Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

Troy Williams Decision

Then they should have benched his butt....permanently.

What I took from it was that it was after the season, when Troy began preparing for the draft. Dakich was saying even though he had put his name in the draft, he was still on the team and should have been acting like he was, but instead was doing his own thing.

What I took from it was that it was after the season, when Troy began preparing for the draft. Dakich was saying even though he had put his name in the draft, he was still on the team and should have been acting like he was, but instead was doing his own thing.

Janitorinthegym reported that as it was happening. I know as fans we want every player to buy into playing for IU but some are motivated by other things.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Based off The Herald Times article, it sounds like Uncle Boo wanted him to come back. He said something along the lines of being old-school when it comes to staying or going early. Ultimately it was Troy's decision and he felt he was ready to move on.

No doubt he would have helped out this team on the court if he wanted to be back. But if he didn't want to be here, then it wouldn't have been helpful for him to come back.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Janitorinthegym reported that as it was happening. I know as fans we want every player to buy into playing for IU but some are motivated by other things.

The elusive 'chemistry'. Obviously I don't know what kind of teammate TW is/was or what goes on behind the scenes, but looking at next season's roster it appears to have a lot of 'positive' players: Rojo, Colin, Bryant, OG & Morgan all seem like team first type of guys. So attitude may be THE biggest difference from a couple of years ago. Is this team more talented than the Vonleh/Perea/Hollowell teams? Maybe a little, but definitely seems much more likable.

Come on man, Let's not overreact to things we know nothing about.

Troy Williams is a hard guy to leave off the court. There is SOoooooo much more that goes into his playing time than Boo's pipeline.

Cream was coaching for his life. He knew he needed to win. He clearly thought Troy gave him his best chance.

Also, we all noticed that Troy's PT was cutback last season in games with bad Troy. Mom Williams didn't like it too much.

Anyway... Let's not pretend to know the intricacies of this one, of which I'm sure there are plenty.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

How is that overreacting? It would indeed be incredibly stupid, if it were true.

I feel like people just like to pick on X-Hoosier

How is that overreacting? It would indeed be incredibly stupid, if it were true.

I feel like people just like to pick on X-Hoosier

Because there is zero evidence that Crean played Troy to keep the "pipeline" open. Calling Crean stupid for something that has zero evidence is an overreaction. He could of worded his response in a diplomatic way and it wouldn't have been as harsh or an overreaction.

I'm not the guy that sticks up for Crean no matter what either. IMO Crean has done some silly things but it's unfair to call him stupid for something he probably never did. Also IMO it's crude to call him stupid regardless.

I actually agree with x Hoosier more than most on here.

Because there is zero evidence that Crean played Troy to keep the "pipeline" open. Calling Crean stupid for something that has zero evidence is an overreaction. He could of worded his response in a diplomatic way and it wouldn't have been as harsh or an overreaction.

I'm not the guy that sticks up for Crean no matter what either. IMO Crean has done some silly things but it's unfair to call him stupid for something he probably never did. Also IMO it's crude to call him stupid regardless.

I actually agree with x Hoosier more than most on here.

I wasn't saying that is what Crean did. I was saying if that was a reason then he screwed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

I wasn't saying that is what Crean did. I was saying if that was a reason then he screwed up.

So many avenues here.

No reason to believe he did, first.

Secondly, let's pretend he did. (Played Troy to keep good relationships)

IF so, how can we judge he screwed up? Wouldn't it have to play out multiple years to know the impact of these relationships?

Just too many assumptions being made in my opinion.

The interesting hypothetical debate would be, is it "stupid" to play Troy to maintain good recruiting relationships. It's not like Troy was chopped liver. He is an NBA athlete, with borderline NBA skills, and below average decision making skills.

So many avenues here.

IF so, how can we judge he screwed up? Wouldn't it have to play out multiple years to know the impact of these relationships?

The interesting hypothetical debate would be, is it "stupid" to play Troy to maintain good recruiting relationships. It's not like Troy was chopped liver. He is an NBA athlete, with borderline NBA skills, and below average decision making skills.

There was quite a stretch where Troy didn't belong on the floor. The biggest was anytime we played Michigan State it seemed.

So many avenues here.

I guess yeah just clearing it up...neither one of us said that's what Crean did, someone else made a what if. I think it would be a poor choice if he did...maybe stupid wasn't the word to use for you.

Either way...I believe you should play the best player for the team, period. As a recruit, I would want to know that's what is happening at the school I would be playing at.

And back to the topic: woo go Troy!

My gut tells me there was something more to the Troy-Crean relationship. Whether it had something to do with recruiting or just Crean feeling sorry for a troubled kid, who knows. Facts are the kid got a ton of playing time even though there were a ton of screw ups on and off the court. Other guys were shown the door for similar culture issues yet Troy was allowed to stay. Why?

My gut tells me there was something more to the Troy-Crean relationship. Whether it had something to do with recruiting or just Crean feeling sorry for a troubled kid, who knows. Facts are the kid got a ton of playing time even though there were a ton of screw ups on and off the court. Other guys were shown the door for similar culture issues yet Troy was allowed to stay. Why?

I think because Troy has freakish athleticism. I think he was hoping for next Vic, but got a person with less commitment.

I think because Troy has freakish athleticism. I think he was hoping for next Vic, but got a person with less commitment.

Every year Crean has that player we ask wtf did he do to get that much run? Troy was that player for the last 3 years.

Great post, and I see the dynamic also. I also think I know why it happens. It seems like coach has a real need to want to make something out of nothing. Sometimes it's because of a challenging personality that he wants to transform, and sometimes it's an undervalued athlete that he wants to try to turn into a superstar. Coach gets a real charge out of this facet of his job.

I think he learned his lesson with the challenging personalities, because he seems to be truly shying away from them after being burned one too many times.

Isn't it about timing? The Halloween incident was the straw that broke the camels back and incidents after that (Holt, DD and Perea) guys had to leave. Did Troy do something after those three got the boot?

2 hours ago, Iufan2324 said:
http://collegepridepress.com/big10/iu/a-look-to-next-year-hoosiers/

article bout IU w/o Troy a great read

Good God. I hope that article was not written by Indiana University student or graduate. While I wouldn't think it proper to critique grammar and punctuation on a message board, something like this is published, and should be written at least at a high school level.

Good God. I hope that article was not written by Indiana University student or graduate. While I wouldn't critique grammar and punctuation on a message board, something that is published should be written at least at a high school level.

The minutes didn't even add up to 200