Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bittersince87

The New York Mets discussion thread.

It’s a good thing the on-field product should be must see TV as that organization has absolutely botched two consecutive offseason managerial hirings - Beltran and now Porter. Two different owners no less. To quote David Hasselhoff “It’s a mess”

Mets have to be the first team in history to fire a new manager and a new GM in back to back seasons without either one making it to spring training.

And speaking of Porter, what is the thought process of being ignored by this girl for 3 months and deciding that a picture of your junk will woo her over?

7 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Mets have to be the first team in history to fire a new manager and a new GM in back to back seasons without either one making it to spring training.

And speaking of Porter, what is the thought process of being ignored by this girl for 3 months and deciding that a picture of your junk will woo her over?

He's persistent, probably an attribute you want in your GM when trying to acquire free agents, but not so much when pursuing females. And based on his interview the junk was "kinda like joke-stock photo" if you believe that.

The back to back years of botching a major hire amazed me as well. What I don't get is how the Cubs say they weren't aware. The reporter said she contacted a Cubs employee who sat down with Porter and her. How does that not get made aware of anyone higher up in the organization? Something not really adding up to me there, but doubt anything comes of that

4 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

It’s a good thing the on-field product should be must see TV as that organization has absolutely botched two consecutive offseason managerial hirings - Beltran and now Porter. Two different owners no less. To quote David Hasselhoff “It’s a mess”

You’re ignorance is showing .  This is a new management, they saw the problem and did right buy eliminating it within 9 hours at 8am this morning.  The bigger picture your conveniently ignoring to score a few “aha gotcha points” is that this guy went through the Red Sox, Cubs and Diamondbacks organization and was courted by many organizations.  The reality is this is prevalent in baseball front offices because it’s an all boys clubs.  

Only four people knew of this and from all accounts there was no way of finding out what he did unless Porter divulged it himself  in the interview because the woman did not to divulge the information till now.  

A mess up would be finding out then keeping the guy but we fired him within 9 hours.  There are scumbags everywhere. The true character of any organization that has many employees is to take the information , then make the appropriate decision. I’m good and  from checking from my fellow Met fans (female and male) we took the proper steps in handling the situation. 

Just now, Banksyrules said:

You’re ignorance is showing .  This is a new management, they saw the problem and did right buy eliminating it within 9 hours at 8am this morning.  The bigger picture your conveniently ignoring to score a few “aha gotcha points” is that this guy went through the Red Sox, Cubs and Diamondbacks organization and was courted by many organizations.  The reality is this is prevalent in baseball front offices because it’s an all boys clubs.  

Only four people knew of this and from all accounts there was no way of finding out what he did unless Porter divulged it himself  in the interview because the woman did not to divulge the information till now.  

A mess up would be finding out then keeping the guy but we fired him within 9 hours.  There are scumbags everywhere. The true character of any organization that has many employees is to take the information , then make the appropriate decision. I’m good and  from checking from my fellow Met fans (female and male) we took the proper steps in handling the situation. 

How am I ignorant? Beltran and Porter both didn't make it to Spring Training. Maybe you're misunderstanding me, but I applaud the quick action in firing him.

Cohen did just take over this team, correct? He wasn't around for the Beltran hiring, or is my timeline mixed up there?

As far as the gotcha points - I'm not sure what you're driving at - all I was pointing out was that, yes, he was with the DBacks and Cubs and reports are that a Cubs employee sat down with Porter and the female reporter so someone in the Cubs organization knew, but if he made anyone aware in upper management is unknown, at least at this time, from the article I read this morning.

Generally confused, if anything I think the Mets are the ones that look good from this in how quick they acted, but just the hirings in the GM and manager spots the past two seasons haven't worked out, to say the least.

When you use the term “Botching” you’re implying that the organization should have known and we were being incompetent.  In both situations the information was presented out of the blue but the appropriate action was taken.  The Red Sox are botchers because they fired a guy as well........ but then rehired him.  That’s botching.   I’m happy to acknowledge stupid dumb front office baseball decisions but this is something out of anyone’s control.  

Just now, Banksyrules said:

When you use the term “Botching” you’re implying that the organization should have known and we were being incompetent.  In both situations the information was presented out of the blue but the appropriate action was taken.  The Red Sox are botchers because they fired a guy as well........ but then rehired him.  That’s botching.   I’m happy to acknowledge stupid dumb front office baseball decisions but this is something out of anyone’s control.  

Ok, botching may not be the correct term. My point still stands that two hires were made in consecutive off-seasons that failed to make it to Spring Training, whether they knew or not, which they didn't obviously. 37 days ago the front-office was praising Porter's character during his introductory press conference, and now here we are. In terms of the news cycle this will be forgotten by tomorrow, so I apologize if I upset you, I just found this combined with the Beltran saga to be quite ironic.

Clearly this new Mets ownership has infused some life (money) into that organization which has renewed excitement that I expect this to be a bump on the road when the games start. They should be must see TV with the talent they've accumulated, especially if that pitching staff is at full strength.

My phrasing was clumsy so for that I apologize.

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

Ok, botching may not be the correct term. My point still stands that two hires were made in consecutive off-seasons that failed to make it to Spring Training, whether they knew or not, which they didn't obviously. 37 days ago the front-office was praising Porter's character during his introductory press conference, and now here we are. In terms of the news cycle this will be forgotten by tomorrow, so I apologize if I upset you, I just found this combined with the Beltran saga to be quite ironic.

Clearly this new Mets ownership has infused some life (money) into that organization which has renewed excitement that I expect this to be a bump on the road when the games start. They should be must see TV with the talent they've accumulated, especially if that pitching staff is at full strength.

My phrasing was clumsy so for that I apologize.

Ok. Cool. Sorry if I sounded defensive