Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Yogi Ferrell - Partizan Basketball Club (Serbia)

Kevin Ferrell impresses Nets’ head coach Kenny Atkinson

Updated October 7, 2016 7:34 PM
By Laura Albanese  laura.albanese@newsday.com

The Nets’ undrafted point guard made a strong effort to distinguish himself in their first preseason game Thursday. Jeremy Lin was pretty good, too.

While most of the attention was focused on Lin during the Nets’ 101-94 win over the Pistons — Lin scored 21 — anyone who watched the fourth quarter can attest to the fact that his sub, Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell, made a fairly convincing case to be considered for a spot in the opening day roster. Granted, that’s not saying all that much. But when you have about a half dozen point guards coming to training camp every day, it’s pretty much an honor just to be nominated.

“I think when making the right play happens, you have a great chance of winning,” said Ferrell, who came out of out of Indiana University as a potential late second-round pick, but didn’t get a phone call on June 23. “I feel like the more wins you can get, such as myself, trying to make the team, then you can try to make your case as a valuable asset to make the roster.”

Ferrell was a dynamo off the bench, scoring five points and grabbing two rebounds in an extremely hard-nosed 12 minutes in which he ably corralled the Nets offense in a late-game surge.

“He played well,” coach Kenny Atkinson said after practice Friday. “He’s got a lot of characteristics we like. We love his explosiveness, like how he shoots it. I think he’s improving defensively, but I think those roster decisions are later down the road, but he played well last night.”

Either way, the Nets have shown an affinity for Ferrell, who signed a partially-guaranteed one-year contract worth $100,000. That came after an impressive summer league debut in which he averaged 8.8 points and 1.8 assists. At the very least, the contract means he’ll serve the Nets in some capacity this year, and if that happens to be in the D-League, so be it.

“It’s always hard for someone not to hear their name on draft night,” he said. “But you know, I always heard a lot of cases of guys going undrafted and still making a team, whether it was a summer league team or whether it’s the D-League, it’s still called up to another team. I knew my dreams weren’t over. It was just time to go back to the drawing board and figuring out what situation I wanted to go into best and I felt Brooklyn was the best opportunity for me.”

I don't see any reason he shouldn't be on the team regardless of how many guys they signed. Yogi is one of the few that can create his on shot and has range. He's always been good at running a team as well and his game is more suited for the NBA in my opinion. I know based off what I just said you'd think he was a 1st rounder, but I've watched a lot of NBA games and I just don't see how he's not at least the last guy on the roster. Regardless Yogi will continue to work and make it someway or somewhere. Lin, Lopez, RHJ & Lavert due to using a first on him are the main guys. The rest of that team is a logjam of even talent. I do like Kilpatrick though. I think age between Whitehead & Yogi may be be the only thing that would make him ahead of him.

It figures, the Nets are the featured game on NBATV and the Nets coach decides that Yogi will sit this one out.  And the Nets lost so maybe if the coach had played Yogi, the Nets might have won!!

Unfortunate for Yogi but not all that unexpected because it is the preseason and the Nets, along with all the other NBA teams, face roster decisions very soon.

Next game for the Nets is back home against the Celtics on Thursday night.

13 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Wonder what the deal is there

Looked at the team stats last night and saw that he was listed but not with the team.  Frankly, I was surprised and was hoping that it was just a coaching decision and not injury or illness.  

Been scouring Brooklyn Nets sites and all I can come up with is the following for why he didn't play in last night's game:    Another presumed ‘bubble guy’ Yogi Ferrell, wasn't with the team (personal reasons) for today’s game after playing a spirited 15 minutes against the Knicks.

In the process I did find these 2 pieces.

Will He Stay Or Can He Go written on 10/10http://www.netsdaily.com/2016/10/10/13224252/will-he-stay-or-will-he-go-yogi-ferrell

Final paragraph in the above:  In the past, Brooklyn would have to keep a player like Ferrell or lose him, period, but having a D-league team now provides the Nets with a new comfort level and allows a player like Ferrell to remain in the organization if he doesn’t make the final roster.

...Three Ways Yogi Ferrell Can Make The Final Roster written yesterdayhttp://nothinbutnets.com/2016/10/11/brooklyn-nets-yogi-ferrell/

[url=https://btownbanners.com/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BLeNzlYBO9e/][/url]

His grandmother passed away.

Tried to post the link to his Instagram post, but it isn't showing up for me.

Another DNP for Yogi as the Nets get beaten by the Celtics in Boston 120-99.  Only 1 more preseason game left and that's Thursday night against the Knicks.  Several days ago someone posted that his grandmother had passed away and I can't determine if he's re-joined the team or not.

I think everyone recognized it would be an uphill battle for Yogi and the fact that he's at least had the experience of playing in both the summer league and the preseason games is a huge plus for him.  In some respects, the D-League may not be all that bad for Yogi.  A chance to play on a consistent and regular basis against pro-level talent vs. spending the majority of his time on the bench.  Maybe more of a chance to further hone his skills and demonstrate that he's a true NBA talent.