. I went straight to the airport in Erie and flew to Dallas and the next day I was the first guy out there because I needed to learn the offense."

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/yogi-ferrell-interview/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral#22gYA5w0oxpvaIku.97

The Mavericks have officially exercised their 2017/18 team option on Yogi Ferrell‘s contract, according to RealGM’s transactions log. A Saturday report had indicated that the Mavs informed Ferrell his option would be picked up.

An undrafted free agent out of Indiana, Ferrell was a revelation on his first 10-day contract with the Mavericks last winter, stepping right into the starting lineup at the point and recording 32 points in his fourth game with the club. Ferrell’s impressive first week with the franchise earned him a rest-of-season deal with a second-year option.

For the season, Ferrell averaged 11.3 PPG, 4.3 APG, and a .412/.403/.877 shooting line in 36 games (29 starts) in Dallas. He also appeared in 10 games for the Nets earlier in the season, though his numbers in Brooklyn were more modest (5.4 PPG, 1.7 APG).

As our team option tracker for 2017/18 shows, the Mavs had to make decisions on three club options before the end of the month. The club has elected to turn down its options on Dirk Nowitzki and DeAndre Liggins, though Nowitzki figures to be back on a renegotiated contract.