Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

A question I have been dying to ask anyone who may know, even before Garland made his decision, but didn't want to really push the conversation in this direction.

It seems Vandy has all of the sudden become this basketball recruiting powerhouse. They are in on all these big time recruits. Many are speculating they have a chance to get all three that they are after.

How much do you think Bryce has learned about recruiting from his dad?

A question I have been dying to ask anyone who may know, even before Garland made his decision, but didn't want to really push the conversation in this direction.
It seems Vandy has all of the sudden become this basketball recruiting powerhouse. They are in on all these big time recruits. Many are speculating they have a chance to get all three that they are after.

The question is is he following his dads approach or his brothers? Homer seemed a great and honest guy and often found kids overseas. General consensus on his brother Scott is that he is shady.

Hopefully Bryce is able to recruit clean and coach well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I like this a lot, Stu.

Sometimes we get caught up in skill sets, athletic ability, God-given talent, etc and forget the intangibles.

Players' mentalities are going to be more heavily weighted and rewarded during CAM's era.

The big payoff is when you find kids with the toughness and mentality it takes to win who also have extraordinary ability and skill sets. 

12 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

The question is is he following his dads approach or his brothers? Homer seemed a great and honest guy and often found kids overseas. General consensus on his brother Scott is that he is shady.

Hopefully Bryce is able to recruit clean and coach well.

Yeah, sorry - I got his dad and brother mixed up. I was referring to Scott.

Good ole Bryce Drew. I wonder if he still keeps tabs of Hanner? 

College basketball is shady, hence the big FBI scandal. Maybe Bryce is shady, we'll probably never know. But him going to Vandy shouldn't be all to shocking considering it's basically in his backyard. Two other top recruits interested in Vandy really just tells me that Vandy has always been Garlands top choice. 

The big payoff is when you find kids with the toughness and mentality it takes to win who also have extraordinary ability and skill sets. 

Yes! And I forgot another quality: Coachability. A kid that wants to learn. A kid that wants direction. And for crying out loud a kid that can handle a butt chewing from time to time.

2 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Yes! And I forgot another quality: Coachability. A kid that wants to learn. A kid that wants direction. And for crying out loud a kid that can handle a butt chewing from time to time.

Amen!! I'm right there with you brother!

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

College basketball is shady, hence the big FBI scandal. Maybe Bryce is shady, we'll probably never know. But him going to Vandy shouldn't be all to shocking considering it's basically in his backyard. Two other top recruits interested in Vandy really just tells me that Vandy has always been Garlands top choice. 

Bryce had nothing to do with Hanner, that was his brother Scott.

I've posted this before, but it seems like it is warranted again. I've known the Drew family for almost 50 years. Homer and Bryce are some of the most genuine people I've ever met. I have no earthly clue what happened to Scott. I would be shocked if Bryce chose to follow in his brothers shady footsteps, but as you say, college hoops is shady business and even the most honorable have fallen to temptation.

2 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

I've posted this before, but it seems like it is warranted again. I've known the Drew family for almost 50 years. Homer and Bryce are some of the most genuine people I've ever met. I have no earthly clue what happened to Scott. I would be shocked if Bryce chose to follow in his brothers shady footsteps, but as you say, college hoops is shady business and even the most honorable have fallen to temptation.

I know someone who's son went to high school with Bryce and played basketball and tennis with him. Has nothing but good things to say about he and Homer. I think Bryce is a good dude. It just so happened that Darius wanted to stay close to home and Vandy gave him that option. Just because it worked out that way doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the way he was recruited. 

32 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Yeah I put down the wrong name, that's my bad. There's too many of them. 

He's Scott's brother. If he lands all three top ten guys something shady is going on imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

My question is how is this shittu guy from Canada this big vandy lean? What's the connection. Just seems odd vandy is on with all these top 10 guys all of a sudden

He's Scott's brother. If he lands all three top ten guys something shady is going on imo.

Well, let’s go ahead and apply this same logic across the board. Sean Miller is landing top classes and involved in an FBI investigation for paying players. That must mean...

Well, let’s go ahead and apply this same logic across the board. Sean Miller is landing top classes and involved in an FBI investigation for paying players. That must mean...

Miller hasn't landed 3 top 10 guys or is even being considered by 3 top 10 guys.

Miller hasn't landed 3 top 10 guys or is even being considered by 3 top 10 guys.

I meant Archie but yeah now we know why sean Miller got these great classes. He paid players. Out of nowhere he comes vandy. It's a miracle.

Give it a rest, dude.  Four straight posts alleging that anyone recruiting better than us must be cheating.  Bryce Drew got lucky.  He's got a decade long relationship with a kid who is top ten, and happens to live next door.  That same kid is a connector (Malcolm Gladwell, anyone) and has been recruiting his buds to Vandy for a while.  It's a specific set of circumstances that leads to a shot at a one-year recruiting bonanza.  Drew may win this year, and he'll try to parlay that into future classes.  
Same token, IU has a shot a some good players right now:  Romeo, Watford, Brooks, TJD.  They're not flooding in from around the country, woo-ed by our dusty banners.  We are lucky to have pre-existing connections to these kids, be they geographical or relationships with the staff.  Nothing untoward.  
This board is great because by and large posters provide some value when they post.  Try that.

I can say what I want. Sorry you don't like it but you can ignore me if you'd like

Give it a rest, dude.  Four straight posts alleging that anyone recruiting better than us must be cheating.  Bryce Drew got lucky.  He's got a decade long relationship with a kid who is top ten, and happens to live next door.  That same kid is a connector (Malcolm Gladwell, anyone) and has been recruiting his buds to Vandy for a while.  It's a specific set of circumstances that leads to a shot at a one-year recruiting bonanza.  Drew may win this year, and he'll try to parlay that into future classes.  
Same token, IU has a shot a some good players right now:  Romeo, Watford, Brooks, TJD.  They're not flooding in from around the country, woo-ed by our dusty banners.  We are lucky to have pre-existing connections to these kids, be they geographical or relationships with the staff.  Nothing untoward.  
This board is great because by and large posters provide some value when they post.  Try that.

Well said

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

58 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Hurt is still a possibility as well.

17 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Watch what you say about Gary. I'm from there and am a helluva good guy. 

You'll have to excuse me. I work in corrections and spent 4 years working at a prison in Indiana. Most of my encounters with individuals from Gary weren't what you would call positive.