Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie and staff are reigniting this recruitment. Good to hear that Johnson and CuJo are close.

A change in the coaching staff has done nothing to take away Indiana interest in 5-star wing Keldon Johnson.

The Boo Williams program has been good to Indiana, bringing in three Hoosiers from the state of Virginia including current NBA forward Troy Williams.
Can new coach Archie Miller land the highest ranked prospect yet from the Nike EYBL program?

The Hoosier staff is wooing 6-foot-5, 210 pound Keldon Johnson, a Huntington Prep (W.V.) product originally from Virginia.
We caught up with the Class of 2018's No. 22 ranked player during last week's NBA Players Association Top 100 Camp.
"Archie (Miller) has been in touch with me a lot," Johnson said. "He's a great person who has a winning mentality. Great to have a coach like that recruiting you."
Johnson more than lived up to his ranking at the Top 100 Camp. There he averaged 16.9 points a game, one of the highest averages all week. That earned him an All-Stars team nod and this praise from the Scout.com staff which named him one of the week's top performers.
"Johnson, a 6-foot-5 wing, was aggressive driving the ball and did a good job finishing at the basket. He plays well through physical play, scores it well in transition and is a very good rebounder for a perimeter prospect. Johnson also impressed with his passing and ability to find the open man. He tossed out 21 assists in his eight games."

Holding a host of ACC, Big East and Big Ten offers, Johnson has only made one recent campus trip.
"I visited Maryland for an unofficial," Johnson said. "Went to the team camp and visited the campus. Other than that, I haven't been anywhere else (lately)."
His older brother Kaleb is a junior-to-be at Georgetown, where he'll now play for former NBA star Patrick Ewing.
"They stay in touch a lot. Coach Pat (Ewing), coach (Louis) Orr, all the assistant coaches are staying in touch with me, " Johnson said.
But there's a bit of an unknown factor ahead there at the Big East school.
"I think the offense will change a lot with the new coach and some of the coaches that he brought it. But we have to watch them this year and just see," Johnson said.
Texas is a school that is often mentioned with him as head coach Shaka Smart spent many years in his home state as coach of VCU.
He doesn't seem afraid to venture that far away.
"It's not that big of a factor," Johnson said." I wouldn't say my college decision will be based on where the school is located. We're going to really focus on fit and things like that."

The prior IU staff under Tom Crean recruited Johnson and the rising senior told us he's friends with former Hoosier Thomas Bryant and especially so with current Hoosier Curtis Jones. Both played at Huntington Prep and Jones is a Virginia native himself who played on the EYBL circuit with Boo Williams.
"I talk with Curt pretty often," Johnson. "He says Indiana is a great program and can benefit me a lot."
We saw Johnson last year at the Top 100 Camp and he was clearly bigger physically. He also was playing more point guard this time around. He finished the week averaging nearly three assists a contest.
"I have been practicing on learning to play point," Johnson said. "Working on my handles a lot. So now when it is time to apply it, so it is second nature."
He also was much more aggressive defensively, finishing the week among the leaders in overall steals.
You have to get down and defend now, especially at a camp like this," Johnson said. "You just can't give up easy buckets."
Johnson still sees plenty to work on before he suits up for the next level.
"I have to get my three-point shot more consistent. That is what a lot of teams look for now. Then I have get my body stronger so when I go to the hole I can finish better. "
At this point he told us he wasn't sure if he'll be looking to sign this fall or spring.
"My dad and I will sit down after we see how things go," Johnson said.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This would be a good plan B if Romeo goes someplace else or Johnson and Langford also have enough size to play together on the wings with Garland, Phinisee, Green, Carey, or someone else running the point.

Scored in double figures in all 16 games.  Only attempted 19 - 3's in 16 games. so don't be overly concerned about the 26%; he's not a chucker.  Nearly averaged double digit rebounds as a SG.  Went to the line 126 times so he apparently likes to take it to the bucket and not afraid of contact.  

Keldon Johnson '18 (SG)  - Boo Williams        
Date Pts. FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.

Avg 20.7 52%   75%   26%   9 3 3 2 0
# Gms 16                      

I honestly think I would prefer him over Langford if we don't get Garland. We would need Garland and Langford to compete in 18. 

But Johnson might stick around for 19 could be very valuable to have such a great talent to pair with some stellar freshmen. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I honestly think I would prefer him over Langford if we don't get Garland. We would need Garland and Langford to compete in 18. 

But Johnson might stick around for 19 could be very valuable to have such a great talent to pair with some stellar freshmen. 

Understand the interest in playing out the "which recruit would help more" question Brass. The good news is...we don't need to restrict who we will give a full court press to. IU will gladly pursue Romeo, Johnson, Garland, Dort, Carey, and others that are truly high-level, and we'll have room for as many as want to buy in. 

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Understand the interest in playing out the "which recruit would help more" question Brass. The good news is...we don't need to restrict who we will give a full court press to. IU will gladly pursue Romeo, Johnson, Garland, Dort, Carey, and others that are truly high-level, and we'll have room for as many as want to buy in. 

Very true.