Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

Man this just feels like the choice is going to be IU. I know some, if not most think otherwise, but My gut is telling me it’s us. HH was a big turning point in this recruitment, I think we can all agree on that. If it is true that he was close to pulling the trigger for us after the visits, but held off to make the best decision for himself I think it solidifies it. He came off that visit and his family told him not to make an impulse decision, he then takes a few weeks to go over everything. His family writes down the pros and cons two weekends ago. Seeing everything on paper makes it clear what he had known since HH. Indiana was where his head and heart resides. That’s what his dad meant, he knew it was IU for weeks. The family meeting cemented it. 

3 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I'm feeling good about this, dudes. I think HH did the job. He received so much love in Bloomington that it tempers whatever he thought he'd gain by staying home.

I'll tell my story about Darius one more time. I got to watch Darius play in April at EYBL. I didn't know who he was or anything about him. Someone on here (Old Fart?) had provided a list of targets playing at the event, so I was just matching up jersey numbers to players as they came out on the court. Keion, Carey, Swider, King, Brooks, Watford, etc. I got to see a ton of guys, in addition to all the great players there that weren't IU targets. Before Garland's game I saw him and his team take the court. Darius was the last guy you'd assume was a star, or 5* recruit. Smallish, under-developed compared to what is around. Tucking in his undershirt and jersey, tying his shoes. Nothing noteworthy.

Game starts, and he is immediately going 1.5 times the speed of anyone else on the court. Ball in his hands, and you see him setting up something in his mind 3/4 court away from the basket. He'd get down there and squirt through the defense in ways you've never seen, and sneak in passes no one would expect. His scoring is crafty, too. Floaters and pull-up stuff, creating himself space for a shot aside from driving to the hoop or spotting up for a 3. The guy was a star, and I got the feeling this was the last time I'd get to sit courtside to see him without paying hundreds for my seat.

After the game he was back to being nothing but a nice kid. He took time to take pics with youngsters in the crowd and say hi to anyone in the crowd that asked.

I came away from the weekend being most impressed with Darius. I assumed he'd be a UK or Duke commit. Obviously things have played out differently since then, and we find ourselves in a two horse race with his hometown Vandy. Dammit if that doesn't make me like him even more!! 

The pull for him to stay home is real. I like Bashville, Vandy as an institution, and generally will root for Coach Drew under different circumstances. On Instagram, Darius would post of him hanging out with a 1yr old little girl (assumed a sister or niece or cousin) pretty often, and it looked like he was just very happy with his family life. I get the feeling that Darius is a very nice kid.

I think we get him, but I'll be okay if we don't. But daaaaang do I hope we do.

Sidenote: Anyone know if it will be streamed??

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/11/13/darius-garland-commits-watch-live-stream-brentwood-academy-star-announce-decision/856787001/

Going to get absolutely nothing done at work today. Also I don't think it leaks today. If the family tells the coaching staffs before hand, it's going to be literally right before the announcement with not enough time for it to filter out.

That's how I would do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

Every crystal ball could switch to Vandy and every recruiting expert could guess that it’s Vandy today and it would not change my thoughts on this. The Garlands are playing this so close to the family, there’s very little chance(if not no chance) that anything leaks. Unless Rabby drops a hint or something, I don’t think anyone knows. No one has been closer to this recruitment than him and Daniels.  So when the CB’s flip or when people come out and say it’s Vandy, don’t take it as gospel. People won’t  know until we do or about 5 minutes before then. 

It's Vandy folks.  Sorry but it is.  Romeo likely following unless we have a big year.  Again sorry.  I wish it was different. 

Thanks for letting us down gently. We really appreciate the heads-up when it comes to being disappointed. I was going to go into shock and depression, but I think I'll be able to handle it now.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's Vandy folks.  Sorry but it is.  Romeo likely following unless we have a big year.  Again sorry.  I wish it was different. 

Lol. Close the thread folks. Looks like Dbmhoosier has the inside scoop. Might as well close the TJD, Watford, and Brooks threads too. SMH.